Brewer Fanatic

Mark Rogers -- Latest: Interview at Portland (Maine) Sea Dogs Banquet

docduany
I've been reading a lot of peoples opinion on Mark Rogers and I'm not sure I agree with them. Is Rogers a 4/5 ? I sure don't see him that way. I'm sure I'm biased with my man crush, but his upside is that of a 1/2. He obviously has a two glowing red flags: Health and Control. I agree that both of those things could stop him in AAA. But I believe if he makes it to Milwaukee that he's managed to stay healthy and has a gotten a better grasp of the strike zone. He works in the mid 90's. Hitters don't make good contact against him. And as was reported on Brewerfan, he wasn't using his curve ball until late in the year per the Brewers request. I guess I just think he has more upside than Jake O who doesn't have the sheer velocity that Rogers does. Is Rogers more likely to flame out than Jake ? Absolutely. Just wondering what others think?

Calling Rogers a 4 or a 5 isn't really accurate - it's just the sum of 2 possible outcomes.

There are 2 likely scenarios for Rogers:
1. He fixes his mechanical issues, repeats his delivery better and gets the walks under control enough to become a #3 or a #2 in the big leagues. How long he pitches in this scenario is an obvious question mark, but at least he would contribute a fair bit of value to the Brewers.
2. He doesn't fix those issues, the walks don't improve, and he becomes a bullpen arm (essentially worth very little to the organization). Or he gets hurt again and has to call it a career.

I doubt he ever gets enough command and enough innings per season to be considered a legitimate #1, but he could be a #2 if everything breaks right.

I think people are higher on him than ever, but that doesn't say much. Rogers is one of my favorite prospects to follow, and I think his future looks bright. He has the upside of a 1/2, but his initial year in MLB will be as a 5. Saying he could be a 4/5 now isn't saying he stinks, but rather that he could be among our top 5 starters, even with minimal AAA experience

I've been reading a lot of peoples opinion on Mark Rogers and I'm not sure I agree with them. Is Rogers a 4/5 ? I sure don't see him that way. I'm sure I'm biased with my man crush, but his upside is that of a 1/2. He obviously has a two glowing red flags: Health and Control. I agree that both of those things could stop him in AAA. But I believe if he makes it to Milwaukee that he's managed to stay healthy and has a gotten a better grasp of the strike zone. He works in the mid 90's. Hitters don't make good contact against him. And as was reported on Brewerfan, he wasn't using his curve ball until late in the year per the Brewers request. I guess I just think he has more upside than Jake O who doesn't have the sheer velocity that Rogers does. Is Rogers more likely to flame out than Jake ? Absolutely. Just wondering what others think?
I can count no less than 10 guys in this system and probably every other who have the POTENTIAL to be legit aces. But as you look around MLB....there's a reason why there are so few aces.

Mark Rogers can be an ace. I can't fathom anyone arguing that based on his pure ability. But, he's missed two full season, has control problems, still has some, some mechanical issues repeating his delivery, his secondary pitchers aren't where they need to be and he's pitched very little relatively speaking to a budding 1/2 type pitcher.

He could be a super 4/5 who has some great games and then goes 3 2/3 with 6 BB's 3 K's and gives up 5 runs, and he could do both fairly often as it stands now.

Jeffress, Odorizzi, Heckahtorn, Peralta, Scarpetta, Arnett(even with his struggles), Hell Parra....and others. We've got lots of "potential aces". I don't have much faith in any of them save for Odorizzi and he'd have to become a pitcher like Gallardo, a questionable ace in somes minds to make it to that status.

So I don't think we're down on him, we just see what he's done and don't see a future ace. That could EASILY change. Hope it does.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

For the question as to why everyone is done on Rogers, I didn't realize that people really were down on him. He can't be counted on to be a starter all season but that has nothing to do with talent and is because he is still increasing innings and would need to start out in the pen first in order to not reach his max before the end of the season, same would go for Jeffress or even Braddock if for some reason they decided to make him a starter again (don't think that would happen)

If Rogers could just throw strikes consistantly I have no doubt Gallardo and him could be that 1 2 punch we hoped for when they were both drafted but without strikes it will turn out to be the Gallardo/ Parra 1 2 punch that let us all down. As he showcased at the end of the season, when he throws strikes and pitches to contact, he is Ace potential, but you never know if he is going to walk 6 in a game or throw strikes, get a good amount of K's and have an insane amount of ground balls. Needs to be consistant, that will make or break his career along with health

I, too, was surprised to see that someone thinks everyone is down on Rogers. After seeing him in September, I'm certainly much more excited about that blistering fastball he has, even if his offspeed pitches need a lot of work. I think he's one of those guys who could be successful with just one pitch, dominant with two.

I guess this thread was in response to people talking about Mark being a 4th/5th starter. To me, it sounded as though some thought he was a 4/5 for life. I totally agree that he may a 5 this season and/or next season. But at some point, God willing, I see him as a potential 1/2. Most of those chiming in on this thread are regulars to the minor league scene. I think some of the less optimistic aren't necessarily the same crowd. I obviously phrased the thread title improperly, it should've read some--not all. My bad.

• 3 weeks later...
I've got to agree. I have not heard anything about people being down on Mark. He looked really-really good in his September starts. I'm excited about his 2011 season. I'd love to see him start the year here in Nashville with maybe a May call up.

I agree. I think it's a good idea to start him in Nashville, and look at him as probably the first option to call up if someone gets hurt (knock on wood).

I do think he could at _least_ be a #3 in the majors if he stays healthy. His stuff is really good, from what I've seen.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I think people tend to forget or don't know that for a while now he has been on a pitch count plus restricted to what he could throw. It was not until his last few starts with the Brewers that the restrictions were removed and he was throwing his really good stuff.

from the clips i've seen he has such a heavy fastball that batters just can't lift up very well. i'll take a correction from people who've seen more of him, but that's the impression i've gotten. he has the command issues that pretty much every young pitcher has, but it seems like if he's one of the rare guys who can figure that out and fix the problem, that the sky's the limit with him. as far as pitchers i'd like to see when i go to the ballpark, Rodgers would be my second-favourite after Marcum.

It's all about improving efficiency for Rogers. His stuff is more than good enough to get out major league hitters. But if he's hitting the 100 pitch mark in the 5th inning, he's not helping. I think if he can show he can go 6 innings in 100 pitches, then at some point, either later this year or more likely next year, he'll be in the rotation.

I wouldn't say if he hits 100 in the fifth he's not helping; but he has potential to help a lot more. Kind of like Gallardo, a slight improvement in efficiency and he'll be a staff ace type pitcher (or would be if we didn't have Greinke).

Now if Rogers is hurt or giving up 5 runs by the 5th then he's not helping.

I've been reading a lot of peoples opinion on Mark Rogers and I'm not sure I agree with them. Is Rogers a 4/5 ? I sure don't see him that way. I'm sure I'm biased with my man crush, but his upside is that of a 1/2.

Sure just because of Rogers fastball, there is possible upside of being a number 1/2 type of starter, but if you asked me to bet a nice chunk of money on whether Rodgers ended up becoming a 1/2 level starter or a 4/5 level assuming he ever reached either status, i'd have to put the money on him becoming a 4/5.

Reason for that being that while here and there we'll see a starter significantly improve his command after spending quite awhile being unable to throw enough strikes, more times than not those guys are the aberration. No matter how tough any starting pitcher is to hit, if he's consistently putting on free baserunners via walks, they'll get burned for doing so, especially in the majors. Those baserunners will come around to often to score and that starter will struggle from either allowing to many runs and/or high pitch counts.

Rogers had very nice BAA against numbers last year as has been common for him and the K/9 numbers were good, but not great. The 72 walks though in only 116 innings was a rate of 5.6 per nine innings, right at his career average and up from his 2009 season. Until he can beat the odds and significantly improve his command/control, he has no chance to become a top of the rotation starter and so far in his injury plagued career, Rogers hasn't shown many signs that a significant improvement in control should be expected. Obviously i hope i'm wrong though in my pessimism.

• 3 weeks later...

From a subscribers-only piece by John Manuel at Baseball America on Mark Rogers:

After the second surgery, though, Rogers returned to training the way he had since he first remembers throwing. He threw, he threw, and then he threw some more.
"I was so fortunate," he said. "My dad was amazing. Whenever I wanted to go throw, he'd always take me down to the high school or college field and we'd throw. He had a strong arm, and some of my uncles played and they all had good arms. They always told me the way to strengthen your arm is by throwing, and it just makes sense."
Rogers also incorporated long-toss into his throwing program, which already had helped him throw 94-96 mph in the summer before his senior season of high school. He stunned scouts in the Northeast when he came out of the gate throwing 98 mph the following March. Three months later, the Brewers drafted him fifth overall, three spots behind Tigers ace Justin Verlander, and ahead of fellow prep pitchers and current big leaguers such as Homer Bailey and Phil Hughes.

Within two years, Rogers had shown flashes of prodigious talent mixed with just two pro victories. He says he was throwing well early in 2006 when his arm began hurting. He still doesn't know exactly when or how his shoulder got hurt, and he won't assign blame. He will admit, rather grudgingly, "I was on a shorter-distance throwing program when I got hurt."

When he came back in 2008, Rogers says the Brewers were more open-minded toward his long-toss program. He credited organization pitching coordinator Lee Tunnell for working with him and helping him through his rehabilitation process, as well as Steve Cline, who helped refine Rogers' mechanics as he worked his way back.

I'm not sure how be uncertain about Mark's future makes someone down on him. He's been in my top 10 since he returned, I ranked him ahead of Braddock..

The difference here is that while I believe in his immense talent, he has work to do with his command and his efficiency on the mound. If he's going to become the pitcher he has the talent to be he needs to quit walking batters and figure out a way to get through the 6th inning in less than 100 pitches.

Lee Tunnell is the man, I'm very happy the Brewers added him to the organization a couple of years ago now, the man can teach pitching/mechanics.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Rogers is healthy for now, but he has a lot to prove

He's been healthy for two years. Obviously his innings have been limited, but I'm not as concerned about him as I used to be.

but can he take on the workload of a starter? Can he have better command?

Rogers has great stuff but he still has some question marks on him. Those questions I mentioned will be crucial in determining whether he's gonna be a starter or a reliever

Rogers has grown up before our eyesBy Steve Solloway, Portland Press Herald

SOUTH PORTLAND -- Mark Rogers paused to smile for cell phone cameras. He scribbled his name on whatever was handed to him. He acknowledged the applause with an even fresher smile when he was introduced Friday night as an invited guest at the Portland Sea Dogs Hot Stove Dinner.

Unintentionally, he reminded his audience what a breath of fresh air should sound like when he spoke. "I'm so blessed to be from Maine. It's such a big world and then you come home and see people who really care about you."

Spend any time with Rogers and you know he wasn't playing to the crowd. He understands the difference between being proper and speaking from the heart.

He turns 25 next week and it's difficult to call him a kid. It's difficult to realize it was seven long years ago when he pitched Mt. Ararat High to the state championship showdown with Deering. Fans stood in long lines to buy tickets and fill Hadlock Field. Sure, Deering pitcher Ryan Reid and his teammates won the game. But Rogers told the 350 or so listening in the Marriott at Sable Oaks ballroom that he won't erase that memory. Like so much else, that loss helped him succeed.

He may be part of the Milwaukee Brewers' starting rotation when the team leaves spring training in Phoenix. He may start the season with Nashville, the Brewers' Triple-A team. He's not expected to be in Tennessee for more than a month or two.

Friday night, he joined new Sea Dogs manager Kevin Boles and outfielder Ryan Kalish, who turned heads when the Red Sox called him up to Boston last summer. Red Sox prospects Will Middlebrooks and Tim Federowicz were also on hand and drew applause.

The center of attention was Rogers, the local guy. His September call-up to the Brewers and future was one reason there were smiles all around Friday night. The other reason? Nearly everyone knows Rogers' back story.

He lost two years from his fledgling career. Two shoulder surgeries robbed him of the ability to pitch a baseball with his usual eye-popping speed and movement.

Two years of wondering if a dream that was about to come true wouldn't happen at all. Rogers fought his fears and won. He blames no one. He asks for no favors. He works for his opportunities, thank you.

Before he walked into the ballroom, we spoke. Rogers was only 21 when he lost his first year. What prepared him for the rehab and uncertainty?

"I worked at the back of the boat. With my father or with others, doing a job that's not always extremely rewarding. I watched my dad day in and day out for long hours hauling traps. He instilled in me that nothing comes easily.

"I thought of him when I was rehabbing. If he could suffer through the bad weather and the hard work of what he did, I could do the same with what I had to do. My dad taught me how to keep things in perspective."

Craig Rogers was the baseball coach at Mt. Ararat when Mark pitched and will be the new coach at Lewiston High School this spring. Always, he has set traps for lobsters in the waters off Orrs Island, as much of his family have done.

Craig Rogers was in Milwaukee with his family in September when Rogers made his first major league start. In the first inning, Mark got himself into trouble, loading the bases. Craig watched closely from his seat. His son struck out three to get out of the inning with no runs scoring.

"I try not to show my emotions, but when I saw Mark pump his fist, I came out of my seat." Yelling and pumping his own fist. And yet, one other game supersedes Rogers' first major league start.

"It was his first game back after (two surgeries and two years off)," said Craig Rogers. It was a Florida State League game at the bottom rung of minor league baseball, played in Daytona. Mark pitched well.

"I knew then he'd be all right," said Craig Rogers. "It was just going to be a matter of time."

Friday night, the lobsterman looked good in a new suit leaving the spotlight to his son. Saturday, they went ice fishing in the Dover-Foxcroft area. The newly-married son then flies to his home in Arizona to continue working out to prepare for the start of spring training next month.

"We were on a hunting trip (this fall) and he can still act like he's 15, 16 years old. He told me he wanted to leave early go home and I said, sure, let's go. No dad, home to Arizona. That's when it hit me. He's a man."

Who's ready to walk through the next door to his career.

HOME AGAIN: Mark Rogers, right, who made his first big league start with the Milwaukee Brewers last season, speaks at the Sea Dogs Hot Stove Dinner on Friday in South Portland.

Portland Press Herald Photo by Gregory Rec

http://media.timesleader.com/images/mark-rogers.jpg

Archived