Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign C Wil Nieves to a non-guaranteed $775K deal

trwi7
I guess if you can't hit, can't throw people out, are 32 or older, and are still in the league logic dictates you MUST be able to "call a good game", right?

Those types of guys get a job every season on many different clubs at various times some on very good ones. One would have to think either a lot of clubs have very stupid management or those players have something of value that isn't seen in the stats. The only thing that can be is game calling.

For the record, I love it when Backupcatchers chimes in on the topic of backup catchers...

For the record, I love it when Backupcatchers chimes in on the topic of backup catchers...
Who would know better? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Will any casual fans think, "Nieves...that no-hitter dude is still around? Sweet."

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I think the most important "hidden stat" for catchers is wild pitches and to a lesser extent passed balls. I have no idea if anybody even keeps a wild pitches given up stat for catchers but they should. I also have no idea if Nieves is any good at blocking balls, but after watching LuCroy and Kottaras at times last year, I don't mind some competition in that spot. A team with a poor backstop (literally) has almost no chance of being a good defensive team. Pitchers feel very uncomfortable throwing breaking pitches with guys on base; their strand % goes way down, and they get angry. I think this is what it means when people say "pitchers like throwing to him." They are confident they can let anything loose.

I can't be the only Extra Innings-watcher fan here who initially read about this and first thought of this commercial that MASN constantly aired when the Crew played the Nats:

The content of which, of course, doesn't make me feel any better about this signing. If it's about "competition," why even bother to allocate the league minimum at this juncture?

Archived