Brewer Fanatic

Bonds could hit milestone homer in Milwaukee

Kpanz20

Bonds is at 750... needing 5 more to tie the record and 6 to have it.

The Giants have 6 games at Cinncinnati and St. Louis before the All-Star break. They then have the Dodgers at home for 3, before facing the Cubs at Wrigley for 4.

Then they face the Brewers July 20th through the 22nd. In all they have 13 games (including today) left before coming to Milwaukee - the city where hammerin hank hit a lot of his homers.

Bonds is likely to sit out at least 3 of those games. All I'm saying is that it could be very interesting come July 20th when Bonds comes to town. If he's close, I wonder if they will sell out all 3 games. He'll get booed no doubt... but I bet there would be a large spike it ticket sales and lots of pictures being taken.

Anybody planning on purchasing some bleacher seats or standing on the walkway in right-center?

What would you do if you caught THE home run ball?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ha yeah... I could see a lot of people wanting to "rough up" the guy for the ball. I just hope its not a woman or kid... I've seen adults take balls from kids before and its pretty disturbing.

If SF doesn't pull off a miracle run (like winning 12 straight) and Bonds is on the verge of 756 with a homestand scheduled after the Brewer series, my guess is that they will just bench him. The city of SF, Barry Bonds, and even MLB all want it to happen at home.

I could see a lot of people wanting to "rough up" the guy for the ball. I just hope its not a woman or kid... I've seen adults take balls from kids before and its pretty disturbing.

on any other normal HR ball or foul ball i would agree with that. I'll fully admit if I was close to catching that ball, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't notice who was around me or who I was trying to beat to the ball.

what's kinda funny though is that after they play the brewers is a 4 game set vs Atlanta at home. That would be a little ironic.

I don't know though, I don't see them doing the Biggio thing with the record. He very well might not even care where he hits it.

I don't see them doing the Biggio thing with the record.

I do. Plenty of talking heads (for what its worth) say Bochy will. The Giants are a last place team and Barry and the Giants want to hear cheers instead of boos as he rounds the bases.

There is no way in heck, they let Bonds hit that HR anywhere but in San Fran.

Especially since it doesn't look like they have a chance at the playoffs. If they did, I may think differently.

Yeah I'm sure he doesn't want to get booed... but what I mean is if he is playing in the game I really don't think he would try to just slap some singles.

I wonder how much the ball would go for...

Top balls sold:

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp The homer Value

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp McGwire's 70th &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp $3M

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Aaron's 755th &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp $650,000

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Bonds' 73rd &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp $517,500

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Murray's 500th &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp $500,000

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Mantle's 500th &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp $250,000

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp McGwire's 500th &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp $250,000

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Sosa's 66th &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp $175,000

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Ruth's first at Stadium $130,000

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Fisk's Series shot &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp $120,000

*sorry for the bad formatting

I know some company or organization put up a million dollars for the ball, but MLB made them retract it for fear of injury (imagine throwing $1 million dollar bill into a crowd). If that ball lands in McCovey Cove, they better have a lifeguard on duty.

I'm in the avenue of extreme hopefulness that Bonds' 756th home run will land in a bullpen so nobody will get some lottery ticket and then have to fight for the ball/his life and/or have people suing each other, etc. etc.

That got old REAL quick a few years ago when he hit #73.

BTW, after he breaks the record, won't there be just as much grabbing/punching/fighting for every one of his remaining homers, since each one could, potentially, be his last HR ever?

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

If I caught the home run ball. (Not that it'll be his last anyway)

1) Systematically take it apart at the seams

2) Tear the cover off

3) Cut the cover into little 1'' x 1'' piesces

4) destroy the inner thread as much as possible.

5) Drink lots of Miller Lite and store secretions

6) Take a long steamy piss over the whole pile of cut up ball

7) Put it in a box, mail it to the offices at PacBell and tell him that's what I think of him breaking the record.

I find it funny that Arod seemingly gets a free pass in steroid conversations... they guy weighed like 170 when he first came up with the mariners and was a stick.

Quote:
BTW, after he breaks the record, won't there be just as much grabbing/punching/fighting for every one of his remaining homers, since each one could, potentially, be his last HR ever?

Thats a good point... he could conceivably play a few more seasons especially if he gets traded to the AL.

Just a side note, I was involved in the McGwire saga.

The guy (Chapes) was my cross-country coach and I had bought ten tickets for family in July for the front row when I knew it might be close. One of my family didn't make it and I gave the last ticket to my cross country coach. We ended up part of history.

McGwire Hits 65, robbed of 66

P.S. Just for the record, I was two seats away at it was a HR.

Yeah, long story short. The ball carried over the yellow line front fence and then hit my coach's glove. Some doofus hit my coach in the back almost simultanously, causing him to lurch forward and get double over the 2nd fence. At county stadium, there was that 4' trench between the two fences. So from Davidson's crappy viewpoint (where's the hustle to get a good look Davidson?), It may have looked like he came over the other fence to get the ball, but it was physically impossible given the 4' trench. To make matters worse, while coach is doubled over the fence, some punk from NY jumps into the trench and then steals the ball out of my coach's glove and runs off. My coach gets an ejection from his seat (for fan interference) given a trespassing fine of 518.00 and gets the ball stolen. Eventually went on People's Court and got denied, with the judge saying it's impossible to determine how long a person must have the ball for it to be considered "possession". He also fought the trespassing citation with video evidence showing it a home run and not trespassing, but again denied because Davidson called fan interference from his crappy position 200' away.

There's no way baseball can let Bonds break the record anywhere but in SF. That image, love it or hate it, of Bonds breaking the record will live on (I can still see the image of Aaron breaking it in my head), and baseball can't have the negative reaction of a visitors stadium be the image that lives on. I mean, just think of how people will react, I think booing could be the least of it. I wouldn't be surprised by people throwing items on to the field, etc. That's going to put an even bigger sour mark on the game itself then, not just Bonds.

Despite how much baseball doesn't want him to break the record, they have to start accepting the fact that its going to happen, and they unfortunately need to embrace it, for the good of the game.

Archived