Brewer Fanatic

General Lineup Discussion: 2011

brewtank34
  • Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Lucroy is moved to #2 it's because RRR wants him to bunt all the time. That's what your #2 hitter has to do, you know.

If RonRo believed this religiously, I'd think batting yuni at #2 all year (to make his bat somewhat effective [yes, i know he's been hot lately]) would have made a lot of sense.

But seriously, Lucroy should have moved up a long time ago. And the ghost of Taylor Green ought to start haunting that lineup.

My lineup when Weeks returns.

Morgan

Hairston

Braun

Fielder

Weeks

Hart

McGhee

Lucroy

Bench: Lopez Kotsay Gomez Counsell/Wilson Kottaras

Bullpen: Axford KRod Saito Hawkins Loe (LEFTY) Estrada

Rotation: Greinke Gallardo MArcum Wolf NArveson.

This team makes the playoffs.

Yeah, I'd like that team a lot. Won't happen though. Betancourt will for sure be on the team at least. Wilson will be gone when Weeks comes back before September. If not, it won't even matter and we'll just keep everyone. Gomez won't be back until September either, so we won't have to make a move for him.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

This is what I want to see against RHers (including their ZiPS ROS Projections):

VS. RHers:

CF Morgan (.279/.333/.371)

RF Hart (.269/.332/.467)

LF Braun (.304/.367/.546)

1B Fielder (.283/.406/.533)

SS Hairston (.265/.323/.416)

3B McGehee (.260/.314/.401)

C Lucroy (.263/.318/.385)

2B Lopez (.250/.314/.347)

Against lefties, bat Betancourt 6th and play hm at SS and have Hairston leadoff and play in CF? Just hard to come up with good options without Weeks and Gomez.

vs RHP:

CF Morgan

3B Hairston

LF Braun

1B Fielder

RF Hart

2B Lopez

SS Betancourt

C Lucroy

P

vs LHP

RF Hart

CF Hairston

LF Braun

1B Fielder

2B Lopez

SS Betancourt

3B McGehee

C Lucroy

P

When Weeks comes back, Betancourt or McGehee gets benched depending on who is hitting worse

Its so he can focus on his catching, because, apparently, if you hit 5th instead of 8th in the lineup your brain can only think about hitting 5th. Not which pitch to call or who is hitting for the other team at the moment.

Heck, I bet if RRR hit him 5th, he'd probably end up catching with his mask on backwards or something.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Weeks not close to returning.

Speaking of Weeks, Roenicke said the second baseman isn't close to returning. It appears as though the Brewers' initial estimate that Weeks would be out 2-6 weeks is probably going to be closer to the latter than the former.

Weeks severely sprained his left ankle while trying to beat out an infield hit on July 27.

"It's still going to be awhile," he said. "I think they're very happy, actually, with his recovery so far. He's a very tough guy, he can play with pain. But an ankle injury like he had, it's not a matter of how tough he is. Those have to be right before he's able to go out there and do the things he wants."

Source: Todd Rosiak, http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/127341618.html

(edit: offset quoted material and cited source --1992)

I don't know if this is the best spot for this, but why does Lopez start at 2b so often instead of JHJ? Is it because Roenicke had Lopez first and doesn't realize that Hairston is better (both offensively and defensively), or is there some other reason? This is another really frustrating thing about this season w/ Roenicke/Melvin. Just another case of having better players on the bench or in the minors instead of starting or in the majors, respectively.

No one knows. Hairston is better than 4 guys on the field tonight, and yet, he sits the bench.

If he'd been on the team 2 days earlier, I'd imagine he'd be the starting 2B. Or if he couldn't play CF.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I just think Roenicke is trying to play matchups at 2B for now with Weeks out. As in LHH vs RHP and RHH vs LHP. Not saying it's right or wrong (considering Lopez is a shell of his 2009 form) but it is what it is. Hairston should play basically everyday with Weeks out but he's not going to. So long as they continue winning games it's not an issue. Although you do look at last night and you wonder if a different lineup would have led to less double plays and more runs.

Counsel should never be in the starting lineup again. He is done IMO. I'm tired of the feel good sentimentality of Brewer fans directed at the good ole boy from Whitefish bay. Bill Halls struggles were half what Counsel is experiencing, and we couldn't get him out of town fast enough. Yet there is no outcry for Counsel's departure. It's ridiculous. He is not helping this team with his play in any way. If you want to make him a bench coach, go ahead. Isn't 29 years of not winning a playoff series enough for fans to demand the Brewers put there best possible team on the field from here on out. I guess not.

Not to be a broken record, but why is Roenicke so afraid to move Nyjer to the leadoff spot? It doesn't make sense to me. Corey Hart flourished in the #2 hole and Nyjer has all the makings of a leadoff hitter, and has leadoff before.

Morgan

Hart

Braun

Fielder

McGehee

Betancourt

Hairston

Lucroy

and when Weeks back it actually looks like a lineup again

Morgan

Hart

Braun

Fielder

Weeks

McGehee

Betancourt

Lucroy

It just seems to me with all the offensive struggles it would help to have a power hitter who loves fastballs, getting a lot more fastballs in the #2 hole in Corey Hart, and having an igniter at the leadoff spot in Morgan.

why is Roenicke so afraid to move Nyjer to the leadoff spot?

Because your #2 hitter has to be good at giving up outs through bunting. It's essential! What, you'd have a good hitter there who you'd just allow to swing away?

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Can everyone just give up on Green being in the everyday lineup already? It obviously won't happen. Especially now. A guy isn't just gonna come in from AAA and become an everyday starter on a 1st place team. As much as I have disliked McGehee this year, the feeling in the front office isn't mutual. Yuni's hot streak also eliminates him losing playing time. Our lineup will be ...

Hart
Morgan
Braun
Fielder
Weeks
McGehee
Betancourt
Lucroy
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

My thoughts are strictly concerning the postseason roster, so all Taylor Green discussion is basically nullified because I don't think he has a role unless they give up on McGehee (which isn't happening). Once Weeks returns the lineup looks pretty potent, especially if they ever come around to working Hairston in at SS. I actually like the bench situation once Gomez returns - yes, it lacks the HR threat but there's quite a bit for RR to work with there.

Weeks
Morgan
Braun
Fielder
Hart
McGehee
Hairston
Lucroy

That's a lineup I can feel pretty good about.

Can everyone just give up on Green being in the everyday lineup already? It obviously won't happen. Especially now. A guy isn't just gonna come in from AAA and become an everyday starter on a 1st place team. As much as I have disliked McGehee this year, the feeling in the front office isn't mutual. Yuni's hot streak also eliminates him losing playing time. Our lineup will be ...

Hart
Morgan
Braun
Fielder
Weeks
McGehee
Betancourt
Lucroy
Notice I said end of September. You don't think he'll be on the roster at the end of the year? Not the playoffs, not starting everyday, just a decent lineup that could come up at the end of September.

Archived