Brewer Fanatic

Counsell signs one-year contract for $1.4M

owbc

Not surprising, but I'm glad it's done. His versatility and plate discipline make him an important part of our bench. Of course, if we don't add another SS, Craig could see a lot of starts in 2011... I hope his 40-year-old body can hold up.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

It's a start to resolving the Betancourt issue, but I'd still like to see another guy to limit Betancourt to limited starts, and pinch hitting

Like him or not, with our payroll where its at already, that person might be Luis Cruz

It's a start to resolving the Betancourt issue, but I'd still like to see another guy to limit Betancourt to limited starts, and pinch hitting
Betancourt is probably as terrible as everyone says; still, I don't want this team carrying 3 shortstops. That would only make the Betancourt dilemma worse.

Maybe not the place for this, but our new SPs may finally get us to go with a 12-man pitching staff so we can have a full 5-man bench. Do we spend two spots on Counsell and Cruz as defensive replacements for Betancourt?

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

That picture finally illustrates why Counsell gave up that goofy stance :-)

~Bill Walsh

Yes, I would be surprised if they open the season with a 13-man staff. Counsell and Cruz both have jobs right now if Gamel doesn't make the team.

Couldn't Counsell, Cruz and Gamel all make it, if you consider Gamel the 5th OF?

Yes, I would be surprised if they open the season with a 13-man staff. Counsell and Cruz both have jobs right now if Gamel doesn't make the team.

Couldn't Counsell, Cruz and Gamel all make it, if you consider Gamel the 5th OF?

Possibly. I'd guess Boggs & Dickerson are the backup OF. With Counsell and the backup catcher, that would leave one open spot. Cruz and Gamel seem to be the top choices for that spot as the roster currently sits. Of course, we could always add another player, or we could dump Betancourt and platoon Counsell and Cruz, which after looking at Betancourt's numbers is what I'd like to see happen.

~Bill Walsh

I think they should released Betancourt after spring training if he doesn't win a starting job. It is not hard to find a backup caliber guy with his bat that actually plays good defense.
I seriously doubt they're just going to throw away $4M in salary.

As much as Betancourt has some bad numbers to live down and out-play, he's still a .270+ career hitter who hit 16 HRs and drove in 78 runs last year. If he did that as a Brewers player last year, half this board would be talking about his value as a run producer outweighing his sometimes-lousy defense.

I'm not apologizing Betancourt's shortcomings. But it's also not like he's the 2nd coming of Enrique Cruz, Kiki Diaz, Willie Lozado, Brian Giles (the SS, not the OF), and '82-vintage Rob Picciolo all rolled into one.

p.s. I like the Counsell re-signing and had hoped for it since long before the season was over.

Great to see Counsell come back. I love seeing him play in Milwaukee(also, this gives him his 6th year in MKE, tied for most in his career with Arizona).
Hopefully this means he'll be inducted into the Hall of Fame as a Brewer.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Great to see Counsell come back. I love seeing him play in Milwaukee(also, this gives him his 6th year in MKE, tied for most in his career with Arizona).
Hopefully this means he'll be inducted into the Hall of Fame as a Brewer.
Only if he drives in the winning hit of the final game of the World Series this year. So I'd say its pretty probable! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Archived