Brewer Fanatic

Greinke traded to Milwaukee; Latest -- more on how it came about

Mass Haas
  • Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If I was Ken Macha or Rick Peterson I would be pretty pissed right now.

Also congratulations to Ron Roenicke; your first big league gig just got a heck of a lot easier.

And if I'm Ron Roenicke or Rick Kranitz, I'm probably dancing in the street in my bath robe this morning.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I was under the impression that Doug had a ton of money to spend this year even assuming Fielder stuck around. I can't imagine that the payroll will be any higher than last year. If it is it can't be by much

This adds $17.5m to the payroll if what has been said about just getting the money for Betancourt's buyout is correct.

I still can't wrap my head around how good our rotation looks this season. We now have a true Ace, two probable #1 starters, and a low2/high 3 starter. Narveson will probably hold the #5 until the Brewers feel that Rogers is ready, when our rotation will take another bump up... wow!!

If we can extend Weeks and either one or both of Marcum/Greinke, we will be really good for quite a few years.

As for what we gave up, it was a lot, but not irreplaceable. I never saw Cain as a star, and I'd guess most of our goodwill towards him was due to the good head on his shoulders in comparison to the blank void between Gomez's ears. I think Melvin sold high on Cain after his .300+ average made him look really good. I'd guess he'll be a good-but-not-great CF for a number of years. While I don't look forward to seeing Gomez in CF everyday, trading Cain was logical, as we do have multiple MLB-ready CF options on the team. At least Gomez plays good defense, which will make our rotation even better.

Escobar was an eingma. We have been told how great he will be, but he did disappoint last season, when he hit like Jason Kendall and didn't provide the defense we were told to expect. I do still believe he will be a good player, and hopefully Melvin has a long-term plan to replace him. I'd guess this guarantees that Counsell will be back, getting semi-regular time at SS.

It was beginning to appear that Jeffress was going to remain in the bullpen, which made me sick. If he was starting, his inclusion in this trade would be harder to stomach. If his future is in the bullpen, I'm not nearly as worried about losing him. Whatever happens, I truly hope that he can keep his personal life in order. I'd hate to see someone with so much talent waste it.

The gem of this trade for KC will probably be Odorizzi. Prospects are always a crapshoot, and anything could happen, but the Royals probably got a future top-of-the-rotation starter in Jake. Extending Marcum and/or Greinke will make this less painful for the Brewers, as they would have the MLB rotation in good shape for a while. If they can't extend Marcum or Greinke, Jake will be missed.

All that said, I am really excited about the upcoming season. We should still have one of the top offenses in the league to go along with a top rotation and a good, young bullpen. There's a whole lot to like about the makeup of our team.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

What an awesome birthday present! Thank you DM!

Having been a Brewer fan my whole life, I have always heard about all the talent we have the minors. Yes, a lot of our team is home-grown, but what has all that talent produced? One Wild Card birth, and they nearly missed that. I love trading to win now. It's a new mentality I'm not used to.

I think if we've learned anything over the past few years it's that if you have elite pitching you will contend no matter what your lineup looks like. We've now upgraded to one of the best rotations in the NL WITHOUT sacrificing anything of major value in the lineup.

I've always been for trading young, unproven players since 90% don't pan out in the long run anyways (although I think Cain will be a solid player for the Royals).

Escobar was an eingma. We have been told how great he will be, but he did disappoint last season, when he hit like Jason Kendall and didn't provide the defense we were told to expect. I do still believe he will be a good player, and hopefully Melvin has a long-term plan to replace him.

I think Escobar will be a valuable player, even if his bat never really comes around. I'm a huge believer in his defensive tools, and think that '10 will be the exception & not the rule for the rest of his career. I will really miss him, even if the guy never hits any better than ~.275 or so.

It was beginning to appear that Jeffress was going to remain in the bullpen, which made me sick.

I don't think the Royals would have agreed to this deal if they didn't still feel JJ could work out as a starter.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

If I was Ken Macha or Rick Peterson I would be pretty pissed right now.

Also congratulations to Ron Roenicke; your first big league gig just got a heck of a lot easier.

I was thinking the exact same thing......

Macha was awkward and boring with the media but that didn't really bother me. I was indifferent to him and felt like he didn't bring a whole lot to the table but also wasn't the reason they were losing. Casual Brewer fans are going to think Roenicke turned this team around when in reality, Macha had nothing when it came to pitching.

Escobar was an eingma. We have been told how great he will be, but he did disappoint last season, when he hit like Jason Kendall and didn't provide the defense we were told to expect. I do still believe he will be a good player, and hopefully Melvin has a long-term plan to replace him.

I think Escobar will be a valuable player, even if his bat never really comes around. I'm a huge believer in his defensive tools, and think that '10 will be the exception & not the rule for the rest of his career. I will really miss him, even if the guy never hits any better than ~.275 or so.

It was beginning to appear that Jeffress was going to remain in the bullpen, which made me sick.

I don't think the Royals would have agreed to this deal if they didn't still feel JJ could work out as a starter.

This is a team that has kept Soria around for no apparent reason.

Haudricourt's latest tweet: I'm now hearing

that Jeffress might not be in Greinke trade. That it might be a player

to be named. But still hearing the others reported.

Is it insane for me to wish our own beat reporter was the one ahead of the curve on this stuff?

Any thoughts on what a Jeffress/Gamel package could net in terms of a good young CF or SS?

As a side question/note, when you have an outstanding PTBNL in a trade, I have to imagine it makes additional trades a bit trickier. Usually the receiving team gets to pick from a group of players. Due to this PTBNL, the Brewers could have 5 guys that are off limits in terms of constructing a trade...

Could the reason for PTBNL be Kansas City not having room on their 40-man roster? If so, Jeffress could still be the final piece that isn't announced until KC makes room.
I was about to say the same thing. If KC's 40 man is full (again this was from MLB.com and they aren't super reliable (yes you would think they would know)) they might want to time to clear a 3rd spot.

What a great deal from a Brewer perspective. You have to give up something to get something and I wasn't sure we had enough left after moving Lawrie out but apparently we did.

We now have a very solid rotation and I think you can kiss away any trading Prince before he's a free agent rumours now. Once again Melvin proofs he's one of the best GM's in the league. When he realizes he isn't going to get value for Prince he reverses thought and brings in the pitching we needed to contend. This is a win now philosophy and at some point we are going to have a few rough years but I don't think you can do it any other way in Milwaukee. We don't have the resources to have a strong farm system and just sign the big name free agents. So once again Melvin uses his chips to make the Brewers an early season favourite in the NL Central. I'm sure if we are contending the resources will be there at the trade deadline to pick up some extra depth.

Our only question mark now is CF.

Some fun tweets --

Gammons: Jim Fregosi told Royals "when you trade Greinke the one player you'd better get is Cain"

Heyman: blogger who had greinke story is jim breen from bernie's crew blog on milwaukee journal sentinel website. crew now a threat

Breen: If nothing else, breaking the Greinke trade got @JohnAxford59 to follow me on Twitter. Consider that a success!

Wagner: SportsCenter just called to have me on. Wonder if I'll get the cool half-real picture like @Jasonjwilde

EDIT: Someone needs to make the obligatory, "Glad to see Melvin making an aggressive, Kenny Williams-type move" comment

Archived