Brewer Fanatic

Greinke traded to Milwaukee; Latest -- more on how it came about

Mass Haas
  • Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
it's really cool to have a 3:5 chance at the Opening Day starter being someone i'd really like to see and who deserves the nod. numbers aside, i think i'm going to enjoy watching Marcum pitch more than anyone.

it's really cool to have a 3:5 chance at the Opening Day starter being someone i'd really like to see and who deserves the nod. numbers aside, i think i'm going to enjoy watching Marcum pitch more than anyone.
You mean weren't excited when Rafael Roque was handed the ball opening day once upon a time?

ugh, nice reference. it seems like so long ago when we had to muster up every last ounce of fandom in ourselves to generate even the smallest amount of excitement for the season. Rafael Roque as the Opening Day starter was like George spotting the donut in the garbage can.

there may never be a longer February than what we are all about to experience. sure glad it's not Leap Year, because an additional 24 hours before March would be too much to bear.

Why would they name an opening day starter in January and why isn't it the manager who's naming the opening day starter?
my own guess is because it's just Opening Day and a chance for Melvin to occasionally throw out something now and again that will keep and build excitement for potential season-ticket buyers. naming only the Opening Day starter won't force Roenicke to do any real adjustments in his rotation heading into the season. naming a Home Opener starter would, though, and i think Roenicke will do that.

Since they have an off day on the Friday following the opener, I wonder if they will skip the 5th starter, meaning Grienke would start the 2nd game of the first home series. This would also make some sense for the Brewers since the 2nd game of the opening series is generally not well attended.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Opening Day is in Cincy this year.

The "home opener" is just that, the "home opener".

I realize this. However, locally, when people talk about "opening day", it's almost always assumed that they are talking about the Home opener. So, I just wanted to clarify. People don't say "I'm going to the home opener". They say "I'm going to Opening Day."

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I realize this. However, locally, when people talk about "opening day", it's almost always assumed that they are talking about the Home opener. So, I just wanted to clarify. People don't say "I'm going to the home opener". They say "I'm going to Opening Day."

You're getting close, you see, opening day is the first game the Brewers play in the regular season, where as Opening Day is the statewide holiday celebrated with the sharing of beer at Miller Park.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Patrick425]Since they have an off day on the Friday following the opener, I wonder if they will skip the 5th starter, meaning Grienke would start the 2nd game of the first home series. This would also make some sense for the Brewers since the 2nd game of the opening series is generally not well attended.

Greinke

Narveson

Gallardo

Marcum

Wolf

Starts skipped on April 1st and 11th.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

there may never be a longer February than what we are all about to experience. sure glad it's not Leap Year, because an additional 24 hours before March would be too much to bear.

At least the first Sunday should be a nice distraction for us Wisconsinites.....

But yeah... I havent been this geeked about the season starting in a long time.

You knew me as Myday2001.

Yea, it's still kinda hard to believe that this will be our rotation this year, especially considering Prince is still on the team.

It's given me real reason to be super excited for the season to start because without Geinke and Marcum, it would have been hard to realistically believe that the rotation was good enough to compete for a playoff berth.

The Braden Looper -> Cubs thread just made me remember the starting 5 for the 2011 Brewers

Greinke

Gallardo

Marcum

Wolf

Narveson

Yeah. That's real. (!!!!)

Dude, I have to keep reminding myself that the Brewers made those trades this winter. Lost with all the excitement of the Packers playoff run is my giddiness of the Brewers upcoming season.. spring training is just a few weeks away.

ince they have an off day on the Friday following the opener, I wonder if they will skip the 5th starter, meaning Grienke would start the 2nd game of the first home series. This would also make some sense for the Brewers since the 2nd game of the opening series is generally not well attended.

we had our season ticket draft yesterday and i scooped up april 5th, which should be greinke's home debut, assuming no rainout in cincy. i would think the team would like narverson in the pen for the first few games while starters get used to the cold water and continue to stretch out their arms.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

According to this Toronto Sun piece,

"The Kansas City Royals will start with Lorenzo Cain in centre, but with concerns about whether the 25-year-old (42 career starts) will hit has the Royals looking at Colby Rasmus of the Jays"

I wonder if Doug could get Lorenzo back. If the Royals aren't sold on him, I certainly still am.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I wonder what Cain has to do, he is at least a decent stopgap, and a team like the Royals have many gaps to fill before worrying about CF. He wasn't too far from a .400/.500 season in AAA, and has plenty of AB's at that level, and is not that young anymore. Cain has 3 years left at near minimum, maybe they see Rasmus as a potential star, but to have doubts about Lo seems like they are still the Royals, unable to give anyone unproven a chance. That's a terrible situation for an organization with tons of kids nearly ready to go.

I wonder if Doug could get Lorenzo back. If the Royals aren't sold on him, I certainly still am.

I like Cain too but before we give up something I think we have to see what we have in Schafer. I don't think either of them hit with enough power to be a corner outfielder, though the defense would be a lot better. At this point I think the system is too thin to be trading away prospects for guys that play positions we already have covered.

I thought that Cain was the biggest loss of that trade, figuring that he'd turn into a Darryl Hamilton type. If he doesn't pan out for the Royals, that deal is looking really bad from a K.C. perspective. As for reacquring him, perhaps he will be available in a year or two. It's doubtful that K.C. would send him back to the Brewers so soon.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

It was fun going back to the original threads on this and seeing how the trade went down. Pretty crazy time. I remember sitting at my computer on Saturday night just hitting the reload button, waiting for the 'official' word to get out. I sat up to 1:00 a.m. before giving up - rushing to the computer when I woke up at around 8:00.

Fun stuff.

I thought that Cain was the biggest loss of that trade, figuring that he'd turn into a Darryl Hamilton type. If he doesn't pan out for the Royals, that deal is looking really bad from a K.C. perspective. As for reacquring him, perhaps he will be available in a year or two. It's doubtful that K.C. would send him back to the Brewers so soon.

I think regardless of what Cain becomes, Odorizzi will determine how good or bad the trade was.

Archived