Brewer Fanatic

Cliff Lee agrees to deal with Phillies

trwi7

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mlbtraderumors mentions the Yankees missed at 7/$150. unless Philadelphia's offer was just insanely more, it's hard to figure why he'd decline those extra two years.

that's an insanely great rotation. their offense won't even need three outs per inning anymore.

Kind of sucks that the Rangers couldn't keep him but at least the Yankees have struck out on every big name free agent.

Good for Cliff Lee. Taking less money and years to pitch in a place that he likes.

Are you really happier that a team that's more direct competition for the Brewers landed this caliber of pitcher? I understand people hate the Yankees, but let's be honest -- there are a lot of teams that have a significant financial advantage over the Brewers, and Philly is one of them. This is still just a rich getting richer result, but since it isn't the Yankees there's not the negative backlash?

EDIT: Yankees have struck out on every big name free agent.

I don't remember who else they targeted this offseason aside from Lee. I'm pretty sure he was the only one.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Are you really happier that a team that's more direct competition for the Brewers landed this caliber of pitcher? I understand people hate the Yankees, but let's be honest -- there are a lot of teams that have a significant financial advantage over the Brewers, and Philly is one of them. This is still just a rich getting richer result, but since it isn't the Yankees there's not the negative backlash?
I don't think much of this Brewers team right now and with Fielder's impending free agency, I think this is the last year they have to "compete" for a couple of years, so this year was our only chance and I don't think we're even close to good enough.

I think it's great that someone went where he actually wanted to be, rather than taking the biggest deal on the table.

This just in....100 million dollars is an insane amount of money...it's actually ok to make a decision like this!

Thank you. That's exactly right. $100 million sets him, his kids and more than likely a couple of other generations of family up for their entire lives. It's so refreshing to see a player take less money to go to a place he truly enjoyed. You rarely see that and it makes me respect Cliff Lee a ton.

It's great reading the Yankees fan boards. They just can't believe it. Mostly calling it "shady" that he signed with the team that traded him for $50-61 million less. Some even calling for the MLBPA to get involved with him accepting such a lesser offer. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

TooLive...for me, this isn't specifically about the Yankees. I'm glad to see this precedent set, this elite pitcher, who had control of this winter's market, is leaving 50 million dollars on the table to merely be insanely rich, and....happy, in a place he already knows he likes.

I don't know if the Brewers will ever be in a Sabathia-type situation again, but if they are, maybe this opens the door to keeping a guy who was all but gone.

Prince Fielder...if you're out to get the biggest deal possible, no one can fault you for that...but guess what...you're in a unique profession...you don't HAVE TO.

Archived