Brewer Fanatic

Greinke traded to Milwaukee; Latest -- more on how it came about

Mass Haas
  • Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Love this. 28 years since we've hung up a real banner in our stadium (wild card banner doesn't count). Odds are, the package that we sent won't be a nucleus to a division winner, so why not go for broke? I'd give anything for a championship to come to Milwaukee and this is the best position we've been in for a long time. Let's just pray for health. I can't wait!!!
Formerly Andersoc420

What is great is that Greinke is now represented by the same agency as Braun and Hart. Maybe that had a factor in Melvin doing this deal too. There is no way I see Melvin giving up this much for Greinke if he is represented by Boras.

That's an excellent point that needs repeating.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Love it. Melvin finally realized how overrated Escobar was. He also got full value for Jeffress despite him being a reliever. After the Lawrie deal I thought we'd have no chance to get Greinke. Now we not only land him, but we also still have our top pitching prospect, Mark Rogers.

Doug Melvin, just when I thought you couldn't get any lower, you go ahead and do something like this, and totally redeem yourself!

I will always remember where I was the day X said something nice about Melvin...http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gifhttp://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gifhttp://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I agree that still having Rogers around is a huge coup. I still insist that many will be pleasantly surprised by the talent we still have in the minors.

I really wanted Garza, but only because I didn't think a deal for Greinke would be possible. Good job, Doug!

The Brewers are giving up a lot in this deal but it doesn't really bother me. The Brewers have had pitching prospect after pitching prospect fail to pan out over the past decade. At some point, you have to fix the problem on your major league roster (pitching) and by waiting on prospects, the Brewers would have been about 4 years away from "maybe" having a solid rotation. Now, they "have" one of the best rotations in the NL with Rogers waiting in the wings. With their current rotation, I'd like to see Rogers get the 5th spot as it would be a great way to get his feet wet while limiting his innings. I also believe that the 5th spot in the rotation should be used for just this, bringing younsters to the Majors.

Gallardo, Greinke, Marcum, Wolf, Rogers ....now that is something to be excited about!

Hardricourt is right, it is a high price, but I can't say I'm not excited for the season.

One thing I find sort of ironic is reading about how frustrated Greinke has been in the past with the defense that's behind him. Now he is going to have the Brewer's defense behind him and on top of that he might be bringing one of the worst shortstops in the league with him in Betancourt. I REALLY hope we can find some other options at SS and CF.

What great news to wake up to this morning. I really won't miss Escobar. I didn't see him hit too many balls hard last season, and I was privately thinking he should have been optioned down to the minors. I will definitely miss the other players, especially Cain. But I guess that is the price you pay for having a rotation that on paper looks to be the type of rotation that allows you to at least dream of a championship.

Kudos to Doug Melvin and Mark Attanasio for making this happen. And thank you to all the fans that show up in droves (which allows us to take on this much salary).

Just a reminder, Grienke was 9.4 Wins Above Replacement in 2009. The most valuable player in all of baseball. The highest value last season was Josh Hamilton, with just 8 WAR, and the most valuable pitcher was Cliff Lee, with 7.2 WAR.

I think its at least possible for Grienke to have another season like that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

We still have Mark Rogers and now have Zack Greinke and Shaun Marcum. Bravo, DM. Seriously, the Brewers didn't have to give up a blue-chip prospect to get this done. That's why nobody thought the Brewers had a chance. I'll really miss Cain, but he doesn't strike me as a potential perennial all-star like most guys involved in these sort of deals. Same with Escobar. There is so many questions about Jeffress' development and Odorizzi is still a year or two away and it's not like he's Bumgarnering it in the minors. Now all of these guys could certainly be contributors on a MLB club, but ordinarily in a trade for a guy like Greinke it takes more than that. DM bought 2010 Greinke, not 2007-2009 Greinke.

This looks like a go for it now move, but if you get those rotation extensions we have quite the group of starters together for awhile. Taken along with Melvin finding a way to get decent bullpen arms off the farm and at least a trickle of starter prospects that you can try at the end of the rotation. It's a solid longer term plan. As long as we have Braun and above average pitching the farm doesn't need to crank out massive impact bats to keep the team in contention.

Hardricourt is right, it is a high price, but I can't say I'm not excited for the season.

One thing I find sort of ironic is reading about how frustrated Greinke has been in the past with the defense that's behind him. Now he is going to have the Brewer's defense behind him and on top of that he might be bringing one of the worst shortstops in the league with him in Betancourt. I REALLY hope we can find some other options at SS and CF.

Maybe the Milwaukee's offense will help him forget that brutal KC attack that he went to battle with. We can't fully gauge this trade until DM is done making moves this offseason. I expect a few pieces to be added yet.

burnzy24[/b]]What is great is that Greinke is now represented by the same agency as Braun and Hart. Maybe that had a factor in Melvin doing this deal too. There is no way I see Melvin giving up this much for Greinke if he is represented by Boras.

That's an excellent point that needs repeating.

Maybe even three times.

Assuming the brewers extend either marcum or greinke and arent in the playoff race at the 2012 trade deadline, they will easily be able to trade the other one for a decent bounty

While I do have concerns about SS, CF, and the bullpen, I really believe this is the first time the Crew will go into a season a clear cut favorites in two decades. Just goes to show, if you draft well enough, you can trade away the unproven for the proven and make things exciting; something Sal Bando was never good enough to do.

So- Does this mean everyone will leave Doug alone this year from the "he should be fired because he didn't get us the pitching help we needed" cracks?

Teams who give up quantity for quality usually come out ahead on these kinds of deals. I'll make a random guess that If included Jeffress makes the most money as a player, but Cain ends up being the most valuable as a consistent league average guy who has a pretty long career.

Along with Breen & Wagner, TH is reporting Jeffress is in the deal. I'll believe them way before I'll believe Gammons's PTBNL isn't Jeffress.

Doug Melvin, just when I thought you couldn't get any lower, you go ahead and do something like this, and totally redeem yourself!

Haha! Excellent, X.

Could Mike Cameron be had from the Sox? Hasn't he been relegated to a bench role?

Some may be shocked, but I'd be all about that move.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Assuming we keep Fielder, we get at least two extra draft picks next year, then potentially four more the following if neither Grienke nor Marcum sign. The team is in prime position to compete now for the next two years and then rebuild the farm. I'd love to see how a rotation of Grienke, Gallardo, Marcum and Wolf shapes up against Philly in the playoffs.

Archived