Brewer Fanatic

Greinke traded to Milwaukee; Latest -- more on how it came about

Mass Haas
  • Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some observations:

1) If a "bare cupboard" means still having Rogers, Rivas, Peralta, Heckathorn, Kentrail Davis, Scarpetta, and Thornburg, then call me OK with this trade. As mentioned they have two of the top 15 picks in the draft this year to replace Lawrie and Odorizzi; assuming they draft a pitcher with one of those two picks, that person won't arrive much later than Odorizzi would have.

2) I've been saying this for two years - the Brewers must really like Logan Schafer. Long-term I think he's a better fit than Cain because Schafer's left-handed and the Brewers need more balance in the lineup. However Schafer will have to start the year at AA after missing essentially all of last year. So...

C) Which would be worse overall, factoring in both offense and defense - "Gomerson" in CF, or move Hart to CF and play Gamel in RF? The latter would be tough defensively, but it would be a big boost to get another good lefty bat in the lineup...

4) Speaking of which, whomever mentioned Podsednik might be on to something. Weak arm, but he adds a left-handed bat to the lineup.

5) Since the Brewers weren't going to acquire good young pitching for Fielder, what if they traded Fielder for a top young SS and CF? Put some combination of Hart/Gamel at RF & 1B, and they fill the holes at SS and CF.

The two video clips playing in my twisted little mind...
1. Lou Brown saying "We're contenders right now."
2. The American Express (Don't steal home without it) commercial except with Brewers instead of Jailhouse Snipes.

I truly believe we are contenders right now. What else could I ask for?

J Brew

I don't even know what to say with this trade. The Brewers are making bold moves. Things could go horribly wrong but the worth is risk the reward. Instead of being a team that can eek out a Wild Card berth this team legitimately is a contender. When was the last time the Brewers went into a season with a player who legitimately could win a Cy Young and a player that could legitimately win a MVP.

Prince has to feel the Brewers are serious about winning.

I think that's a good point. The problem of his agent still remains..... I don't think anyone would argue that Prince wouldn't be happy to stay here if the Brewers end up with a competitive offer. The problem is that the Brewers can't afford what Boras will want.

So here's a crazy thought: What if we tried to get Prince to stick around for just one extra year so that we have 2 years with him and Zack? That doesn't really have any effect on the huge deal he's going to get, and we could at least match what his first year of a new deal would be.

^ I wondered about that myself but I just don't see Boras going for it. Fielder would be really valuable to this team for another year, due to the marginal value of a win with a team between 85-90 wins, so it might not be a terrible idea to give him $25MM for a single year.

I don't think there's any chance of extending Fielder, but I think there's a good chance of extending Weeks, Marcum, and possibly Greinke. That would give us a long window where we'd have a good shot at the NL Central crown.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

The amount of talent the Brewers just traded hurts indeed but let's take a look at some of the top prospects Doug has traded.

Matt LaPorta (for C.C.)

.232 .307 .388 .694

Michael Brantley (for C.C.)

.264 .313 .333 .645

Cole Gillespie (for Felipe Lopez)

.231 .283 .365 .649

Will Inman (for Linebrink)

5.17 ERA 1.508 WHIP 6.7K/9IP in AAA, no MLB time

Joe Thatcher (for Linebrink)

3.27 ERA 1.255 WHIP 9.5K/9IP

Steve Garrison (for Linebrink)

8.87 ERA 1.836 WHIP 6.9K/9IP in AAA, no MLB time

Tony Gwynn, Jr (for Gerut)

.242 .330 .320 .650 since released and signed by LA

The only real one that got away was Nelson Cruz. Maybe de la Rosa.

Great, great news. Marcum and Greinke are going to eat the NL alive. Marcum with a 3.5ish ERA in the AL East certainly projects well, and Greinke will have a chance to return to his 2009 form. Great, great trade. You don't get a Cy Young pitcher for much less than we gave up, ever.

With the hole at CF and SS, any chance we could move Hart to center and stick Gamel or McGehee in right? I know they all played a few games at those positions last year.

Wow . . . looks like I picked the wrong 24 hours to catch up on sleep and get a Christmas tree.

If I can just say something gratuitous here -- this board is so freakin' smart (assuming for the sake of argument that I'm smart enough to make the compliment credible). Pretty much everybody zeroed in on the same analysis, which I think is right: (1) you add a number one starter if you can; (2) losing Cain hurts; (3) losing the others hurts a lot less. I'm really glad I have this resource to clue me in on things.

I have always been conservative about trading prospects, probably too much so. But when you have a real plan -- when you've resolved to go get guys who can actually win something for you -- then that conservatism flies out the window. This is only the third trade in Brewers history, after Simmons/Fingers/Vuke (30 years?!?) and Sabathia, that I would call a real deal, go for the crown kind of trade. You do what you have to do.

Now, of course, what we have to do is get a shortstop. Betancourt don't cut it at all. As for CF, I like Dickerson more than most people and Gomez as little as anyone else, but those guys together at least satisfy the "warm body" standard. I'm much more amenable now to trading Gamel than I've ever been in the past if he can net us a decent shortstop. But DM can usually find a guy every year off the scrap heap to fill a need -- this year, let that guy be a shortstop.

I've been so annoyed this week as all my friends in Philly have been talking up their undeserved good fortune. This is very cathartic. We're coming for them.

Would never happen. Injury risk could cost him 100 mil dollars. 0 chance they even think about it.

Fielder has already turned down $100M dollars that could be risked with an injury, so that's clearly not true.

A lot depends on what happens in the 2011 offseason. Fielder may not get the mega offer that he expects and a one year deal with Milwaukee on a team that hopefully was a serious contender may not be such a horrible thing.

The amount of talent the Brewers just traded hurts indeed but let's take a look at some of the top prospects Doug has traded.

Joe Thatcher (for Linebrink)

3.27 ERA 1.255 WHIP 9.5K/9IP

The only real one that got away was Nelson Cruz. Maybe de la Rosa.

I would think Thatcher would look good in our bullpen too. But overall Doug's done good.

You know Doug's been a pretty good trader, and other guys in the front office handle the draft, if we could come up with a 3rd guy to handle outside free agent contracts, we'd have the perfect front office.

Archived