Brewer Fanatic

Greinke traded to Milwaukee; Latest -- more on how it came about

Mass Haas
  • Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am absolutely thrilled with this trade and I suspect Brewers ticket sales will skyrocket in 2011.

I'm a huge Alcides Escobar fan, maybe one of Escobar's biggest fans here, and I will miss him, but I think this was an incredibly great trade for the Brewers.

Can't wait to hear over 40,000 people in Miller Park chanting "ZACK, ZACK, ZACK!!!!"

Prince has to feel the Brewers are serious about winning.

I think that's a good point. The problem of his agent still remains..... I don't think anyone would argue that Prince wouldn't be happy to stay here if the Brewers end up with a competitive offer. The problem is that the Brewers can't afford what Boras will want.

I love prince, but is rather spend the money extending marcum and grienke.

But a good chance of winning for several years might induce Greinke to take a discount. Marcum might be locked up with a Gallardo-type deal. Long shot, but worth it.

But Rickie and Prince are important, too. Geinke and Marcum cannot win if the offense cannot score runs.

Melvin said Yuniesky Betancourt, who came with Greinke in the trade, will be the starting shortstop and likes his offense and says his defense is underrated.

"I think he's an exciting player who is still young," said Melvin. "He led their club in RBI. I think he will do OK in the field."

Please be lip service.

It has to be. Melvin is not that stupid. Dayton Moore is hardly that stupid.
I can't find the quote now but Moore at the time he traded for Betancourt talked about how he thought Betancourt was a good defender. Here are a link to a few Betancourt links. Betancourt is a bad bad player.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Prince has to feel the Brewers are serious about winning.

I think that's a good point. The problem of his agent still remains..... I don't think anyone would argue that Prince wouldn't be happy to stay here if the Brewers end up with a competitive offer. The problem is that the Brewers can't afford what Boras will want.

Boras works for Prince, not the other way around.

and I think at this point we can be pretty sure Fielder has told Boras to get as much money as he can. Somebody is going to pay Fielder more than we are.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I might have missed it, but I don't think anybody pointed out that if the Brewers are in contention next year it will be a lot easier to trade for a position player than a starting pitcher. If ss or cf is a glaring hole after the first 6 weeks of the season or so we can find a replacement level player available somewhere a lot easier than finding a #3 or better.

the brewers have gave up their Prospects and it looks like our Power50 especially without any SS prospect.I would think Rogers starts at 3a in their rotation. I guess we need Heacthorn Rivas and Peralta to step up in the Minors. I do like the idea of getting 2 first rounders in the top 15 in June and then those extra picks when Prince leaves should help our farm system immensly.

Just to note, COTs says this about Betancourt's contract:

"Acquired by Kansas City in trade from Seattle 7/10/09 (Seattle to pay all of 2009 salary, $1M of 2010 salary, $1M of 2011 salary)"

So he will cost the Brewers $3M next year. That extra $1M may be going to Counsell. He and Betancourt would make a nice soft platoon. Should be easy for Craig to return now that they have a shot at the playofffs and he will have opportunity to play more often.

I am excited to say the least about our starting rotation and honestly feel we have two legit #1's in Yo and ZG. Agree with most that there is a move to be made yet for a SS. I was reading up on a KC site and found a pretty amusing yet disturbing read on ZG and his past psychological issues. I dont think he is a headcase but he does seem to be eccentric. My appologies if this has been posted.

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/12/10/2511399/greinkes-best-quotes.html

I love the trade even more after reading some ZG quotes.

“Mizuno gave me a samurai sword for winning the Cy Young. It’s awesome. … I’m going to hang it up and maybe start a collection. Not a gun collection, but a samurai sword collection. If you can do it. I don’t know if you’re allowed.”

ZG on letting his parents keep his Cy Young Award while he keeps the sword.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

Couldn't be happier about this trade. Don't really see Escobar being anything other than average offensively, Cain could be good, but he's never going to be great. Odorizzi might be the biggest loss, because I think Jeffress is still a question mark. Will be interesting to see if KC starts him or not. The main point is that we got a Cy Young pitcher in Zack Greinke! And our rotation is now Greinke, Gallardo, Marcum, Wolf, Narveson. Sounds like a win to me!
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Um....ahhhh....huh....WOW! Speechless.

I believe that if our minor leaguer's repeat their performance from last year are farm system is not bad off. Scarpetta, Peralta, Rivas, Heckathorn, and Thornburg we are not that bad off for prospects and if Arnett comes around we are sitting pretty. As for hitters, Gennett, Green, K Davis, Schafer, Komatsu, and Dykstra all showed me something. Anyone who has seen Dykstra and Green play could they make the switch to SS?

I pop in to BF.net every day in case a major piece of news happens. This was as big of a shock as the day I found out we got CC. I am so pumped to start the season now.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Can't wait to see ZG in a Brewer uniform...Also excited to see his wife (Miss Daytona Beach USA 2008) at Miller Park rooting him on!

http://www.tedsarmy.com/.a/6a01310f9ede0b970c01348899d59d970c-800wi

Yeah, I posted this in the rumor thread. She was also a Dallas Cowboys cheerleader.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Archived