Brewer Fanatic

Greinke traded to Milwaukee; Latest -- more on how it came about

Mass Haas
I'm less on the Marcum extension bandwagon than I was before the Greinke trade. Just not sure he'll age as well and he's already 29. Seems like our resources may be better used elsewhere especially since we have some young pitching coming up. This all depends on the size of the theoretical extension though, of course.

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"We would love to be sitting here discussing a long-term contract with Zack Greinke," Moore told reporters on Sunday. "You want to hold on to your best players forever. That's a formula for winning championships, as well. But there has to be a winning partner to go forward with that. We actually went down that trail and discussed that trail with Zack long-term, and it was apparent that that wasn't something that he wanted to do."

Greinke made no secret of the fact that losing was getting to him. Maybe it will be different in Milwaukee. Greinke told Melvin that he's excited to play alongside Prince Fielder and Rickie Weeks, old friends from youth leagues in Orlando.

I don't think the bolded part will necessarily play any role in potential contract talk, but how cool is that?

From McCalvy's blog

EDIT: Wow. UQU, that was amazing. That should be a new Flash intro to the BF site.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

New Witrado blog post of a phone interview with Greinke.

“I think I made that decision to put them on the list too quickly; I didn’t think about it long,” Greinke said. “I knew Prince (Fielder) only had one year left on his contract and I wasn’t sure what direction they were going to go in with him, but once they signed (Shaun) Marcum and didn’t trade Prince, I knew they were in it.”

And according to this post, zurch, the press conference was already in progress this morning at 11:15.

You may be right TLB. I was hoping that there would be something streamed on the Brewers homepage. It did say that he just got off the phone with him at the start of that Witrado blog post, so I'm still going to hope that there will be something later today.

"We would love to be sitting here discussing a long-term contract with Zack Greinke," Moore told reporters on Sunday. "You want to hold on to your best players forever. That's a formula for winning championships, as well. But there has to be a winning partner to go forward with that. We actually went down that trail and discussed that trail with Zack long-term, and it was apparent that that wasn't something that he wanted to do."

Greinke made no secret of the fact that losing was getting to him. Maybe it will be different in Milwaukee. Greinke told Melvin that he's excited to play alongside Prince Fielder and Rickie Weeks, old friends from youth leagues in Orlando.

I don't think the bolded part will necessarily play any role in potential contract talk, but how cool is that?

TLB, that caught my eye as well.  Certainly isn't going to hurt.

The only piece I don't like giving up is Cain.

I feel the same way.

Marcum for a our 2B prospect after we extended Weeks, bye-bye Lawrie. I might be a little biased there because Weeks is one of my favorite, but I don't think Lawrie wanted a move to the outfield and that's the only chance he had coming up to the Brewers. Greinke for 3 prospects and a SS swap, Escobar = Bentancourt. Bentancourt had a couple respectable years at Seattle so maybe this move to a better offensive team can light a fire under his behind. Escobar is still young and has a lot of learning to do, which to Crew don't seem to have time for right now if they want to go for it right now. I'm fine with a Bentancourt/Counsell 75/25 split. Jeffress looks very good, can't stand people that have opportunity like he does but is involved with drugs. It seems to be a tough habit to break. Odorizzi has a lot of promise but still needs a at least 2 more years in the minors. Then we come to Cain. This one is tough because he can be very good player. Look how Nelson Cruz turned out, and I think Cain is more seasoned and better than Cruz was back then. He is major league ready and it would have been nice to see what he can bring to the table full time. BUT, we now have a starting rotation we've all been asking for. Nothing ever comes free or cheap. At the end of the day, I love these moves and hopefully we can go for it this year. **Knocks on wood** Now let's all stay healthy!!!

Austin 5:29

Life never slows down, so always make it exciting #moveit

Greinke Q&A is up:

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/112198079.html

On how excited he is: “For me, it was great. When I found out about it, I told my wife it was probably the happiest I’d been since I got drafted, like, 10 years ago. In baseball – I was happy when we got married, too.”

Another good one on the no trade list:  "But when they decided to keep Prince and then traded for Marcum, I would have put them in probably the top three teams I would have preferred to get traded to. So it all worked out good."

"I told [Doug] that back when they traded for CC that I was hoping that it was going to be me, because I think they were talking about trading for me, too."

Nice catch on the lockers... I'd missed that.

I also like that Zack's just dressed in jeans & a completely nondescript hoodie. I think he's going to fit in Milwaukee reeeeal nicely.

EDIT: “We put the list together pretty fast, and the way I was kind of

thinking about it at the time was Prince, who is a very good player, had

just one year left, and I didn’t know if they were planning on trading

him or what the plans of Milwaukee were this off-season. I kind of just

wanted to see if they were going to try to re-stock a little bit, then

it wouldn’t have been one of my first choices. But when they decided to

keep Prince and then traded for Marcum, I would have put them in

probably the top three teams I would have preferred to get traded to."

Awesome.

"It’s kind of cool – I see Rickie. He lives in Orlando and I live in

Orlando we I see him probably once or twice every off-season. It’s

usually the other way – I was always telling him I was trying to get the

Royals to trade for him the past couple of years. I always thought we’d

end up playing together because we live like, five minutes from each

other, but never really ended up playing together. So it’s kind of cool

it’s going to happen that way. Played with Prince a couple times, too.

He lives in Orlando also.”

Also awesome.

He sounds really down-to-earth, and actually pretty funny. His comment about Aaron Rodgers & fantasy football cracked me up.

Archived