Brewer Fanatic

Anyone else thinking we're the "mystery team" offering Lee seven years?

Boras isn't Lee's agent, fwiw

Even if Boras isn't Lee's agent, i'm sure multiple other agents have learned and followed the tactics of Boras. Feed the desperate media for a story with claims of new huge offers for their client and then said media member breaks this socalled big scoop by saying a source told him this when everyone knows it came from the agent who is trying to get teams to raise their bids to the player/agent.

Granted, i'm sure that sometimes the agent is actually telling the truth to the media guy about an offer on the table, but just as often it's likely bogus as we saw with Damon last year for example.

FWIW, i'm not blaming agents for doing this, it's their job to try and get as much money as possible for their clients. Baseball GM's then have the job of trying to decipher when media reports of certain offers being on the table are bogus or legit.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The mystery team is probably just an imaginary team to get the Yankees to pony up a few more million or add some years.

If this is true, I sincerely hope the mystery team is us. But only if we don't win... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

This is good for a laugh. Apparently the Yankee's rotation would be garbage if they cannot sign Cliff Lee.

Poll: Do The Yankees Need Cliff Lee

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [December 10, 2010 at 8:22am CST]

If the Yankees don't sign Cliff Lee, their rotation will seem shallow, especially if Andy Pettitte retires. C.C. Sabathia, Phil Hughes and A.J. Burnett are viable starters, but it's hard to see the Bronx Bombers opening the season with Ivan Nova and Sergio Mitre in the rotation. You can make the argument that the Yankees need Lee, especially since the next-best free agent starter, Carl Pavano, is not the solution to the Yankees' problems after what happened in his first stint in pinstripes.

Zack Greinke may or may not be a fit for the Yankees, but other elite arms are potentially available in trades. The Yankees inquired on Francisco Liriano and Ricky Nolasco is known to be available.

If the Yankees were to pair one of those starters up with Pettitte,

their rotation would look strong and they could spend the money they

would have committed to Lee on other needs.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

I would throw a temper tantrum if the Brewers signed Lee. There's just no chance that both 1) he's worth what he'll get over that duration and 2) the Brewers will have the cash to effectively compete with one guy soaking up that much payroll. I'd have a huge problem with signing any pitcher for that long, and wouldn't even be cool with that average annual value over 5 years unless it's a 27 year-old who never even had a sore muscle.

There's just no chance that both 1) he's worth what he'll get over that duration and 2) the Brewers will have the cash to effectively compete with one guy soaking up that much payroll.

Do you feel that this is something specific to the Brewers? The Giants just won the World Series with about 30% of their payroll tied up in Zito and Rowand and got about 1 Win of value out of them this year.

I don't think Lee would be good value for 7 years either, but I'm not sure why the idea that a team can't compete with x% tied up in payroll has such a firm hold.

SF also lucked out by getting some great play from minimum-wage players. maybe we'll have that for the next two years, but it's a lot to be counting on that we're able to find that for the last five of a Lee contract. but then again maybe it's an equal risk to either sign a big-money contract and risk the person not failing, or mortgaging your future by trading away prospects to get somebody good. same difference, maybe?

Joel Sherman talks about how many people within baseball legitimately believe that a third team is bidding for Cliff Lee. The first two teams he suspects are the Angels and Nationals. Then he says this:

If not the Angels or Nats then who? I have heard a lot of Brewers and

Twins, which makes sense in the baseball sense because both teams seem

like they can be powerhouse contenders if they can upgrade the top of

their rotation. But does it make enough dollars and cents sense to

believe it? I am having trouble there.

Not that I think signing Cliff Lee is even a remote possibility or the wisest decision, but this idea of the Brewers being involved doesn't seem to want to go away.
Follow me on Twitter

I'm guessing they kicked the tires on him, but realized very quickly that he simply isn't obtainable based on the total contract he's looking for. It would be a franchise crippling move to sign him for the kind of money that's being discussed. I think the rumors still connecting the Brewers with Lee are pure speculation. The ongoing negotiations with him have been relatively low key, in that a lot of information isn't coming out.

Some people have said the time to go all out for a starting pitcher was after 2008 with C.C. Sabathia. I'm inclined to agree. In retrospect, maybe matching the Yankees' offer to him would have been the thing to do. The ship has sailed, though.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I'd rather look into AJ Burnett is the Yankees get Lee. As Lee appears that he's going to cost the Yankees much more than they thought, I gotta think they may look to dump Burnett.

Why Burnett? Blanton is younger and probably better than Burnett going forward.

And we've been through this all before, but the Yankees aren't exactly strapped for cash.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

And we've been through this all before, but the Yankees aren't exactly strapped for cash.

I realize they have huge pocket books. Remember when they wanted Cameron but only if we gave them some salary relief though? I think needing to shell out quite a bit more than planned for Lee might make them want to ship Burnett. Not saying they need to, but I am sure it's not their goal to have as high of a payroll as possible. They still will likely want to shed some if they have to pay more to Lee than planned.

Archived