Brewer Fanatic

Greinke traded to Milwaukee; Latest -- more on how it came about

Mass Haas
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I wonder how Cain took this news. Didn't he get really upset during the winter meetings when his name was brought up in a trade rumor?

http://brewersbeat.mlblog..._motivated_by_trade.html

"I got the news early this morning, and I'm just going to try to take

advantage of it," Cain said. "I'm going to try to be the guy for them.

I'm glad I have this opportunity to go in and play center field for the

Kansas City Royals. I'm very excited."

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really hope Betancourt isn't our everyday SS. It'd be like buying a Ferrari and putting old busted tired on it (or something). There's got to be a little left in the budget for a legit shortstop.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

I really hope Betancourt isn't our everyday SS. It'd be like buying a Ferrari and putting old busted tired on it (or something). There's got to be a little left in the budget for a legit shortstop.

You would hope. It wouldn't make a lot of sense to go all-in and then leave glaring weaknesses that diminish the value of your additions.

All this talk of how bad Betancourt is feels a little like telling your friends that you are dating Megan Fox, but that she wears Crocs.

People, we are dating MEGAN FOX!!

I'd say more like dating Megan Fox, but she always brings her annoying friend Snooki with her wherever you go.

Wow. All I can say is wow. I wish I could say I had faith in DM all along, but I can't. But he pulled it off! I can't believe it! OK, Gomez/Dickerson will be in CF, which is OK. Betancourt scares me. I can't believe I'd rather have Cruz than Betancourt, but I would. Anyone, but Betancourt. However, WE HAVE ZACH GREINKE!!!! By the way, do you all realize this make Yo our #2, Marcum our #3, Wolf our #4??? That's pretty darn good, compared to the possibility of Yo #1, Marcum #2, Wolf #3, and Pavano #4 and possibly Narveson #5. THIS IS AWESOME!!!! Now, watching the Packers probably not win tonight will be all the more palatable!

I think the Betancourt bashing is a bit over the top. He was admittedly bad in 2009, but otherwise he has been above replacement. For 2011, he should be projected in the same neighborhood as Escobar. Granted, he will be paid a fair amount of money to not be good next year, but he should be better than anyone else the Brewers have. Taking on Betancourt was part of the price of getting Greinke, and I'm okay with that.

Betancourt probably projects to -12 or -15 with the glove. That's bad, but over 150 games, that's like one run every 10 or 12 games. That's like 1 run every 3 or 4 series. I think we can overcome that.

Betancourt probably projects to -12 or -15 with the glove. That's bad, but over 150 games, that's like one run every 10 or 12 games. That's like 1 run every 3 or 4 series. I think we can overcome that.

That negates around 20% of the value Zack Greinke adds. That's just his defense. Betancourt is bad.

Talk to a Royals fan instead of just using metrics as you will find that Betencourt is liuke Weeks from 2 years ago.....makes insanely ridiculously good plays then screws up his footwork the next.....The people on here that are saying he is worthless should be dismissed. I think his lack of a batting eye at the plate (5th in the league at swinging at pitches out of the strike zone) could be helped by placing him in the 8 spot in front of the pitcher.

By the way, Greinke has a decent swing too, making the Brewer pitchers by far the best hitting group in the NL.

Archived