Brewer Fanatic

Carlos Gomez Avoids Arbitration, Signs 1 yr/$1.5MM Deal

crewcrazy

According to McCalvy, who tweeted it just a few minutes before Haudricourt. No terms released yet, but he did make $1.1 million last season, and a small raise seems likely.

Manny Parra, Kameron Loe, Shaun Marcum, Rickie Weeks, and Prince Fielder are the remaining players eligible for arbitration.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Shoot, I was hoping Gomez would go away.

I still don't understand why Doug Melvin tendered him a contract with how bad he was last season....

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

The potential argument for Gomez has run it's course. I don't like him and he sucks. I feel the only reason why Doug offered him a contract was because he doesn't want to say that the Hardy trade was a bad trade.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

I feel the only reason why Doug offered him a contract was because he doesn't want to say that the Hardy trade was a bad trade.
I think we have seen that Melvin will cut his losses on bad players even at great cost. He did get rid of Hall and Suppan.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

A million dollars isn't a lot to pay for a backup CF who is above-average defensively and has above-average speed as a pinch-runner - I'd say that's the going rate for someone with those skills. Remember, Cain is their starting CF and Gomez is now the 4th/5th OF.

I feel the only reason why Doug offered him a contract was because he doesn't want to say that the Hardy trade was a bad trade.
I think we have seen that Melvin will cut his losses on bad players even at great cost. He did get rid of Hall and Suppan.
Only after a long long time... Doug Melvin has cut his losses on expensive players, but only after keeping them way to long. Especially with Suppan and Hall.

The potential argument for Gomez has run it's course. I don't like him and he sucks. I feel the only reason why Doug offered him a contract was because he doesn't want to say that the Hardy trade was a bad trade.
The trade was a failure on both sides. Still, Gomez can't leave Milwaukee soon enough for my tastes.

Tom Haudricourt says that Gomez will make $1.5 million, assuming he isn't let go before the end of spring training. It's important to remember that even though he reached a contract without going to arbitration, it's not totally guaranteed.

It amounts to a raise of $400,000 for him, and $1.5 million isn't bad for a player that provides the defense Gomez does. He was a black hole at the plate in 2010, but it's a bit unfair to just say "he sucks" -- he does have some value. I wouldn't underestimate the new manager in this equation, either. If he's really going to send runners as much as he says he is, it's entirely possible he sees Gomez as a valuable basestealer.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Hardy was just traded again for basically nothing so although people like to romanticize Hardy he just doesn't seem to have a lot of value in trades. Gomez can play excellent Defense in CF and can run like the wind, I'd take him over Dickerson as a 4th OF. Dickerson was not impressive at all in CF defensively or offensively.

He is young and has potential. That said, I also want him to go away. I feel his potential is to tempting for managers to just let the guy sit. He sucks.

When the trade was made, i was one of the suckers who thought maybe just a change of scenery and another year of experience could help bring out better the physical gifts that Gomez possesses. In the end though, the guy is just has a very low baseball IQ and it's hard to see how that can been helped/fixed.

Ugh Gomez was atrocious last year. Frankly I just don't see the need for a PR/Defensive Replacement when it's clear he can't hit and doesn't do enough things well to warrant a roster spot.

When you think of the Johan Santana to the Mets deal, is that not one of the biggest swindles of all time?

Gomez is absolute junk. Can't hit, has no power, is not even 4th OF worthy

Deolis Guerra is still in the minors with an ERA between 5 and 6.

Philip Humber just got DFA'd... by Kansas City.

Kevin Mulvey was a sort of worthless PTBNL in the Jon Rauch trade.

If Santana had stayed healthy we could be talking about one of the more historic one sided swaps in history.

Hardy was just traded again for basically nothing so although people like to romanticize Hardy he just doesn't seem to have a lot of value in trades. Gomez can play excellent Defense in CF and can run like the wind, I'd take him over Dickerson as a 4th OF. Dickerson was not impressive at all in CF defensively or offensively.

According to some of DM quotes it sound like Gomez will get more playing time then people think in CF, because the Brewers aren't ready to just give it to Cain. This is why I have such a distaste for this signing. I believe that Cain deserves a fair shot because imo his plate discipline is way better than Gomez which will lead to him getting on base and etc.. Cain has plus speed and can play plus defense in CF as well as Gomez. Cain is more of a complete player.

Gomez also has a poor attitude. Last August when Cain took over for him in CF Gomez was quoted saying that "I'm is the best CF on the team". I don't like his attitude and I think he is delusional to be completely honest. He's not very smart. He's a head case. I also remember him running into a lot of outs on the base paths. Making some really stupid base running mistakes. I will admit that he is a good base stealer, but at the same time I will also admit that I think he is a bad base runner. He should not see any significant playing time and if he does it's a big mistake.

I wouldn't have signed him even if he made the minimum salary.

Gomez also has a poor attitude. Last August when Cain took over for him in CF Gomez was quoted saying that "I'm is the best CF on the team". I don't like his attitude and I think he is delusional to be completely honest.

He clarified that comment & said he meant defensively, not overall.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

As poorly as he hit he still put up a positive WAR last year and that was with having a down year defensively as well. This is a very fair price for him. Now if he would only stop swinging at 40% of the pitches that are thrown to him that are out of the strike zone maybe he could get to replacement level offensively.

For a backup outfielder that should provide a bit of value this isn't terrible. He is one of the least likable Brewers in the past few years, right up there with Johnny "I don't run out a bases-loaded grounder with one out in an extra-inning game" Estrada. He's incredibly frustrating to watch at the plate, but his ability to field will ensure that he's worth this contract.

Does Gomez have an option left? It might be nice to send him a message by starting him in AAA.

Carlos has two options left, however, I believe that he'd have to go through revocable waivers to be optioned. I wonder if this is a split contract.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

As poorly as he hit he still put up a positive WAR last year and that was with having a down year defensively as well.

I am not against advanced metrics but IMHO WAR has shown some very odd people in the positive win side. I simply can't find a reason to take WAR seriously when it routinely shows things that are so visibly not true.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

[quote author=Ennder wrote:

[/b] Now if he would only stop swinging at 40% of the pitches that are thrown to him that are out of the strike zone maybe he could get to replacement level offensively.

The problem is that he has shown absolutely no indication that he will stop swinging at those pitches.

He was a black hole at the plate in 2010, but it's a bit unfair to just say "he sucks" -- he does have some value.

Sure he does, as long as he never has a bat in his hands.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Backupcatchers]As poorly as he hit he still put up a positive WAR last year and that was with having a down year defensively as well.

I am not against advanced metrics but IMHO WAR has shown some very odd people in the positive win side. I simply can't find a reason to take WAR seriously when it routinely shows things that are so visibly not true.

Well pitching WAR is completely useless so I'll agree with at least part of it. On the position player side the replacement level CF is just really bad. All it really takes is being a decent fielder to have value as a CF and keep in mind $1.5M is a very small chunk of money. Where I think the biggest problem is would be defensive metrics and WAR for partial seasons which probably does artificially inflate Gomez's value but I have no problem at all spending that money on a no hit good glove backup CF.

Archived