Brewer Fanatic

Greinke traded to Milwaukee; Latest -- more on how it came about

Mass Haas

Wow! Love it. Didn't know what to expect when I woke up this morning. We gave up a lot, but that's what it takes to get elite players.

It's going to be a lot of fun with a team that finally should have the pitching to contend.

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I keep trying to tell myself that a lot can happen between A ball and the majors for Odorizzi. I hate losing Cain; but I am probably more OK with Gomerson than many are. I am losing faith that Escobar's bat will ever come around and think his defense may have been overrated anyway (though I expect that will continue to improve). I am also sick of his off season "training" habits playing winter ball instead of hitting the weights. As others have said, if Jeffress was destined to be a reliever with the Brewers I'm OK with giving him up.

The biggest question is short....I'd rather get nobody back than Betancourt. As noted in another thread, our defense will probably be horrible after this move. Lucky our pitching will be top notch!

This is awesome news to wake up to in the morning. The loss of Odorizi definitely hurts the most; but I like Rogers & Rivas enough to think that we can still be alright in the pitching department. Besides we now don't need help from pitching prospects for 2 years. I wonder what we are going to do at SS though. A battle between Cruz & Betancourt? I will also be suprised if Doug doesn't get some kind of CF help as well.

I agree with the previous poster that this all but gaurantees that we are keeping Prince around. There is no way Melvin makes these types of pitching moves only to severly diminish our offense.

The only two holes I see rigt now are SS & CF; I am not asking for all stars there; but we do need to improve a bit. I wouldn't mind trying to package Narveson with some other pieces to get a CF. Then give Rogers a shot at the #5 spot.

Grienke, Gallardo, and Marcum as our top 3 for the next two years is ridiculous. Also don't forget that if things don't work out this year but both Marcum & Grienke perform well; we could still trade them for a massive bounty next year at this time

Getting Greinke is an all-in move. You don't trade your top hitting and top pitching prospect in the same offseason without intending to make a playoff appearance. I think you now spend the 5-10 million to shore up any remaining holes. In this case the big one is CF. Unfortunately the market is pretty bare. But Andruw Jones might have a good year left in him. Scotty Pods is out still there and is coming off a solid season.

I think this totally seals that Prince will not be a Brewer after this year. Our money will be going to Marcum and Grienke. I am all for it! Additionally, if Prince was to be dealt, I would guess it would be for prospects....however I'm not sure how you can do that now. It seems like you have to go for it NOW!

Shocked and excited that we are getting Grienke!

Lots of moving parts here, physicals, is JO in the deal and will Greinke sign an extension, if we can extend him this is a GRAND SLAM trade regardless of the cost. If we don't extend Greinke then it looks like we're going for it for 2 years and then rebuilding. LOL

I'm thinking about a 20 pack right about now

With the addition of Greinke where does our payroll stand for this year?

GO DM and the BREW

Also don't forget that if things don't work out this year but both Marcum & Grienke perform well; we could still trade them for a massive bounty next year at this time
This is the thing that we need to keep in mind. We know are where we dream to be. We have the starting pitching other teams would want. I bet we could get a lot for Greinke on a midseason trade in a year and a half. Look at what we gave up for CC and what was given up for guys like Lee and even Oswalt

If the Brewers are taking on Beatancourt's salary they will be pretty much maxed out. They might even be looking to move Hawkins for salary relief. So there aren't many moves out there to make.

I wouldn't be surprised if Attanasio gives Melvin the go-ahead to spend a little extra at this point. You could be right, though.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Boy, that is a lot to give up. I don't think that any of the pieces going to KC are can't-miss (Escobar left me underwhelmed last year), but the total haul for them seems significant. But, having said that, the return for the Brewers is a legit #1 starter who gives the team a fighting chance in the Central for the next two years. (With the revamped rotation and the existing offense, I think that's a reasonable hope.) I think you swallow hard and pay that price -- steep though it might be.

I saw this last night after work and had some time to think about it and I love the boldness of it. So I would assume a Counsell signing will follow shortly after. I could see Cabrera being a decent stop gap.

As for the Power 50 comments...I look forward to following this year because it means a major shakeup is going to happen with a lot of players jockeying for position. Should be a lot more entertaining than watching the same top 5 guys sit in the same spot. We have a lot of pitchers around A+ to AA that should be making jumps.

“I'm a beast, I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on."  C.S. Lewis

What is great is that Greinke is now represented by the same agency as Braun and Hart. Maybe that had a factor in Melvin doing this deal too. There is no way I see Melvin giving up this much for Greinke if he is represented by Boras.

For those worried about holes created or future holes, remind yourself of one thing. Coming into this offseason the Brewers had two gaping holes in their rotation. And starting pitching is BY FAR the toughest hole to fill. Look no further than the WS champs. They had a patchwork lineup. But they had the starting pitching. I'd rather have an offseason hole to fill in the everyday lineup than in the starting rotation. It's not even comparable really.

I have my dartboard set up and raring to go.

I have nothing to add other than this made me almost spit coffee all over my monitor.

Though I do have to eat some crow on this deal. I was saying just a couple days ago that there was no way Zack Greinke would be acquired by the Brewers. Guess even I can be wrong sometimes.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived