Brewer Fanatic

Greinke traded to Milwaukee; Latest -- more on how it came about

Mass Haas
  • Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't been able to read through this thread yet but I'm so pumped about this. DM is doing exactly what I've been calling for! We gave up a ton and I hate to see these guys go but here is why it's not as much as you think. If we can't extend these guys you can trade them at the deadline (before they are FA) and all the sudden you are reloading your system. Good young pitching is worth so much!! Between Yo, Grienke, Marcum, we can fill our system right back up, hopefully with more pitchers! I honestly love Doug for adapting and going this route. Pitching gives you consistency.

Not to mention the high draft picks we will have after this year!

"I'm Busting Jerry, I'm Busting!!" - GLC

So where does this put the Brewers for projected wins? There were a lot of people that had the team at 83-85 wins if the acquired a guy like Blanton and with Cain and Escobar.... assuming Bill James' 6.2 WAR projection for Greinke is accurate and minus Cain, is it safe to project us around 90 wins?

Props out to Melvin for this one if Jeffress is not included. The only piece in the trade that I'll truly miss is Lorenzo Cain, but his upside is that of a Darryl Hamilton type. As for Escobar- in my opinion, though Melvin waited about 2 years too long to trade him, it's amazing that he brought so much value in trade. I'm not convinced that he's going to do anything in the majors. It would be nice if Hardy was still around. Odorizzi has the potential to be a stud, but he has a long way to go. The Brewers seem to be snakebitten over the years with injuries to thier pitching prospects, so I'll take the sure thing.

Could the PTBNL be Butler?

As he was just removed from the 40-man, that might be a good call.

That was my thought process. Is there a benefit to removing him from the 40-man before trading him?
"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

I wouldn't be surprised if the moves the Phillies made sent a strong message to Melvin that he cannot just sit back. Hopefully, these moves really energize Prince, Ryan, and Corey. I'd project us for 88-90 wins as is, but I think there will be a few minor moves that could bump us to the 90+ range. Roenicke sounds the perfect guy to work with Greinke as well.

Are we sure on that PTBNL rule? Is it possible that a player to be named later can't be a player on the 40-man roster when a trade is made in season only. Does that rule apply to offseason trades?

Here's why I think the rule does not apply in the offseason...

http://forum.orioleshango...s/showthread.php?t=51459

A transaction including a player to be named later must be completed within six months. The player may not be an active Major Leaguer player during the interval between the trade and the date the player is named. As a result, most players to be named later are minor leaguers.

That makes it pretty clear that a player on the active roster can't be a ptbnl during the season. But if Jeffress is named before the 2011 season begins, I think he could be included.

Fangraphs has a couple articles up, in case anybody's interested.

After a few hours of looking at this, the Brewers gave up far less than I expected they'd have to give up for Greinke. If we forget about how refreshing it was to watch Cain last year, I think we can agree that most likely he profiles as an average MLB CF (good defense, bad bat). Escobar really struggled last year, and it was pretty clear that he was completely over-matched by MLB pitching. Odorizzi is the hardest piece to lose for me, but the guy was only in A. He put up a 2.93 FIP at age 20, but at that age Gallardo split the season between A+ and AA, throwing about 77 innings at each level, posting a combined FIP around 2.30.

It does suck to have Yuniesky Betancourt though. I'm hoping they'll sign somebody else for SS...I'd rather see Counsell start at SS than Escobar.

Finally got through all the posts.

I'm a big fan of trading potential for proven (apparently that's not a word?) talent, so this deal excites me. Also, I definitely will take 2 years of REAL contention and playoff possibilities, even it that means that it's followed by 4 or 5 years of rebuilding. I've been a Brewer Fan for 35+ years. The vast majority of those years have been "rebuilding" years so it's not like I'm not use to it.

More frosting on the cake?.....Another player that the Yankees don't get and you know that TB will never trade Garza or Sheilds to them. Have fun with round two of Pavano NY.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Yahoo is still reporting that Jeffress is in this deal, but people you guys are saying that it's not him? Or am I getting old information, and it's Cain, Escobar, Jake O, and PTBNL? If Jeffress isn't included and the PTBNL is a spare part prospect, then we really bent KC over the table on this one. So, just to clarify, Jeffress isn't included, is included, or not sure yet?

Guys, everything I'm reading is saying the restrictions on a PTBNL apply to active 25 man roster players and players having to switch leagues. Based upon that it seems like Jeffress could be a PTBNL as long as he named before next season.

The point behind a PTBNL not being an active major leaguer is so that the team trading away the PTBNL doesn't get continued use of said player in major league games in the meantime. That doesn't apply in the offseason. I'm not saying it will or won't be Jeffress, but I don't think he can be ruled out.

My apologies if I'm totally wrong on this.

Archived