Brewer Fanatic

Offseason / Spring Training Audio Archive Thread

Mass Haas

We'll keep an offseason audio / video thread pinned at the top of this forum this winter, certain links may also be posted in their corresponding topic thread depending on the circumstance.

First of all, here's the post in the Shaun Marcum thread that includes multiple interviews from all sides.

WSSP -- New Pitching Coach Rick Kranitz interview

WSSP -- Mon. 12/13 Hot Stove Weekly Show (this full show audio includes the Kranitz interview)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jim Breen of Bernie's Crew spoke with I-70 baseball Monday night. Here's the link, there's a small box in the center of the page where you can adjust the time within the one-hour blogradio show, pause it, restart it, etc.

Jim comes on board around the 14:00 minute mark, the first ten minutes or so of the interview focuses on the process of Jim gaining and dispersing the news in the manner that he did and a discussion of what the host calls the "new media". After that, Jim and the interviewer shift their focus directly to the players involved in the trade.

Interesting detailed analysis from the Royals' perspective --

Look for the Rany Jazayerli link -- this may be only available for a day or two, so act now, worth your time with the longtime passionate Royals blogger; Buster Olney and an FSN Kansas City rep are also available for a short time via that page

Another well-done KC radio interview --

J.J. Cooper of Baseball America

Jim Breen from Bernie's Crew did a podcast on Baseball Prospectus talking about breaking the Greinke trade. It's pretty cool as he talks about what happened.

Kevin Goldstein and another guy also talk about the ramifications of the deal.

http://www.baseballprospe...icle.php?articleid=12626

58:08 Breaking down the Greinke deal from both a Brewers and Royals perspective

1:15:50 Special Guest Jim Breen from Bernie's Crew on breaking the Zack Greinke story

• Discovering the story
  • Industry reaction before and after the story was confirmed
  • Has this been a life-changing experience?

Had a blast listening to the chat with Jim, the story he tells about getting laid into by the Journal Sentinel staffer who was up against deadline on Saturday night is priceless.

If you're listening at work, just be aware there's some "just guys talking baseball" unfiltered language.

I don't remember from last year or not, but does WTMJ still do those "Talkin' Brewers" shows on Saturdays beginning in mid-to-late January and going all the way up to spring training? I don't remember if they kept doing them once Powell left or not.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I don't remember from last year or not, but does WTMJ still do those "Talkin' Brewers" shows on Saturdays beginning in mid-to-late January and going all the way up to spring training? I don't remember if they kept doing them once Powell left or not.

They no longer do that show once JP left..

That Lucroy interview pumped me up! What a great interview. I could just invision him on Rome and after the interview, Rome would go something like this...
Rack 'em! Wow! Never knew the kid before but you can bet we'll be having him on a bunch more. This kid is Epic!

On the 2011 pitching staff --

Feeling pressure? Or is it pleasing?:

Pleasing, definitely. I think the pressure goes down as the talent goes up. I'm not a big believer in pressure -- I think pressure is perceived. I'll give you an example -- Yovani Gallardo, ok? That guy is so easy to catch, I mean, it's easy, dudes. I know if I call something, and he throws it, there's a pretty good chance he's gonna execute it. I mean, there's a very good chance he's gonna execute it. Very rarely does he elevate a pitch, or miss his spot, or something like that.

Now, I know Zack & Shaun, comin' in, are both gonna be plus-plus guys. I know, from their track record, and from watching video of 'em, that they're plus guys & they've got plus command & stuff. So I'm takin' it like, 'Man, these guys are aces of their respectful, their old staffs they were on,' you know? I'm sure that those guys are gonna be pretty fun to catch. I mean, obviously, a good pitcher's fun to catch, you know. And for me anyway, I love catching Yovani, and I'm pretty sure -- the talent both those guys have, too -- pretty good chance I'm gonna love catching them too, I believe.

He gave a great interview, for sure. Thanks for linking that, Mass Haas.

EDIT: I lose so much weight over the season. If you look at the beginning -- the Spring Training picture -- to the end of the season, I mean, it's pretty ridiculous. My metabolism is just off the charts for some reason. I'm not a big guy, you guys know that; I'm not one of the bigger catchers in the big leagues, so I've gotta work my butt off to gain as much weight as I can, you know, to give myself some leeway -- something to work with during the season, you know? 'Cause I'm gonna burn it off -- I don't know how, man, 'cause I eat so much; I eat my butt off with all the food we get over there. So, it still don't matter -- it's ridiculous. So, for me, I try to gain as much weight as I can [in the offseason].

And, the best...

And for the fans, our fans... I come to the field jacked up, pumped up, ready to rumble. And bring it, 'cause we're gonna need everybody we can get.

I just found my new signature.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

JonLuc, on whether fan enthusiasm is justified:

You know what? I'll tell you one thing right now. We, as players, are gonna come to the field to play, and we're gonna come to the field to win. I can guarantee you that, right now. We're gonna come to the field every day to win. We'll do whatever it takes to win, and we're gonna come, we're gonna work hard, and we're all gonna get better, and do what we can to win. I know that, OK?

Good thing I listened to this at home, because squealing out loud in the library is bad form. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/ohwell.gif Can't we fast forward to April?

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

WTMJ - Brewers Weekly 01/13/11

Dan and Cory talked to Casey McGehee and MLB.com's Adam McCalvy

McGehee is certainly the most-interviewed Brewer of the offseason. His first thought when his wife learned of the Greinke deal via Twitter, was, "am I still a Brewer"? Casey compares himself to Usain Bolt at one point (funny), and provides some nice insights on his defense.

A very sick McCalvy sounded better than he apparently feels. He and Cory wondered about Mitch Stetter among other things, and wondered if Mitch had an option left (he does, as he was never optioned in 2009).

The guys at buckscast have expanded their podcast repertoire to include Brewers podcasts. For those of you who just can't get enough January audio there are two hour-long audio webisodes available --

1/7/11 -- with Chris Crawford from prospectinsider.com

1/19/11 -- with Larry Granillo of hardballtimes.com

Archived