Brewer Fanatic

One final "All In Move": Johnny Damon

Can he still play CF? That's the question. He did steal 11 bases last year so he can run better than Edmonds.

But what better bat to add than Damon? He'd add another lefty to the lineup. He'd fill the gaping hole in the number 2 slot. He's got tons of playoff experience.

If you're going to go all in, go all in.

Can he still play CF? That's the question.
One could argue that he never could. He'd be fine in LF, but he'd most likely be a disaster in center.

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I don't think Damon has it to play CF anymore.

First, his arm is a rag. He' better suited for LF.

Second, looking at Fangraphs, he hasn't played there full time since 2006. And the results at that time (and the part time play in CF in 2007 and 08) aren't great at all:

2008 - 34 games: -5.3 UZR

2007 - 48 games: -1.0 UZR

2006 - 131 games: -8.2 UZR

2005 - 147 games: -16.8 UZR

2004 - 148 games: -8.4 UZR

2003 - 144 games: -4 UZR

I can't imagine he'd be better at this stage of his career.

Can he still play CF? That's the question.
One could argue that he never could. He'd be fine in LF, but he'd most likely be a disaster in center.

Disaster is a strong word. Detroit had him out there for 4 games last year. Brewer rotation fanned 825 guys combined last year. Galllardo and Grienke figure to each fan 200. That's a lot of outs where the only defense needed is the catcher holding on or blocking the ball.

The question is whether inserting a .355 on base hitter in the 2 hole ahead of murderers row instead of a .295 on base guy will offset the additional runs allowed by having a below average glove in CF. I think it would. Keep in mind to that CF in Miller Park is less spacious than Detroit or Yankee Stadium and you can much more easily manuever defensive replacements in the NL in late innings.

As to his price, well he made $8 million last year, so it will probably take $6-7 million for this year. But as I mentioned, if you're going all in go all in.

Second, looking at Fangraphs, he hasn't played there full time since 2006. And the results at that time (and the part time play in CF in 2007 and 08) aren't great at all:

I don't think there's any question he's better suited to LF and I agree the issue isn't his ability to cover ground as much but his arm. But really how many extra bases are taken on the CF's arm over the course of a season? Anyone recall that Edmonds couldn't throw a lick last year either?

I don't think there's any question he's better suited to LF and I agree the issue isn't his ability to cover ground as much but his arm. But really how many extra bases are taken on the CF's arm over the course of a season? Anyone recall that Edmonds couldn't throw a lick last year either due to a balky shoulder?

While he maybe can't play CF, I swear some posters here think that there are a grand total of seven human beings alive on planet earth that can play center field.
Well, the Brewers have three of them on their roster: Gomez, Dickerson and Boggs.

I'd also take Hart in CF over Damon, I think.

Damon was more or less an everyday CFer from 2003-2007 - 7th most plays by a CFer in that time span. Over that span, Damon was -10 UZR/150, 2nd worst in baseball for qualified players.

LINK1

Damon had a TZ of -39 over that span - the worst in baseball for qualified players.

LINK2

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

Boggs sure sounds like a spare-part type of guy. I like the suggestion of Podsednik a lot and hoped they would've gone after him at the trade deadline last year -- not that he would've saved the season, only that he would've saved us from more Gomez.

I do think it'd be poetically wonderful if Podsednik could come along and steal CF from not one but two of the fastest & most talented but hard-headed CFers in all of Brewers' history. (Alex Sanchez is the other, for those with short memories.)

Damon could be a -10 run guy in CF, but he's also off the chart bad in RF. With no DH, he'd basically be Braun's backup and a PH.

Also, are his numbers any better than Dickerson's anyway?

If they did sign another OF, it'd be great if he had HR power and the ability to play somewhere else. I don't see Damon as a fit.

The question is whether inserting a .355 on base hitter in the 2 hole ahead of murderers row instead of a .295 on base guy will offset the additional runs allowed by having a below average glove in CF.

How is that the question? Hart can bat 2nd. Has our new manager engraved stone tablets with Betancourt batting 2nd?

Detroit had Damon DH 97 games last year. How many times have players been a DH one season and then been a CF the next?

Chances are he would be pretty bad defensively, but if he was limited to a platoon role, I would think he would be projected to be a better overall player in CF than our current options. I just am not sure it would be worth the money Damon would be expecting given the Brewers payroll.

Archived