Brewer Fanatic

Greinke traded to Milwaukee; Latest -- more on how it came about

Mass Haas
Latest tweet from Ken Rosenthal...

Source: Jeffress still could be PTBN in Greinke trade.

Is it possible that reporters are just using "PTBNL" in a technically incorrect fashion? As in, the deal hasn't actually been formally completed yet, but will be once the Royals figure out which 4th player to take?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More fun recent tweets...

TBrownYahoo - Source: Dodgers were working on Greinke possibilities into weekend, had drawn in a third team to satisfy KC needs, ran out of time.

Michael__Raines - RT @Patrick_Donohue: Zack Greinke didn't fit the Royals "overall plan" says Jerry Crasnick. And what friggin' plan would that be?

bholcomb - Dear STL Cardinals: did we even participate in the Zack Greinke sweepstakes?

howiemag - After seeing what #Brewers were willing to deal for Greinke, wonder if Toronto fans are still happy just getting Lawrie for Marcum.

Jacob_Hanson - loves how cards fans already trying to give royals fans !+#$ about Greinke trade. You do realize you have to face him 5 times a year now...

asmaness - #Greinke will be a great sidekick to new Brewers ace Shaun Marcum.

fauxjohnmadden - Kansas City Royals trade Zach Greinke to Milwaukee Brewers. Royals officially eliminated from postseason until 2016.

This stinks. I may have to pay for cable again (stupid MBLtv blackout restrictions) and I wish Lee would have signed with the Rangers.

Despite losing Cain, this seems like an early Christmas present. I'm also concerned that the current roster's defense could make this new improved staff more pedestrian.

Interesting times... I wonder what managers may have tried harder to join the Brewers now that their rotation is solid?

How is the college level draft class looking for 2011? The only reason I ask is since our system is pretty bare; I figured Melvin might target some players closer to MLB ready so the drop off in 2013-2014 isn't so huge when we lose at least a couple of these core players.

I am not to worried about the farm system; we either are going to get a ton of draft picks when these guys leave or we are going to get some good talent when they are traded. Or even better we can extend a couple of Marcum, Gallardo, Weeks, Fielder, Grienke, etc.

This is really a secondary issue though, the primary is obviously that the Brewers are going to be major contenders in 2011

Is it possible that reporters are just using "PTBNL" in a technically incorrect fashion? As in, the deal hasn't actually been formally completed yet, but will be once the Royals figure out which 4th player to take?

I think this is exactly what is going on here.

TH's latest blog post update: UPDATE: NOW FOXSPORTS' KEN ROSENTHAL IS REPORTING THAT JEFFRESS COULD BE THE PLAYER TO BE NAMED. SO, WHO KNOWS?

I don't know, Tom. Maybe THE TEAM'S BEAT WRITER might be the one to know that.

TH's latest blog post update: UPDATE: NOW FOXSPORTS' KEN ROSENTHAL IS REPORTING THAT JEFFRESS COULD BE THE PLAYER TO BE NAMED. SO, WHO KNOWS?

I don't know, Tom. Maybe THE TEAM'S BEAT WRITER might be the one to know that.

There is a good chance that Haudricort is on vacation. But hey doesn't the JS have another baseball guy?

I think this is exactly what is going on here.

Actually it seems as though Jeffress's eligibility to be a PTBNL is perfectly intact. The real problem appears to be mass media and the fight to be first with information. Looks like Tom H. and Jeffress's agent may have jumped the gun a bit with denials. It doesn't help that everyone is so fuzzy on MLB rules either. Still hoping Jeffress stays though.

It just gets me frustrated to see national writers that have better connections than the local writer(s). The vacation angle makes sense, since he got scooped by a (presumably unpaid) fan blogger*. If I'm being too harsh, sorry TH.

* not taking a dump on Breen, but iirc that's his official relationship with the JS.

But hey doesn't the JS have another baseball guy?

No, I don't think they do. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

From watching some video on mlb.com Greinke throws harder than I thought he did. He was hitting 95-97 with his fastball...impressive...most impressive. Looks like he also has a change up that tails away to lefties in the mid 80s, and a tight slider that was hittin 87.

I'm sure someone can post an official scouting report but I'm really impressed with this pickup.

So now to the million dollar question. What will Ned's nicknames for Escobar and Cain be? Eskie has a good Yost ring to it, and of course Cainy. Basically throw a Y at the end of your last name and you have a Yost nickname.

Archived