Brewer Fanatic

What FA's Could/Should Be Targeted to Round Out the Roster?

I'm assuming that's how Peavey meant it, MNBrew. If the Brewers want to put that money towards this year's budget, they only owe Yuni $1M. They could then treat the $2M buyout for '11 as just a part of the '11 budget.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How about bringing back Russell Branyan if he'd accept a 1 yr or MLD? He could provide power off the bench and cover both corner INF and outfield positions. Not a real need I concede, but would allow Gamel to get regular playing time at AAA until a Prince trade or Injuries.

I'm assuming that's how Peavey meant it, MNBrew. If the Brewers want to put that money towards this year's budget, they only owe Yuni $1M.

Yep, that was my point. They owe him 3 million overall, but they could be creative about how they pay/budget it if they'd like.

They went over budget last year. This year they should as well. I think it actually makes more sense to go over budget this year than it did last year. I know it has come up several times now but those few extra marginal wins in 2011 are huge.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Gamel is probably a better and cheaper option than Branyan. Any money on bench players is a waste if we don't upgrade SS.
Hate Betancourt all you want, but you still need competent bats on the bench -- and not just a bunch of singles hitters.

Right now, the experience factor (outside of Counsell) and the power factor on our bench are extremely low, which could mean trouble when you need to hit for the pitcher with the game on the line.

Say what you want about Edmonds, but that guy was a positive difference maker at the plate late in a lot of games.

Chris Ray was non-tendered by the Giants. He was a combined 5-0, with a 3.72 ERA and 1.311 WHIP for the Rangers and Giants in 2010. He was lights out against the Brewers in 4 games allowing a single hit, and striking out 3.

He's still only 29. He's got closing experience. He shouldn't be overly expensive and would be a nice addition to the bullpen.

If Gomez, Benecourt and McGehee (Gamel on bench) sit every third day, our bench looks much better. It is all about matching your hitters to the opposing starting pitcher. Maybe we have that in our new manager. One can only hope.

That being said, sign Willie Harris. He, along with Benecourt and Gamel (McGehee) can give us power off the bench.

Hate Betancourt all you want, but you still need competent bats on the bench

This is exactly why we hate Betancourt.

Personally, we are right in the area of team skill that an extra asset or two increases our playoff odds substantially. That's why I like the Saito signing so much. So, I'd go out and get what I can.

Any of the elite SSs on the market, whether it's O-Cab or Renteria or whoever, would be a massive upgrade over Betancourt.

Lastings Milledge is the kind of utility OFer that I'd like to see brought in to provide depth at the corners. He has long term upside too.

- Betancourt would be as bad a bench candidate as a starting candidate if everyone's hate for him is that justified. So putting him on the bench, by most people's apparent logic here, weakens the bench.

- Sorry, Mr. Southpaw, but I just don't think there's any way McGehee's sitting every third day. Are you saying you'd really want McGehee's .300 BA, 100 RBIs, & .800 OPS out of the starting lineup for 1/3 of the season? Or just that if he were on the bench, he'd strengthen it? If it's the latter, you could say the same thing if Braun & Fielder & Weeks were on the bench more: Sure, you get a stronger bench, but at what cost?

MNB said

" Are you saying you'd really want McGehee's .300 BA, 100

RBIs, & .800 OPS out of the starting lineup for 1/3 of the season?"

I am saying that if Gamel makes the team, he needs to start more than just once in a while. When we face a rightie that Gamel has some success with or McGehee does not have success with, it would be a perfect time to start Gamel. Or maybe McGehee just needs a day off. Or maybe Mcgehee is slumping and needs a couple of days to sit and think. Or maybe McGehee can give Weeks a day off. Or maybe McGehee tweaks one of his finely tuned hamstrings.

I think a good manager can find 55 games during the year for Gamel to start. If he can, I think Gamel will produce number similar to McGehee. If he can't, Gamel should not be on the roster and sent to AAA.

I wouldn't mind taking a gamble on Andruw Jones as our 4th outfielder. He had an .827 OPS last year while playing all 3 outfield positions, and only got paid 500k last season.
Jones isn't a bad idea, but I'm not sure if he can produce if he only got 175 AB's.

If you prefer not to use Gamel off the bench, and want a cheap veteran lefty bat, Mark Kotsay might not be a bad choice. The Sox had a lot of outfielders last year and didn't use him defensively much, but he can certainly still play some OF. Offensively he's never been great but he's still useful.

Archived