Brewer Fanatic

Greinke traded to Milwaukee; Latest -- more on how it came about

Mass Haas
  • Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
His agent (agent39) flat said Jeffress was NOT in the deal.

Of course he hasn't been told he's been traded. Whoever the PTBNL is, that individual has not been told he has been traded yet. Only the confirmed players such as Cain have been informed. The fact that Jeffress or any other Brewer player other than Cain, Escobar, and Ordozzi haven't been told they were traded, does not eliminate them from being the PTBNL. Whoever that player winds up being, they and their agent won't be informed until KC makes a decision.

To be fair, his agent also said he thought it was unlikely that the deal was going to happen just a few hours earlier. So...who knows how much the agent actually knows about what is happening behind the scenes in this deal.

Exactly. A few hours ago that same agent said Cain hadn't been told he was traded. They simply don't know until the trade is made. The PTBNL hasn't been informed yet, because KC could change their mind on who that last piece is.

As for gutting the system, I would say that is a short-term view. We have 2 1st rd picks in one of the best draft classes in sometime in 2011. Then when Fielder leaves, the 2012 draft we will have 2 1st rds and a supplemental. So we will be able to re-stock the minors fairly soon in the lower depths........

I am loving this trade. I mentioned this in the rumor thread late last night which I'm sure most people didn't see. I like this move because we tried to get young pitching for Prince this offseason which clearly didn't pan out. With Greinke and Marcum both here through 2012, when we lose Prince after this season we can always trade Greinke and/or Marcum next offseason or during 2012 for the young pitching we desired. This move allows us to really go for it this year and still get back to where we thought we would be this season.

Based upon that it seems like Jeffress could be a PTBNL as long as he named before next season.

But the reports that they're reviewing medicals would seem to exclude Jeffress.

You could be right on that one. Would tests for marijuana fall under medical records? Does a player need to be informed when his medical records are being requested? Confidentiality rules?

I'm unclear on all of this. Just trying to be 100% sure on Jeffress staying put before I get my hopes up. Don't want to be thrown for a loop later.

Betancourt isn't good, but he's no worse than Escobar.

Yes he is. Escobar could at least play defense.

Betancourt sure doesn't look very good, although he did hit 16 HRs last year. How is his defense?

It sucks. I would actually rather see Gomez on the field rather than Betancourt. I would rather see Luis Cruz as SS than Betancourt and I like Cruz less than I ever liked Wes Helms.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

As long as we find a SS to start and make Betancourt the backup I'm ok with this deal. If we can sign Greinke long term I'm obviously happy too. I think that fangraphs piece really undervalues Cain though, he will be a solid CF. Not a star but a solid starter.

Not to get off topic, but if Jeffress isn't part of the deal, what do you guys think about still using Jeffress and Gamel to try to get Shields/Garza from Tampa. We already gutted the farm, and if really want to go all in for the next couple years, we're going to need 8 or 9 starters throughout the year anyways. Nothing against Narveson, but I'd rather have him and Rogers as depth and have an opening day rotation of Greinke, Yo, Marcum, Garza/Shields, Wolf with Narveson and Rogers as the 6 and 7. Is our payroll maxed out for this? My only main concern is that every team needs a staff that is 8 or 9 deep throughout the year, and this gives us unbelievable depth that the Brewers have probably never had.

Have we been spending the last 28 years reminiscing about that great 82 team or bemoaning the loss of guys like David Green & Kevin Bass? Do we all sit around and talk about how great our Power 50 looked in 2004 or whatever year? Heck, I hope the Royals win the series with these guys someday. Hopefully after we put together a great season of memories!

At some point you gotta go for it. This is the payoff for the picks and the farm system. Whether it works out or not, I like the effort.

They'll have a bounty of picks over the next few years as most of these guys leave and maybe they get the next Braun or Fielder after a couple 90 loss seasons. Let's worry about that later...hopefully we'll have some great highlight films to tide us over.

Just thought it was curious that baseballreference has Ben Sheets as the #1 most similar player to Greinke through age 26. I like the deal, but I'm hoping that Greinke's 2009 wasn't too far of an outlier. Sorry to see Cain go too. I need to go back and read that link in the rumors thread about Greinke's anxiety issues as well.

I know I am in the Minority, but I still think Gomez is better for the team in CF than Cain.

He is a spark plug....yes he needs to improve is OBP....but he is a dynamic player...

I'm actually with you on this one. Near the end of the season, when Go-Go saw more playing time, he was getting on base better. When he was getting on base, he was making things happen, and we were scoring runs. If he can get on base consistently, he is very good for this team.

Okay, I love this deal. If we sign Greinke and Marcum to extensions, even better. If we don't, I look forward to the haul of prospects we can get by trading those two or by getting the high draft picks. Basically, we didn't lose any offense, by lost defense at SS by getting Betancourt. I'm with everyone here, though, in that I'd rather see anyone BUT Betancourt starting at SS. There are guys like Renteria and Cabrera out there who could fill that hole nicely, and moving Betancourt to a utility role would be a smart move. As for CF, like I said, I think Gomez will be good out there, and if he's not, we've still got Dickerson and Boggs ready to play right now, with Schafer waiting if he's needed.

All in all, I'm really excited for this team this year.

Archived