Brewer Fanatic

Brewers' Current Payroll

wcswimmer712

I was just wondering if some of you more up-to-date with the Brewers could post a list of our current payroll? Like how much money we have to spend this winter to stay around the 80-85 million we were at last year? Any insight into arbitration raises? (Marcum, etc)

Thanks for any posts regarding this.

I don't have time to post the whole breakdown, but a few days ago I pegged our current obligations to be a bit over $70 million. This could be off $3 million or so either way.

This is not including buyouts paid to Zaun and Suppan or any deferred money owed to Randy Wolf. It does include about $3 million held aside for players called up during the season and relatively liberal arbitration estimates.

I'll take a stab at it. Arbitration estimates are mine, and could easily be very off.

1B Fielder $15M arby

SP Wolf $9.5M

RF Hart $6.5M

LF Braun $4M

RP Hawkins $4M

2B Weeks $5M arby

SP Gallardo $3.25M

OF Gomez $1.5M

SP Marcum $3M

C Nieves $.775M (non guaranteed, but Kottaras would make a similar amount)

RP Loe $1M arby

RP Parra $1M arby

3B McGehee $.5M arby

OF Dickerson $.450M

SP Narveson $.450M

SS Escobar $.410M

CL Axford $.410M

CF Cain $.400M

C Lucroy $.400m

RP Braddock $.400M

This is 4 SP, the starting lineup, the backup C and a 4th OF and that's around $58.5M if I can add right. So still need 1 SP, 2 RP, 2 Utility players. If those slots would be filled with minimum players, payroll would be around $61M.

Here are some other possibilities

SP Capuano $4M

Counsell $2M

If those two were added, payroll with other slots at minimum would be $66m.

I wonder what the salary number will be too. I saw somewhere here that attendance dropped 9% in 2010. I also wonder if attendance will bounce back in 2011 or continue to lag. I'm sure that's going to be a factor in determining what kind of dollars are spent on whom. That being said, is it realistic to expect to sign a $10 million free agent pitcher this off-season? If they do, that pitcher absolutely has to perform. The margin for error has narrowed even further.

+Fielder: $16M (est.)

+Wolf: $9.5M

+Hart: $6.833M

+Braun: $4.287M

+Hawkins: $4.25M

+Weeks: $7M (est.)

+Gallardo: $3.5M

+Gomez: $1.5M (est.)

+Marcum: $5M (est.)

+Nieves: $775K

+Loe: $2M (est.)

+Parra: $1M (est.)

+McGehee/Dickerson/Boggs/Narveson/Escobar/Axford/Braddock/Lucroy/Cruz/Cain/Egan/McClendon/Rogers: $450K avg

+$3M for callups (this number is a little low, usually closer to $5M, IIRC)

=$70,495,000

The salary info came from Cot's, which includes pro-rated signing bonuses. Like I mentioned, I was liberal with arbitration estimates, so the arbitration stuff might be a little high. However, since I don't include buyouts, was conservative with callup expense and didn't include split contract expense, I think it evens out.

And of course, this doesn't include anyone not on the roster.

I would guess they take the buyouts out of the 2011 budget because the buyout is attached to a salary they would have owed had they not bought the contract out. Then again, if they thought it likely they were going to do some or all of the buyouts at the end of the season, they could have built in the padding to the 2010 budget when the contracts were signed.

In any event, $4M is not an insignificant percentage of payroll. And if it comes out of the 2011 budget, they have to assume they are at least pushing $75M in obligations. Not knowing what the budget limit is, I don't know how concerned I am about it. I doubt they have much more than $10-12M to spend.

"SP Capuano $4M, Counsell $2M".

It's already been reported that Counsell's offer is a little over $1 million. I don't see them going any higher.

If Capuano were offered anything near $4 million, he would have signed by now. His offer is more likely a base of $1.5-2 million with incentives that would get him to around $4.

"SP Capuano $4M, Counsell $2M".

It's already been reported that Counsell's offer is a little over $1 million. I don't see them going any higher.

If Capuano were offered anything near $4 million, he would have signed by now. His offer is more likely a base of $1.5-2 million with incentives that would get him to around $4.

I think that a million for Counsell is more than fair. I'm not sure what's taking him so long to make his decision. I'd give him a deadline to decide, and I wouldn't be heartbroken if he didn't return. 'Utility guys' are basically a dime a dozen, and it shouldn't be hard to upgrade one that is 40 years old, and struggles to hit .250 with no power.

As for Cappy, I'd give him $2 million plus incentives, not a dime more. I'd give him more time, but if another pitcher is acquired, I'd reserve the right to pull the offer off the table.

Yeah, I agree with RockCo. I don't know what is taking so long with the Counsell situation. They could probably use someone like Luis Cruz at a much lower price tag if Counsell doesn't re-sign. Maybe Melvin needs to set a hard deadline with Counsell and be done with it.

I would like to see Capuano back because of his versatility and to provide depth, but I agree that they shouldn't overpay for his services.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I would say Counsell is a special case, given his local ties and his role. If he wasn't a "local product" and was more than a utility infielder, I think they would be pressing him a bit more. If he waits awhile longer and ends up not signing, it won't be too hard to get someone else to fill his spot. They could even make the PTBNL for Villanueva his replacement if they really wanted to.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Yeah, I agree with RockCo. I don't know what is taking so long with the Counsell situation. They could probably use someone like Luis Cruz at a much lower price tag if Counsell doesn't re-sign. Maybe Melvin needs to set a hard deadline with Counsell and be done with it.

O my gosh no. Cruz is terrible.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Counsell has a higher OBP and fields better than almost any 2B/SS that does not start, and the fact he can also play 3B and hits LH are also points in his favor. I assume Craig is talking to other teams that are either offering him at least a platoon job, or maybe a perennial contender like the Yankees have him thinking one more ring.

He's a FA, and has probably taken less to play in MIL, he has turned down potential starting jobs the past couple years. He is a FA, so he has the right to play where he wishes.

Updating this, again excluding all $4M of buyouts from last season as well as any deferred money owed to Wolf:

+Fielder: $16M (est.)

+Greinke: $13.5M

+Wolf: $9.5M

+Hart: $6.833M

+Betancourt: $4.375M

+Braun: $4.287M

+Hawkins: $4.25M

+Weeks: $7M (est.)

+Gallardo: $3.5M

+Gomez: $1.5M

+Marcum: $5M (est.)

+Nieves: $775K

+Loe: $2M (est.)

+Parra: $1M (est.)

+McGehee/Dickerson/Boggs/Narveson/Axford/Braddock/Lucroy/Cruz/Egan/McClendon/Gamel: $450K avg

+$3M for callups (this number is a little low, usually closer to $5M, IIRC)

-$2M from Royals (as part of Greinke trade)

-$1M from Mariners (to partially pay Betancourt's salary)

=$84,470,000

We're probably about at the limit, maybe saving room for Cappy/Counsell.

Archived