Brewer Fanatic

Greinke traded to Milwaukee; Latest -- more on how it came about

Mass Haas
  • Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Isn't it kind of a shot to Greinke too if you don't start him opening day? The guy waived his no-trade clause to come here, and is a Cy Young award winner. Plus, we traded what many fans will see as "a lot" for him. So I can definitely see us starting Greinke opening day.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

It just doesn't make sense to me that Greinke would be looking to sign some team-friendly deal for an extension. Sure, of course I'd love that, but if I'm Casey Close, I point at the offer the Yanks made to Cliff Lee (7/$148M iirc) & say 'match that.' If the Brewers wouldn't match that, the Yankees sure would once Greinke hits FA.

I dunno, maybe I'm too much of a pessimist, but imo just because someone waived his no-trade clause for the Brewers doesn't mean he's going to target an extension roughly half of the amount he could get on the open market. This potential upcoming free agency will be Greinke's one 'monster' contract, much like Fielder is heading toward next offseason. He has no reason to play Mr. Nice Guy for the Brewers, even though it's fun to dream about. I guess I hope I'm proven wrong.

Just put yourself in Greinke's shoes -- what sense would it make to turn down at least $120M guaranteed as a FA? I just don't think it makes any.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Are we really going to wait to see how he pitches to give him an extension?

Is anyone saying that? I think Greinke might want to wait to see how the Brewers perform and how he likes Milwaukee before signing an extension. He's here for 2 years, there isn't a rush to make this happen right now.

Is anyone saying that? I think Greinke might want to wait to see how the Brewers perform and how he likes Milwaukee before signing an extension. He's here for 2 years, there isn't a rush to make this happen right now.

No, nobody is saying that, I'm just looking for reasons to discover the reasons we aren't approaching an extension. My main fear is that we deplete the system for 2 years of Greinke. That was my main concern in trading for him.

I'm just looking for reasons to discover the reasons we aren't approaching an extension.

One could be that Greinke has only just passed his physical & not even been introduced at the presser yet. There is absolutely nothing to be concerned about.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

No, nobody is saying that, I'm just looking for reasons to discover the reasons we aren't approaching an extension. My main fear is that we deplete the system for 2 years of Greinke. That was my main concern in trading for him.
And then replenish by trading him if we can't extend him. IMO getting young pitchers who are proven is the best move you can make. Even if for a year and a half, at the end you can trade them to someone else to get close to what you paid for them. It's beautiful!

I most definitely would have pulled this trigger, and I think the only one the Brewers will miss will be Odorizzi. I can't see Cain working out given his minor league numbers. I think this was a perfect sell high move on Lorenzo. Now, all they've got to do is figure out how to beat the Phillies who should be better in every single aspect (starting rotation, defense, offense) than the Crew. Great move--truly a great move.

how can you guys be excited about this? Greinke isn't that good--he had a losing record last year!

so i'd guess the season-ticket office at Miller Park is going to be particularly busy tomorrow morning.

in my opinion, the biggest loser in this trade is clearly Marcum, who only had about a week in Milwaukee of getting to be the cool new guy in town. he deserved more time. heck, i bet he still has some cake left.

I'm just looking for reasons to discover the reasons we aren't approaching an extension.

How do you know that we're not?

Melvin already made a comment today to Haudricourt that suggested they'd at least pursue the idea with Greinke.

That's the kind of things I'm looking for. The media hasn't addressed that much from what I've seen.

I'm all for giving the Prince extension money (5yr/$100MM) and splitting it up between Marcum and Greinke for extending 2-3 years on both of their deals.
Agreed. It's a bit easier to find a first baseman with pop(which is all you can really expect from a replacement for prince), than it is top of the rotation pitchers. Heck, Carlos Pena might be available next offseason. While he isn't the OBP monster Fielder is(by any means), he could be serviceable as a stop gap. I'd revisit the 5 yr/100m to prince, if he doesn't want it, do what you said and see if 50m for 3-4 years would be enough for Greinke/Marcum.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

in my opinion, the biggest loser in this trade is clearly Marcum, who only had about a week in Milwaukee of getting to be the cool new guy in town. he deserved more time. heck, i bet he still has some cake left.

That right there is funny.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

patrickgpe]wouldn't be surprised if the rotation was set up for greinke to start the home opener which is game #3.
I would. Also, it's Game 4, not 3. We play on March 31st then have an off day, then play 2 more. It'll go Greinke, Gallardo, Wolf on the road. That way we can show off one of our new acquisitions, which would be Marcum, in the home opener.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Archived