Brewer Fanatic

Cubs sign 1B Carlos Pena

ELCABALLO45

Well if Chicago is planning on making a move for Prince after this year, we'd all better hope they don't finish in the bottom half of the standings. This is a good move by them. If Pena has a good year, they can sign him long term or offer him arby knowing he'll likely walk looking for a multi year contract. They can then get some comp picks for him and sign Prince. If he has a bad year, they let him go and make a play on Prince anyway. Seems like a no lose situation.

I know it was just one person's opinion, but I recently read in an article that Pena could be a good pick-up, as his power and plate discipline were still there, and it shouldn't be difficult to increase on the .190's batting average. It will be fun listening to the Cubs fans if he once again bats .190 with huge strikeout numbers, knowing they're paying him $10MM.

HiandTight, your post sent shivers down my spine. I'm stuck in Illinois surrounded by Cubs fans. I really don't want Prince to go there unless it's a 20-year $400MM deal :-)

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

This is a pretty solid deal for the Cubs, unfortunately. 2010 was a down year, but his BABIP was only .222, and it's a one-year "prove it" deal. Defensively, he's not a total butcher, and he's still a very patient hitter at the plate. They'll have plenty of pop in that lineup if Ramirez can get back to being 100% healthy.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Archived