Brewer Fanatic

Mark Buehrle

I'm not sure if any has mentioned this but Mark Buehrle is being made available by the White Sox. He does not seem like a bad option at this point. Maybe we could work an extension out with him, if we can get a trade worked out. He would be playing close to Chicago, not sure if thats where he resides or not. Just another name to throw in the hat to fix this rotation. I'm not sure what it would take to get him. I have the link below:http://baseball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/22839/20101213/white_sox_will_listen_to_offers_for_buehrle/

He wouldn't be a bad option at all. He had a slightly down season last year, but still managed a 4.28 ERA despite a 1.403 WHIP. He's also a workhorse that you can count on for 30+ starts a season. As the link says, he will make $14 million this season, though. If the Brewers were willing to absorb his entire salary, I imagine it wouldn't take a ton to trade for him. Not really sure what Williams is looking to add to his team at this point, though.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

He'd be a really nice option, especially considering the considerably lower amount we'd have to give up for him relative to someone like Garza. It'd pretty much be as a rent-a-player type thing, which may not be bad in the Brewers eyes if their plan is to start the season with Fielder and see where we end up by the trade deadline.

If we traded McGehee for Buehrle, that's probably not quite enough our way. I'd probably want Vicieno too. I suppose I'd do a year of Buehrle, two comp picks, and Viciedo for McGehee though. Gamel and Viciedo could coneivably man the infield corners for us starting in 2012, with Gamel most likely getting third base in 2011 as well.

ETA: we could probably throw in a spare part to make it a two for two deal. Either a spare reliever or a 10-15 type prospect.

The White Sox aren't shopping Buehrle. No such rumors have been reported here in Chicago. There's no telling when Peavy will pitch again and they simply don't have a replacement. Not to mention that Buehrle is a almost an iconic figure on the south side.

There may be some 2012 FA to be available at the deadline for non contending teams but unless the Sox fall completely flat, I don't expect Buehrle to be one of them.

Archived