Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Willing To Trade Lorenzo Cain; Braves Among the Interested

my take is Cain's name was floated but Melvin couldn't get what he wanted from the Braves....of course the normal prototcall is for both teams to deny the conversation

why not just counteroffer with the Braves & offer Gomez? ....granted the return will be much smaller but you could still expect to land a pitching prospect

1) Braves are desperate for a CF who can play defense.... the Braves are built around pitching & defense because Turner field has a huge CF area & Gomez' strength is he can go-get-em in CF ....poor defense killed the Braves in the playoffs, including CF, & it's something they're trying to fix

2) the Braves traditionally have a taste for "toolsy" ballplayers ....Gomez certainly falls into that category plus he's still young enuf that another team would think that they could turn him around

3) moving Gomez would be a confidence-builder for Cain.... plus the team still has Dickerson for depth ...plus at some point they're going to have to make room for guys like Gindl & Schafer, maybe as soon as mid-season

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In Melvin's search for pitching he undoubtedly floated Cain out there the same way he floated Lawrie knowing both would have value without creating a huge hole in next year's lineup. But it's just as likely that once he got an established pitcher of Marcum's quality, that he backed off the idea of dealing another young player particularly when all he'd get back were a pitching prospect, of which the Brewers aren't totally without already.

Sounds like he's being talked about in the Matt Garza possible trade.

I don't want to see him traded. Period. No only is he a very good young player, but his replacement is a platoon of Gomez/Dickerson.

I think his replacement could come from a subsequent Fielder deal. I'd begin exploring Fielder straight up for Matt Kemp ASAP or if Gamel is included in a Cain deal, Fielder+ for Kemp/Loney.

According to Mark Bowman the mlb.com reporter for the Braves,

"The Braves and Brewers have continued to attempt to find the matching pieces to swap a young pitcher for an outfielder. But late Wednesday morning, they both seemed reluctant to move the piece the other club was seeking.

There's no doubt that the Braves have interest in Lorenzo Cain, a 24-year-old center fielder from Valdosta, Ga. But they weren't willing to acquire at the expense of losing Mike Minor, the 2009 first-round selection that the Brewers requested in exchange."

Goes on to add,

"The Brewers seem more willing to move Carlos Gomez, a 25-year outfielder who previously played for the Mets and Twins. Likewise, the Braves seem much more interested in moving any of their young pitching prospects not named Minor, Teheran, Delgado and Vizcaino."

http://markbowman.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/12/braves_and_brewers_still_attem.html

I would take about any decent pitching prospect for Gomez, though the Braves don't seem that interested in Gomez at the moment.

Mike Minor Bio

Position: LHP

School: Vanderbilt

Drafted: 7th overall in the 2009 draft by the Atlanta Braves

Scouting Report: Minor is just about average across the board, with no knockout pitch but good enough command and feel to succeed at the college level and probably dominate the low minors. Whether he does well in the majors depends on how his off-speed stuff, which has been inconsistent during his entire college tenure, holds up over time. When he's on, he's a No. 4 starter in the majors who could play up to a No. 3 because he has command and control -- Minor shows four pitches that are all average or better; his best pitch is an above-average changeup with good downward tail, but he can show a solid-to-average curveball with good two-plane break. But when he's off, he's like Jeremy Sowers -- for about a month of his 2009 season, his curveball was ineffective or absent, leaving him as primarily a fastball-changeup guy who throws strikes.

Mike Minor | LHP-SP | Atlanta Braves | DOB: 12-26-87 | 6? 3” | 200 lbs | B/T: R/L | 2009 1st rd. pick 7; from College | ATL #4 ranked prospects according to Baseball America (2010) | MiLB Player Page

Many experts considered the Braves drafting Minor with the seventh overall pick as an “overdraft.” He is hoping to prove them wrong. Poised with four pitches, Minor throws a plus changeup, a 86 to 91 mph fastball, a slider and curve that are “works in progress.” He mixes speeds well with his fastball, which helps him keep hitters guessing. Shows good command, ability to locate his pitches and has good control. His frame suggests he could add two to three MPH. When he “lights” up the radar gun, he is throwing between 92 and 93 MPH, but his pitch becomes flat and wild. Scouts say his changeup is “outstanding,”and it’s, “[his] best offering.” Baseball America calls him a savvy pitcher with middle of the rotation potential and John Sickels says he has a small margin for error.

lcbj68c, can you post a link to where you got that info from?
I googled the text and found the scouting report portion also on this site: http://www.baseballrumormill.com/players/mike-minor/

Probably not where he got it from though, given the extra text in his post.

The only reason I'm telling you about this site is so I can post the single comment made by a reader on that page:

I'm waiting on Mike Minor I beleive he is A good thing for the Atlanta

Braves. He needs to play more I can see he is A great player. I'm from

TEXAS and I know what I see and my wife his really A sports fan. She

came from a family that is sport ornitated. She believes in MIKE MINOR

just like the COWBOYS.

We gotta get him!

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

just like the COWBOYS. We gotta get him!

This is awesome. Thanks. It's like reading one of those Nigerian oil scam emails - where punctuation is optional and normal spelling rules just don't apply.

I would think it was some sort of spam or autofilled post - but it's such a goofy subject, that doesn't make sense. Of course, neither does the post.

just like the COWBOYS.

This is not descriptive of all people from TEXAS. This is A sports fan and his wife how is really A sports fan and is from a family that is sport ornitated. Not everyone in TEXAS is sport ornitated. And wouldn't every baseball player be A better player if they just played more? I'm not from A sport ornitated family and even I know that. And you have to take with A grain of salt that she believes in MIKE MINOR just like the COWBOYS. The COWBOYS are an OK football team.

Nothing new to add here, so sorry to bump this thread up. But now that it looks like we might be signing Pavano, I wanted to say that I really want to add Beachy even more now. I am hoping we could maybe add a better sweetener to Gomez to get Atlanta to give us Beachy. Allow him and Narveson to compete for the number five slot. Let's hope Doug does not call it a day on his starting rotation....I think we can and should add Beachy if Doug works on it tomorrow after the rule five draft.

Well, if we trade Cain, how about we pick up Mike Cameron on the cheap from Boston (with the paying most of the salary).
I'd take Ellsbury over Cain, please, and especially now that Boston's signed Crawford, they may be a little more inclined to save the money of Ellsbury's salary.

Archived