Fielder

Weeks

Hart

McGehee

Bentacourt

Lucroy/pitcher

Pitcher/Gomez

Platoon Morgan/Gomez, leadoff Weeks against LHP

I really like this line up ... I am 100% for Braun in the 2 hole and fielder in the 3. Start watching the number of times late in the game that Gomez comes to the plate in the 2 hole and just think, would I rather have him batting or Braun batting?

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morgan

Braun

Fielder

Weeks

Hart

McGehee

Bentacourt

Lucroy/pitcher

Pitcher/Gomez

Platoon Morgan/Gomez, leadoff Weeks against LHP

I really like this line up ... I am 100% for Braun in the 2 hole and fielder in the 3. Start watching the number of times late in the game that Gomez comes to the plate in the 2 hole and just think, would I rather have him batting or Braun batting?

A few years ago, Yost moved Braun and Fielder out of the 3-4 slots in the order for a week. Prince and Braun went into his office and told him to change it back. They were uncomfortable moving out of the roles they were accustomed to.

"I still feel good about Carlos. When I don't know guys that well, I look hard at them. I saw things in spring training with him that I didn't see when he was in Minnesota. I still feel, and Dale (Sveum) feels, that it's still there. I saw it too long, pretty much the whole month of spring training games. It's there."

There you go, guys. That's why RR he's been batting a guy with a career OBP of .292 before two of the best hitters in the league. He SAW something, and for a WHOLE month! ("pretty much") I can't wait to see what his gut tells him to do next.

A few years ago, Yost moved Braun and Fielder out of the 3-4 slots in the order for a week. Prince and Braun went into his office and told him to change it back. They were uncomfortable moving out of the roles they were accustomed to.
Didn't he flip-flop them rather than moving them out of the 3-4 spots entirely? I think Macha tried that too.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

They were flip-flopped twice; once by Yost, once by Macha. It was disastrous both times.

I use this a lot in my self-delusions that Prince will stay here because he knows he needs to hit behind Braun to be super effective.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Weeks

Lucroy

Braun

Fielder

Hart

McGehee

Bentacourt

Gomez/Boggs

Pitcher

No, I'm not kidding. Lucroy is a good hitter. He isn't going to SLG much and he is probably a little slow (warning: catcher stereotype) leading to some DPs, but he has a high OBP and has done that for his whole minor league career.

Its time.

This "Gomez in the 2-hole" thing has got to stop. Gomez is an awful, awful fit for the #2-hole. He's the worst at getting on base, and he doesn't hit for power. He also makes more mental errors on the bases than anyone else in the lineup, so you've also got the most likely candidate to make an out on the basepath in front of Braun or Fielder.

His only weapon, speed, is reduced by the fact that batting in front of Braun and Fielder, you should be less inclined to have him running.

If you must start him, which, with Morgan out I agree you must, put him down in the #7 spot where he can't hurt anybody.

The only reason I wouldn't have him 8th is that I prefer my #8 hitter be able to be selective hitting in front of the pitcher, since there are plenty of situations in that spot where he's not going to see anything to hit, and pitchers already know that they don't really need to give Gomez anything to hit.

I think Gomez 7th would be a good idea. We have crappy hitters in the bottom of the order so a guy who can get to 2B by himself has more value hitting in front of those guys. At least then he is probably at least at 2B when the pitcher sacrifices, which they frequently do.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I love watching Gomez in the field. I would put him up against any CF in the league in terms of defense. I hate watching Gomez at the plate. I would put him up againts Wil Nieves in terms of worst hitter on the roster.

At least Gomez has power, I guess. It really isn't a hard decision, but RRR is being stupid about it. Bat him 8th or 9th, heck even 7th. RRR doesn't seem to understand lineup optimization, he constructs his lineups around Situational Hitting™.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'd really like to see Rickie get more ABs with runners on base. But I'm not fond of moving him from the leadoff spot, especially with Morgan on the DL. Maybe that's the shrewd reasoning why Lucroy's still hitting 8th...?

Rickie needs to not be the leadoff hitter anymore in my opinion. I'm with others on this board that if he is going to be a power hitter, it is time to drop him in the lineup and focus on getting the guys who will slap the ball around to the top of the lineup. However, I am not sure we have that guy other than Nyjer. The problem, as has been mentioned other places, is we have too many of the same types of players (HR hitters) and not enough slap hitters in the mold of Jeff Cirillo or Mark Loretta. I don't think Rickie is truly the problem but with the hitter he has developed into, I really believe it is time to move him to a more run producing spot in the lineup as he will likely be there next season anyways when Prince leaves.

We don't need slap hitters. We need OBP guys. They are not necessarily the same thing.
Let me clarify:

We need Jeff Cirillo/Mark Loretta types. Shouldn't have included slap hitters even though Nyjer, a slap hitter in my eyes, will help this lineup immensely when healthy.

Working and posting leads to jotting down thoughts and not proof reading before posting. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Is it time for Lucroy to be considered a potential 2 hole hitter? He is only sitting at .351 OBP right now but he seems to put together good AB's and lets not forget that he is not always getting good pitches in every at-bat with the pitcher hitting after him. That would allow CarGo to move down to 7 and Yuni to 8...

Edit: Just noticed that CWH beat me to the punch...darn, I'm getting slow in my advanced age.

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

In the post game interview, a reporter asked about the possibility of moving Lucroy up in the lineup. RR used that opportunity to explain just how important the #8 hitter is to the lineup. Yeh... really. Here's my lineup (without getting too crazy) and it seems so obvious:

Weeks

Hart

Braun

Fielder

McGehee

Lucroy

Betancourt

Gomez

That's the lineup I would go with for now. But if Lucroy keeps hitting, I would move him up to the #2 or #5 spot. Just depends how Hart and McGehee do as well. Don't know if the stats back me up, just seems like the #1 goal in the Brewers lineup is to get guys on base in front of Braun/Fielder. The 2nd goal would be to have your 5th best hitter behind Braun/Fileder. Is that too simplistic?

just seems like the #1 goal in the Brewers lineup is to get guys on base in front of Braun/Fielder. The 2nd goal would be to have your 5th best hitter behind Braun/Fileder.

IS or should be?

FVBrewerFan wrote:

The 2nd goal would be to have your 5th best hitter behind Braun/Fileder. Is that too simplistic?

Just way to logical for our current manager.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

The 2nd goal would be to have your 5th best hitter behind Braun/Fileder. Is that too simplistic?

Well, I'd stick the 5th best hitter between Fielder and Braun, but since that isn't going to happen, 5th would be the logical spot.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Step 1: Bat 5 best hitters in top 5 spots, remaining 3/4 in lowest spots

Step 2: ?

Step 3: Profit!

I really wish RRR would just get out of his own way. But it looks like Corey is going to have to re-establish that he can hit. For some reason RRR has been ok with McGehee struggling & batting higher in the lineup, but not Corey. I've stopped trying to figure it out.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived