Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Willing To Trade Lorenzo Cain; Braves Among the Interested

If the Braves are the most interested suitor, the two likeliest names are Beachy and Jurrjens. Beachy alone is not enough for the Brewers, and I don't see Melvin interested in a package of Beachy and one of the Braves' younger prospects. That leaves Jurrjens. To get him, I'd imagine the Brewers would need to included something else. What does everyone else think?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You could do worse than a Dickerson/Gomez platoon...

Yup. You could, for example, give Gomez the job by himself like the Brewers did last season.

Warning: may induce vomiting. Please avert eyes from television screen while Gomez is in or around the batter's box.

Looks like Cain is not being dangled out there, from Haudricourt's latest blog entry.

In regards to the Cain rumors, "I hear GM Doug Melvin is upset about those reports and might have an on-the-record comment later at our daily briefing saying there is no truth to it."

Haudricourt goes on to say that it doesn't mean they wouldn't trade Cain, but that it would have to be part of a blockbuster deal. So, it's possible Cain could be traded, but not likely.

Looks like Cain is not being dangled out there, from Haudricourt's latest blog entry.

In regards to the Cain rumors, "I hear GM Doug Melvin is upset about those reports and might have an on-the-record comment later at our daily briefing saying there is no truth to it."

Haudricourt goes on to say that it doesn't mean they wouldn't trade Cain, but that it would have to be part of a blockbuster deal. So, it's possible Cain could be traded, but not likely.

This whole idea that Brewers were shopping Cain never rang true to me. It felt like something coming from some other organization that had interest, but not from the Brewers. Certainly a young talented cheap CF is going to have value in the market. This isn't a revelation. The fact that Melvin dealt Lawrie, certainly showed that he was willing to trade youth for the right pitcher and they have bodies that could play CF. But now that they have Marcum they aren't going to give away Cain who likely is their best option in CF.

I don't want to be rude, but Cain/Odorizzi/Jeffress most likely wouldn't net Greinke, let alone tacking on Gordon.
Gordon doesn't have a whole lot of value, but you're probably right about that. OTOH, Cain/Odorizzi/Jeffress sounds like it would come pretty darn close to netting Greinke, at least to me. They might have to add a Logan Schafer-level prospect too, but not that far off. The Brewers could probably even find a way to do it without trading Odorizzi.

I say that because I think Cain tends to get undervalued a little... with his superior defense, great speed and a bat that's at least competent, he's really valuable. KC would love to have him.

I loved what I saw from Cain last year. He looks like a young Darryl Hamilton to me. I think that he has the makings of a nice 2 slot hitter. I'd prefer to keep him unless a guy like Jurrjens is coming back.

As for Gomez, I didn't like what I saw. He looked like Alex Sanchez to me. I also don't get all the man love for Dickerson, he showed absolutely no power last year and without power, he's just a AAAA player. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see him as one of the final cuts next spring as things stand now.

I'm sorry to keep beating this horse, but I can't believe anyone is still riding it . . . Dickerson last year had 53 PA for the Brewers. He had been hurt, and he was trying to adjust to a bench role on a new team. If he had gone 0 for 53 with 53 strikeouts, we wouldn't know a single thing worth knowing about him that we didn't know before the season.

What we do know about Dickerson is that, even factoring in last year's bad stats, he's put up league average hitting numbers in over 500 PA while getting bounced in and out of the lineup, and he plays CF and runs well. A 29 year-old with that profile has value. He's exactly the kind of guy you want to have around in case you want to trade your stud CF prospect for Zack Greinke. Beyond that, he's a fourth OF, and what more do you want from a fourth OF? He has been a borderline starter when healthy, and that works for me.

As for Gomez, he has built up an impressive record of failure in the major leagues. I don't have a database at hand, but I wouldn't think too many guys with an OPS+ of 72 in their first 1400 MLB PA have ever amounted to anything. (It would probably be easy enough to check, because how many hitters that bad even stick around that long?) You're right that Gomez and Cain are very close in age, and that may be important, but Gomez in his life has never shown a hint of what Cain showed last year at the MLB level, albeit in 158 PA.

Gomez is projected almost identically to Cain for '11, and is almost the same age. Cain more valuable because he's cheaper, but that's about it.

You keep saying this and it's still not true.

Cain is projected to hit .279/.345/.379/.724 with a wOBA of .331

Gomez is projected to hit .258/.311/.363/.674 with a wOBA of .301

That's a pretty significant difference.

Gomez is projected almost identically to Cain for '11, and is almost the same age. Cain more valuable because he's cheaper, but that's about it.
http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/1379/garycoleman.gif

Archived