Brewer Fanatic

Parking in Madison?

temke

My wife is going to be in Madison the next two weeks for some graduate classes and we are looking for a place to park her car for free/cheap.

She will be staying and attending classes on campus and we know how parking is on campus. Does anyone have any ideas of places you can leave a car for an extended period of time (4-5 days) and have relatively easy bus/walking access back to campus?

We have checked Metro and the Park and Ride lots, but most of them have time restrictions. We have also checked a couple places downtown and they are looking for upwards of $50/week to park...which is a bit too much for a car that will be not used the entire week.

If there is anyone who is in walking distance or a bus line to campus, that has any ideas or possibly a place to leave a car for the next two weeks, let me know. Payment is negotiable...I may have some tickets to upcoming games to trade.

I cannot guarentee that there will be any spots availible but on the back side of the Kohl center there is a small parking lot that is free to park in. I don't know how to give you directions to it, or if it helps at all, but its near Francis Street.

Good luck trying to find free or cheap parking near the Capitol/campus. When I lived in Whitewater, I sometimes went to Madison to visit a politician friend of mine at the capitol and all I could find were the parking garages. I always used to park at the Mifflin St. parking garage.

If your wife is staying in Madison, the only idea I would have is to find a place near mass transit. UW-Madison has a free shuttle (at least that is what I knew when I visited there a few times) for students, so my best bet would be to find a place to stay that you can transfer from Madison mass transit and then transfer to the UW-Madison transit service.

If you're coming in on UW business, contact UW transportation services, they may be able to hook you up. Here is the contact info...

UW Transportation Services Contact info

Also, where are you staying? A lot of hotels in the downtown area have shuttles. I also know weekly bus passes are fairly inexpensive, but that doesn't solve the parking situation, unless you park it at your hotel then bus it in to campus.

going toward the capitol, take a right on Mills Street and there's a lot a couple blocks down. I always parked there for free for hockey games. i can't say, though, how full it ends up being during the day.

thanks for the ideas. we just decided that she really doesnt need a car up there and any other method would be either ridiculously costly or a pain in the butt.

i would assume transportation could get us a lot 60 pass, but their office isnt open on weekends (she leaves tonight) and probably isnt overly cheap.

my wife is really excited to be staying in the towers for two weeks though http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Park underneath Helen C., and then pray.

..that's what I've been doing recently anyway. I'm not there all day, but have been successful in parking there for 5-6 hours at a time whenever I have business to take care of in the area. I don't know what the deal is with MPD enforcement over summer, but I've gotten away without feeding the meters outside of the designated 'free parking' time.

Now that I wrote that, I'm sure my luck will promptly run out tomorrow.

Quote:
Actually, "lot 60" isn't the catch-all, relatively inexpensive option it used to be. It's shrinking gradually due to expansion of the medical buildings on that end of campus.

darn health care system...they cant get anything right http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

ccbrew...i think you are right. i did have good luck there as well in my undergrad days.

we got her up there last night...now we just have to get her back home for the weekend! lots of options for that thankfully.

Archived