Brewer Fanatic

Fangraphs review of Brewers Top 10

reillymcshane
Most assessments I see on the Brewer system are incredibly uniformed. It's usually just regurgitated, and unfortunately, not from the good people here at bf.net. This Fangraphs top 10 was better then most, no doubt. Still, how can Kentrail Davis not rate ahead of Hunter Morris? I guess it's just all opinion and projection. I do know that everyone over at the Sickels site think we have a bottom 3-5 system, but imo, they are pretty uniformed about the Brewers prospects. Sickels himself is higher then most on Milwaukee's system, but the regular posters over there remain unimpressed. I just think that in 5 years, we will be pretty happy with the young guys our system produced.

ramssuperbowl99 wrote:

Obviously I'd rather have a dynamite system filled to the brim with minor leaguers, but let's not confuse "bad minor league system" with "unable to develop talent". You couldn't name 5 teams more reliant on their MiLB system the past 4 years than Milwaukee.

Who said unable to develop talent?

No one, but generally when teams have a bad minor league system it's a bad thing - think Houston circa 2008. The Brewers have developed enough talent that it's hard for me to say that us being in the lower 3rd of MiLB systems is horrific.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'm not sure Gennett has a higher ceiling than Morris. Gennett is one small dude.

My logic goes like this:

- Gennett has put up some nice numbers for a 2B. If he can continue that, he would be an above average (or higher) 2B in MLB. But his size makes him more risky that he can make it at all.

- Morris projects to be more of an average 1B. Low Ave, but some power. No real glaring weakness translating to a better chance of making the bigs.

Thus, higher ceiling (i.e. the best projection if all goes well), but more likely to not make it at all.

devils advocate here, but:

- Brewers have no elite position player prospects past single-A

- Brewers have 2 big name pitching prospects above single-A, but both have been in the org a while and have major concerns: Rogers injury, stamina, control.. Jeffress drugs, pitch variety, can't start?

- last 3 #1 picks: Lawrie=traded, Arnett = bust?, Covey=unsigned

yes, the Brewers have quality depth imo, but not many marquee players that havent lost their luster above A-ball

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I do know that everyone over at the Sickels site think we have a bottom 3-5 system, but imo, they are pretty uniformed about the Brewers prospects.

I missed that the first time. But I guess if they all are in agreement that we have a bottom 3-5 system, they are uniform at being uninformed! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Interesting stuff. And to think i still pay for Baseball Weekly,,,,uhh, Sports Weekly that now lists Eric Almonte as the brewer's "up and coming prospect" at 2b. They also try to make a case that Zealous Wheeler will be taking over for Escobar if Escobar doesnt become a better hitter. Im so over Wheeler already. Get it,,,,over zealous.

I agree that overall the Brewers system is down, especially after dealing Lawrie. I'm not sure if I would go as far to say they have one of the 3-5 worst systems in baseball, as the simple fact that they have developed quite a bit of their own talent from within should stand for something.

Jeffress and Rogers (no D' Mass!) are huge wildcards. If their situations were less in flux (and if the Brewers had even a slightly better track record developing pitchers) the system would be considered in a lot better shape. I also contend that if Jeffress and Rogers were members of different organizations their value would be perceived differently. Both guys have touched triple digits and now have a taste for the big-leagues.

And for a team that could have one of the 3-5 worse systems in baseball, their pitching depth is going to look pretty dang good on paper. However the big-league staff shakes out, you could have some collection of Rogers, Jeffress, Rivas, Butler, Hand, Kintzler, McClendon, Stetter, Lamontagne and Fiers at AAA ready to help out. Those aren't exactly household names, but the Brewers seem to be doing a much better job identifying and developing bullpen talent in particular from within (and moving it quickly).

Just below them should be Heckathorn, Scarpetta and Peralta. Throw in Merklinger somewhere in that mix and you have a lot of arms to throw at a problem if things get ugly again in Milwaukee.

When you consider the number of farm hands that have made the leap to the bigs, that we've traded 2 first round picks and have a bust and a non-signee in the last two years in the first round, it seems natural that the system would be down. Hopefully with 2 top 15 picks next year and some comp picks over the next couple years they will do as good of a job as they have in the past and reload.

Archived