Hart

Braun

Fielder

Gamel

Lucroy

Shortstop

Pitcher

Gomez

Upgrading theShortstop position is of utmost importance...if only Gomez could get on-base enough to lead-off, I'd like to see Weeks all the time in the #5 spot protecting Fielder

I don't like the idea of switching Weeks between leadoff and fifth. I'd like to see something like this.

vs Righties:

1) Morgan

2) Weeks

3) Braun

4) Fielder

5) Hart

6) McGehee

7) Lucroy

8) Bentancourt

vs Lefties

1) Gomez

2) Weeks

3) Braun

4) Fielder

5) Hart

6) MeGehee

7) Lucroy

8) Bentancourt

Gomez hits lefties well enough and we don't face them that often so I could handle him batting leadoff every now and then. I think Weeks will be much more productive out of the 2 hole assuming he doesn't change his approach. Bentancourt needs to be replaced but Counsell isn't much better and obviously can't play more than 2 or 3 days in a row. I'd actually like to see them move Wilson down and bring Taylor Green up. Green can back up third and second and Counsell can concentrate on backing up shortstop.

I have to say, it's nice to see a different lineup... McGehee 7th, solid. Wilson 8th, alright. Kottaras 6th, ok seems good.

Mark Kotsay will play in left and bat third.

http://island-adv.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/banghead.gif

EDIT: But who am I to argue with genius that uses a guy batting .244/.301/.333 against RHP so far this season in the 3-hole?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I have to say, it's nice to see a different lineup... McGehee 7th, solid. Wilson 8th, alright. Kottaras 6th, ok seems good.

Mark Kotsay will play in left and bat third.

http://island-adv.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/banghead.gif

EDIT: But who am I to argue with genius that uses a guy batting .244/.301/.333 against RHP so far this season in the 3-hole?

RR is insane.

Here is my unpopular lineup. (At least against righties)

Morgan
Hart
Braun
Prince
Rickie
Mcgehee
Lucroy
Betancourt

Rickie has served his time as a leadoff man and done pretty well but it is time to optimize his talents. He only was thrust in the leadoff role in the Yosty years because they had no other options at the time and he has kinda stuck. I think batting behind Prince would help him flourish even more. He would still see a ton of fastballs too. I think it is an advantage because (a) he is better than McGehee, (b) he is not a rally killing DP hitter, © he can steal bases ahead of Mcgehee so they can avoid GIDP.

I think Morgan can be a solid traditional leadoff man. ---BS

I guess I was right about Rickie. Ho hum. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gifhttp://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gifhttp://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

What is the fascination with Betemit? I ask genuinely.

Marginally better - offensively and defensively - than McGehee and some of you are willing to give up assets for him? And please, spare me the sabremetrics. Betemit is a lateral, and unnecessary move, for this club.

I'm convinced that there is a portion of fans that don't watch baseball at all. They get a hold of the name du jour and base an opinion off what their fantasy team's stats tell them or the most recent trade they pulled off on XBox. They want to make trades for the sake of making trades.

@Aytumious...great answer. Pretty informative. :facepalm. Your answer is pretty short sighted, but that is par for the course with fans who want to make knee jerk deals or cut their wrists. Sure McGehee sucks, and I pretty much hate him, but to give up ANYTHING for Betemit is foolish. Just bring up Green. Hell, move Gamel back there. To give up any asset whatsoever for Wilson Betemit, even you sitting on your recliner eating potato chips, is dumb.

You making any fantasy or APBA trades today?

High five, friend!

I wonder why Morgan doesn't hit 1st.

I don't think there's any doubt that it's because Roenicke believes 100% that the most important trait of a #2 hitter is how good he is at sacrifice bunting. I hate this.

I wonder why Morgan doesn't hit 1st.

I don't think there's any doubt that it's because Roenicke believes 100% that the most important trait of a #2 hitter is how good he is at sacrifice bunting. I hate this.

That's not entirely true. He also likes a guy who can put the ball in play during a hit and run, one of the most exciting yet stupid plays in baseball.

Verified Member
@Aytumious...great answer. Pretty informative. :facepalm. Your answer is pretty short sighted, but that is par for the course with fans who want to make knee jerk deals or cut their wrists. Sure McGehee sucks, and I pretty much hate him, but to give up ANYTHING for Betemit is foolish. Just bring up Green. Hell, move Gamel back there. To give up any asset whatsoever for Wilson Betemit, even you sitting on your recliner eating potato chips, is dumb.

High five, friend!

What does this have to do with my question?

High five, friend!

Nearly everyone here has been calling for over a month to have Melvin bring up Green, you aren't on to something all by yourself, but it seems pretty clear by now that Melvin is stubborn as all hell and instead would prefer seeing McGehee and occasionally Counsell produce absolutely nothing at thirdbase. Hardricourt has mentioned that Doug just doesn't want to use an unproven rookie in a playoff race. Yea, it's a ridiculous excuse given how miserable McGehee has been for about 75 games now, both on offense and defense.

If that is the case though, it is what it is, regardless of how much we can disagree with Melvin on bringing up Green. So if Doug foolishly will continue being stubborn with Green/McGehee, i'd certainly rather have Betemit than simply just sticking with Casey, so long as we don't have to give up a top 5-7 prospect, which i doubt it would cost.

High five, friend!

Nearly everyone here has been calling for over a month to have Melvin bring up Green, you aren't on to something all by yourself, but it seems pretty clear by now that Melvin is stubborn as all hell and instead would prefer seeing McGehee and occasionally Counsell produce absolutely nothing at thirdbase. Hardricourt has mentioned that Doug just doesn't want to use an unproven rookie in a playoff race. Yea, it's a ridiculous excuse given how miserable McGehee has been for about 75 games now, both on offense and defense.

If that is the case though, it is what it is, regardless of how much we can disagree with Melvin on bringing up Green. So if Doug foolishly will continue being stubborn with Green/McGehee, i'd certainly rather have Betemit than simply just sticking with Casey, so long as we don't have to give up a top 5-7 prospect, which i doubt it would cost.

Well said. This is really what the situation is right now. Betemit > McGehee right now, and will come cheap so I say do it.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

That's not entirely true. He also likes a guy who can put the ball in play during a hit and run, one of the most exciting yet stupid plays in baseball.

Ok, so 95% bunting, 5% hit-&-run? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I wonder if there have been better examples in recent memory of this:

When we were playing Kotsay, Gomez, Nieves, 2011 Casey McGehee and Betancourt --

You had 2 Hall of Fame caliber sluggers, a guy that may be a perennial All Star for the foreseeable future, and 5 below replacement-level hitters.

Just weird.

I would guess good comparisons to this may exist in the days where managers had less stats available and were going more by non-important stats like batting average, tenure, and the ability to provide "professional at bats" to make their lineup.

Well, I guess that would still include Roenicke.

I also agree that Weeks should stay higher in the lineup. In fact, I would seriously consider having Weeks-Braun-Fielder be 1-2-3 in order to maximize at bats for those three, with Hart in cleanup. At the very least, I would make the lineup Morgan-Weeks-Braun-Fielder-Hart. I know Cory does not like the 5 hole, but it is what it is. If you don't think Prince is protected enough in the three hole, then I would do Morgan-Braun-Fielder-Weeks. All in effort to maximize Braun and Fielder's at-bats.

So, assuming Rickie has to sit for awhile, where does that leave us offensively? Hart is probably best suited for the five spot, but then who hits leadoff? Morgan would work, but then there's that 2-hole problem.

Hart
Morgan
Braun
Fielder
McGehee
2B (Green? Counsell? Trade?)
Yuni
Lucroy
P

The bottom half looks awfully ugly there, but if Hart hits fifth, then what?

Morgan
Lucroy
Braun
Fielder
Hart
McGehee
2B
Yuni
P

Or when Morgan doesn't play? Hart's gotta leadoff then, right?

Hart
Lucroy
Braun
Fielder
McGehee
2B
Yuni
Carroll
P

Of course, RRR doesn't like hitting Lucroy 2nd, but what other options do we have? What would you do with what we have available?

Just going through this, it seems like DM absolutely has to get another infielder now.

Here's hoping Weeks can come back within a month or so.

Archived