Brewer Fanatic

Greinke traded to Milwaukee; Latest -- more on how it came about

Mass Haas
  • Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, we're 1 week past the 30 year anniversary of arguably the biggest trade in franchise history (acquiring Ted Simmons, Pete Vuckovich, and Rollie Fingers from the Cardinals for prospects including Kevin Bass among others.

What a great thing to wake up to. Glad to see the Crew is going for it, for once. Gotta wonder if, in any way possible, this makes Prince say, "you know, I wouldn't mind re-signing with these guys if they're going to go for it for the next couple of seasons." Even if it was just a short deal.

It's going to be hard watching football today, knowing that this has happened!

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Betancourt and Escobar were each .6 WAR last year.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Betancourt sure doesn't look very good, although he did hit 16 HRs last year. How is his defense?
I posted this link in the rumor thread earlier. It basically describes Betancourt as the one of the worst MLB shortstops defensively based on the numbers. Like you said, he did hit 16 HRs, but he is a worse hacker than Gomez and Escobar.

The only piece I don't like giving up is Cain. Don't care about Escobar. Betancourt isn't good, but he's no worse than Escobar. Jeffress has promise, but as has been discussed, we have enough young bullpen arms. I know people don't like losing Odorizzi, but he's still "just" a low level prospect, so there's no guarantee that he'll be amazing in the bigs.

I'll echo this completely, very well said. The Brewers gave up a ton of potential in the deal, but potential doesn't always come to fruition. There's no guarantee that Odorizzi won't stall in the minors, there's no guarantee that Escobar will ever figure things out (and Winter ball isn't helping with that concern), etc. Cain might really hurt down the line, but in the end it should be worth it for the Crew.

If Jeffress indeed isn't in the deal, it's all that more astounding that Melvin pulled this off.

Really, really exciting news, especially since I wasn't around my computer last night and had no idea this was in the works until about 30 minutes ago.

Could the reason for PTBNL be Kansas City not having room on their 40-man roster? If so, Jeffress could still be the final piece that isn't announced until KC makes room.

A player on the 40 man roster can't be a PTBNL. And there's plenty of dross on KC's roster to immediately waive.

That's good news as the Brewers were giving up a ton for Grienke. They're still giving up a lot, but this is more manageable. It's definitely an "All In" move.

Betancourt stinks. Escobar doesn't have much of a hill to climb to become the best SS in KC history. I'd feel better about the deal if they can add a real centerfielder.

Robert

Betancourt sure doesn't look very good, although he did hit 16 HRs last year. How is his defense?

He can't possibly be worse than Escobar was on offense last year can he? Neither of them can take a walk. Looks like our #8 hitter to me

Betancourt can't play defense. If the Brewers can get either Cabrera or Renteria Batancourt should be the utility guy. Heck if they sign Counsell Counsell should get 60% of the play time.

Wow...

I still like Escobar, but DM hasn't traded too many guys that we've regretted so I think they may feel he won't improve as much as I had hoped. Losing Cain hurts, but you have to give up something to get something.

Betancourt...

http://sports.espn.go.com...yers/stats?playerId=6218

Ouch. 104 walks in 2,890 at-bats.

As much as I hate to say this, I think we need to consider moving Gamel + perhaps another prospect for a SS. I think we can get by with Gomez in CF. I just don't think we can get by with both Betancourt and Gomez. We don't need to waste this great rotation on shoddy defense.

You've gotta give to get.

Losing Cain really stinks. But we are getting Grienke. The other guys in the deal don't bother me. Prospects are prospects. None of these players are going to be as good as Grienke, relatively speaking.

This is a win now move that shows Melvin isn't playing around. This is a move that says we are serious about getting back to the playoffs. You have to love it.

Greinke, Yo, Marcum, Wolf, Narveson and a pretty good bullpen with Weeks, Hart, Braun, Prince and McGehee in offense. I'm definitely renewing my annual MLBTV subscription to watch the Brewers win the NL central in 2011, it's gonna be a really exciting and enjoyable season can't wait.

Just woke up to this. Quite frankly, I'm sad to lose Odorizzi. I loved Cain, and I'll miss having him around. Escobar had fallen on my list quite a bit last year, although I still had hopes for him.

But ZACK FREAKIN' GREINKE?????

I wonder who the PTBNL will be. I'm pretty relieved that Jeffress is staying with Milwaukee, to be honest.

Oh, and can we DFA Yuniesky?

I'm just going to enjoy this rotation next season. We now have a true ace, a #1, #2, #4, and #5. This is a very good rotation.

Edit: Betancourt is owed $4MM this year, and has a $6MM option for next year with a $2MM buyout. I'm guessing that's where the $2M to the Brewers comes in.

Betancourt stinks. Escobar doesn't have much of a hill to climb to become the best SS in KC history.
Hey, now! Buddy Biancalana is uber-awesome. Escobar can NEVER replace him. EVER. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I think I would rather give Dickerson the full time job in CF at this point.

Is it out of the realm of possibility that Cruz could be the starting SS next year?

If we could somehow get Cabrera or Renteria for SS and good defensive CF; we have to be a lock for 90+ wins assuming no devastating injuries. Adding to two pitchers of this calibur is pretty incredible. Plus both Prince & Braun had down years last year and could reasonably be expected to improve.....

This offseason Melving once again dealt away POTENTIAL for proven players as he has done in the past.

Escobar, Cain, Jake O, and Jeffers are all potential. Inman was suppose to be a great loss when he was traded away for Linebrink, he has lit up the NL since he left Milwaukee. LaPorta and Brantley have yet to make the Indians a top team in the AL Central.

I believe that Doug once again made the right move. Prospects are trading chips till they prove they are major league players.

I don't think this has been stated firmly enough. The Brewers bent KC over on this deal. The Brewers got the most valuable player in baseball over the last two seasons. Yes, a higher WAR than Halladay and Lee. And they didn't even give up an established star or can't miss blue-chip prospect. Ordozzzi had a 3.50 era in A-ball. Greinke had an ERA of 1.14 in high-A ball.

I think there's a good chance Greinke signs an extension with Milwaukee. And even if he doesn't, I wouldn't be surprised if the haul we get for him at the deadline in 2012 is better than what we just gave up.

Archived