Brewer Fanatic

Overbay To Pirates

Crew2323

I don't know. It's a one year deal for a fairly modest salary. This seems like the kind of deal the Pirates should be making until they're really ready to compete.

Agreed. The guy can not only help the team on the field this year, but hopefully he can teach the young kids some professionalism and his own trade secrets to help them develop as players. For $5 million, it's not a bad deal for either side.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Bad move for the Pirates. Sure, he'll probably be around average for them, but what is the point, especially when they have other options for 1st already? I don't like it when bad teams sign random vets for no reason. Sign somebody good or sign somebody cheap, these half measures never work out.

Bad move for the Pirates. Sure, he'll probably be around average for them, but what is the point, especially when they have other options for 1st already? I don't like it when bad teams sign random vets for no reason. Sign somebody good or sign somebody cheap, these half measures never work out.
Pretty much my point. Find some vet willing to come for near $1m and spend $4m on signing bonuses and you won't hurt yourself this year and be better off in the future. Its not like Overbay is going to bring in any more fans.

Absolutely agree. See the 2011 KC Royals. Melky and Francoeur may just be biding time for their prospects but Rick Ankiel was signed last year as well to be that stopgap. Seems to be a yearly cycle for them.

Well, I like it when the Pirates sign random vets for no reason!

This seems like a lot of cash for Lyle Overbay, especially for the Pirates. Anyways, I wish him all the best, and for him to be the greatest Scrubbie-killer to ever walk this earth.

PNC seems like a good place for Overbay, short rightfield power ally and spacious centerfield and leftfield gaps.

That's a good point; he seems perfectly suited for PNC. Happy for Lyle to find a nice contract, even though it'll be a bit odd seeing him in black & gold.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Find some vet willing to come for near $1m and spend $4m on signing bonuses and you won't hurt yourself this year and be better off in the future.
I don't know how much the Pirates have currently for the ML roster payroll, but maybe they were hinted at from above they had to spend more on the 25 man roster assuming they are getting quite a bit of the Yankee luxury tax. In which case nobody from the media ever looks at draft costs when saying how much teams are spending.

Will this be Lyle's first trip back to the Keg since being traded?
Nope, the Jays made a trip to Miller Park in 2008. I seem to remember a pretty nice/tame welcome back -- a few "OOOOO" cheers and applause. Not much (if any) booing, which was nice, and not always guaranteed depending on the crowd.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

This is a marriage of convenience.

Pittsburgh is probably the only team out there where Overbay could start.

This is a step backwards for Pirates. The have some nice young players coming along in Tabata, McCutchen, Walker and Alvarez, but they spend $5 million on Overbay who likely won't put up any better numbers than would Steve Pearce, who hasn't done much in the majors, but rakes at AAA. Jones at first and Diaz in the OF is also a better option.

They would have been better off spending $5 million on that pitching staff.

From a pitching standpoint, $5 million doesn't get you much. There are mediocre relievers being signed this winter for close to that AAV. Overbay will at least provide good defense at first and will be a decent bat at the 6 or 7 spot. There's a theory out there that the Pirates will take Anthony Rendon first overall in the draft, a third baseman whose bat could get him to the majors as soon as a year after he's drafted. In that scenario, they'd probably move Alvarez over to first base. If that's the plan, it's not a bad one.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

If he gets off to a good start, the Pirates will have a decent trade chip at the deadline. Contenders are usually looking for a left handed pinch hitter with Overbay's skills in July. I compare it to the Brewers signing John Vanderwal. I always expected that he would get moved at the break, but Melvin never traded him.

Archived