Brewer Fanatic

Power 50 Shakeup -- Latest: New P50 is up!

madbad2000

The only difference between a guy flaming out at AA/AAA or rookie ball is that perhaps you can fool someone into thinking they are a decent prospect in A-ball and include them in a trade for a major leaguer. Other than that there isn't much difference

But that's a huge difference. Draft picks ultimately turn out to be valuable to the organization in so many ways, shapes and forms. The longer the prospect is successful, the the more value that player has to the organization, whether it be on performance, in trade, etc.

The only question is whether there were a number of guys drafted shortly after them who go on to be solid major leaguers. The gauge of a draft is whether or not overall you did better, the same, or worse than most other teams.

I know you use this for both the NFL and MLB to gauge a team's success drafting. I don't necessarily agree with the rationale, as you need to use the draft, regardless of what other teams are doing, to build a successful foundation for your organization. I could care less how the Brewers compare to other teams, the only thing that matters is the end result. If the end result isn't good, something needs to change.

I harp on this quite a bit, and talk about it as selecting the right player. I often use this in reference to teams that don't take players due to their financial aspirations. I don't have a problem with the Pirates passing on B.J. Upton in 2002, or the Padres not taking Stephen Drew, Jered Weaver, Justin Verlander or Jeff Niemann in '04, but you had better make sure you take the right player when you do so. The draft is all about players, not teams, and each draft has individual talent.

In a similar light, I don't have a problem with the Brewers taking players that were relative surprises where they were taken, such as Max Walla, Evan Frederickson or even Josh Murray. However, and again, you have to make sure you take the right players. The Brewers have had some late-round scores, but lately they've been missing on their early round "reaches."

And just because the 2000 draft wasn't particularly fruitful (at least in the first round), that doesn't mean the selection of David Krynzel wasn't disappointing.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could care less how the Brewers compare to other teams, the only thing that matters is the end result.

My point was what if that entire draft year was a stinker? I don't think you can say a pick was a bad pick if almost all of the next 30 picks were just as bad. You only have a certain bucket of players to choose from each year, and in baseball you can't trade the picks - you have to pick someone. If you want to reference the 2000 draft, are you saying that the only teams with competent scouts in 2000 were the Phillies and Braves? Or should we criticize the Braves for drafting Scott Thorman and Aaron Herr even if they also picked Adam Wainwright and Kelly Johnson?

If the end result over several years isn't good, then yes, something needs to change. But my point was in reference to one pick and one year - "a draft", not "drafts" or "drafting".

Hey, what's the status on Evan Anundsen right now?

A few pitchers not on your Power 50 that I am mildly interested in:
Mike Ramlow-lanky lefty who has had some A+ success - it would be nice to see him continue his success at a higher level as he's getting a little old for A ball
Joel Pierce-high draft pick last year
Greg Holle-huge pitcher who pitched well last year (no surprise as a 21 year old in low Rookie ball)

I'm not saying they should be on the Power 50, just that they are sort of on my radar.

As always, thanks for the effort.

1. You gentlemen did a splendid job on that list. I always appreciate the work.

2. That list is horrible. I am excited about one prospect - Mark Rogers. I think a few others might make an MLB impact, but that is all. I like Braddock as well - but by BA standards he doesn't count as a prospect anymore.

3. Josh Prince really fell of the face of the Earth. His numbers are bad - but as a SS and former 3rd round pick, I would have thought he could at least hang out in the 30-40 range.

4. Cody Adams, Evan Frederickson, Seth Lintz, Eric Arnett, Dylan Covey and Max Walla are really dragging down the system. Most agree with the trades to acquire Marcum and Greinke - but our system is in bad shape because of the number of draft picks that have flat out failed in the past 3 years.

I'm depressed from typing #4.

Good points all the way around. Going 50 prospects deep with the Royals system is tough, but with the Brewers, it's a whole different animal. Good work.

As for your #4, I'm going to add 2006 to the list of problems too. Picks 1, 2, 3, and 5 are no longer with the organization and Evan Anundsen isn't on the Power 50.

In general, I think the P50 doesn't value ceiling enough. Which is why my top 20 looks like this:
1. Mark Rogers
2. Cody Scarpetta
3. Zach Braddock
4. Wily Peralta
5. Kyle Heckathorn
6. Kentrail Davis
7. Hunter Morris
8. Tyler Roberts
9. Jimmy Nelson
10. Tyler Thornburg
11. Amaury Rivas
12. Scooter Gennett
13. D'Vontrey Richardson
14. Caleb Gindl
15. Logan Schafer
16. Eric Arnett
17. Matt Miller
18. Cutter Dykstra
19. Cody Hawn
20. Erik Komatsu

The guys who didn't make my list and made the P50's top 20 (Taylor Green, Brandon Kintzler, Mike McClendon, Khris Davis and Eric Farris) are all lighter on ceilings.

Also, why is Scarpetta behind Rivas? A great 1-2 punch with his fastball and curveball combined with a FIP of about 3.2 at 21 in the FSL screams far more potential for big league impact than Rivas, and he's having success at levels roughly 2 years younger.

Richardson last year hit a ball harder than anyone I have ever seen. Hit it to centerfield on a line about 8 feet off the ground the entire way and off the fence. It was unreal

Also, would someone be able to tell me when minor leaguers get assigned to there respected teams during spring training and when do they leave spring training then? Early April?

Archived