Brewer Fanatic

Brewers acquire Shaun Marcum for Brett Lawrie 1 for 1; 3/24/12 -- Jayson Stark article

crewcrazy
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Well, did not see this one coming.

No matter, Marcum is a good pitcher. We need them. It sucks to give up Lawrie, but what's done is done so I'm not going to worry about it. I say sign Weeks, and find another starter. For some reason I think we are going to end up with Pavano for 3/$30 million. Do not know why, I just think it.

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lawrie seems to be a lot for Marcum, on the other hand fans in Toronto seem to think it's not enough. It appears Jon Heyman thinks giving up Lawrie would be too much. From his Twitter account,

"the price of No. 3 starter is very high if a team has to give up its No. 1 prospect (lawrie) for one (marcum). somewhere, pavano is smiling"

http://twitter.com/SI_Jon...status/11633938548133888

The Brewers probably gave up a bit much, but might just be the going rate.

First off, I don't really like having to give up Lawrie. Secondly, I'm concerned about his age and TJ surgery although I've tried to take a step back and evaluate this deal a little.

Realistically how many years does Marcum have left at a prime level if he's 29 or almost there? Not to mention he's 2 years removed from TJ. Oh, and his delivery scares the hell out of me already.

There's no question though that Melvin is trying to improve the staff, I just see this as very risky.

Realistically how many years does Marcum have left at a prime level if he's 29 or almost there?
It's probably a lot more than if he relied on a fastball in the mid to high 90s, which a few here seem to overvalue a little.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
"the price of No. 3 starter is very high if a team has to give up its No. 1 prospect (lawrie) for one (marcum). somewhere, pavano is smiling"

Well there's the Brewers' #1 prospect and then there's guys like Mike Stanton. Stanton is on an entirely different plane prospect wise than Lawrie.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Rosenthal tweeting "One reason #Brewers willing to give up top prospect Lawrie for 2 yrs of Marcum: They think they have chance to sign Marcum long-term. #BlueJays were talking to Marcum about 3-yr deal. Marcum, from KC, said to be excited to return to Midwest"

Well there's the Brewers' #1 prospect and then there's guys like Mike Stanton. Stanton is on an entirely different plane prospect wise than Lawrie.

Also, Marcum is better that a #3 starter.

I like this trade if the Brewers are able to extend both Weeks and Marcum. Let Fielder hit FA for 2 draft picks and move Gamel to 1st.

Yo, Marcum, Wolf, ______, and Narveson may just be good enough to contend in the central with a plus offense and bullpen.

I would prefer a low money deal going to Kevin Correia

Without seeing how the rest of the offseason goes I can't say whether or not I like the deal. I will say I am excited about getting a nice young pitcher. I just don't want this to be the move of the offseason.

I am more than a bit curious about this move from the Jays perspective. I wonder if Lawrie might be fast tracked for a corner OF job replacing Snider who could be heading in out in another Mega-Deal for Toronto.

One positive is i'm relieved to hear that the Brewers didn't add another decent prospect in the deal as i feared when the first reports were prospects traded for Marcum.

Time will tell if Lawrie becomes a very good major league player that we'll regret trading, but he doesn't strike me as some near can't miss prospect.

I like this trade if the Brewers are able to extend both Weeks and Marcum

That seems like it will make or break this deal along with what we can get for Fielder. If our next move is to flip Fielder for a top bat that can play 3B or a corner OF spot this deal looks pretty good. If we extend Weeks then Lawrie being traded isn't much of a loss. If Marcum can be extended this deal looks ok. If all 3 of those things happen this is possibly a fantastic deal. If Weeks and Fielder leave after his year and Marcum isn't extended this deal looks like complete crap.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I'm very happy with this trade. I think the Blue Jays got fleeced. Their #1 pitcher for an unproven prospect with serious defensive problems? Thank you Mr Melvin...

Marcum's ERA & WHIP in '10 & '08 (he missed '09) were superior to Gallardo's ERA & WHIP in '10 & '09 and Marcum was pitching in much much tougher division... (Gallardo did have a better K/9 in both years)

While I think Yovanni has a higher ceiling, Marcum just might be our ace in 2011. The Brewers got much better today

I like this trade if the Brewers are able to extend both Weeks and Marcum

That seems like it will make or break this deal along with what we can get for Fielder. If our next move is to flip Fielder for a top bat that can play 3B or a corner OF spot this deal looks pretty good. If we extend Weeks then Lawrie being traded isn't much of a loss. If Marcum can be extended this deal looks ok. If all 3 of those things happen this is possibly a fantastic deal. If Weeks and Fielder leave after his year and Marcum isn't extended this deal looks like complete crap.

I don't see Melvin now refusing to take calls about Fielder, but i do think this trade increases the chances that Prince will remain a Brewer until at least the trade deadline unless Doug gets some offer he feels that he just can't refuse over the ext few months.

Marcum had a sub 3 ERA versus everyone except the Big 3 in the AL East. He's a fine pitcher.

I too hate giving up Lawrie. Many are questioning his attitude, but I do not care if he's a boy scout or not. Cal Ripken Jr. was a jerk of mammoth proportions, insisted on playing SS years after he should not have, and is still one of the best offensive SS's ever.

However, will a rotation with Marcum in it be just good enough to stay in contention in the division up until the trade deadline? Would Melvin then have the PR nightmare of not being able to trade Fielder and admitting that they are not trying to win the division?

Also, I would assume that Marcum would be a class "A" free agent in a couple of years, so at worst, they could let him walk and get back somebody in the draft at the level of a Lawrie.

However, will a rotation with Marcum in it be just good enough to stay in contention in the division up until the trade deadline? Would Melvin then have the PR nightmare of not being able to trade Fielder and admitting that they are not trying to win the division?

Also, I would assume that Marcum would be a class "A" free agent in a couple of years, so at worst, they could let him walk and get back somebody in the draft at the level of a Lawrie.

I wouldn't assume at all that at worst the Brewers could get extra picks for Marcum and use those picks to get someone as good as Lawrie. Odds are much higher that even if we got a pick or two for Marcum , any first round pick would turn out to either be a bust or fringe prospect.

I wouldn't assume at all that at worst the Brewers could get extra picks for Marcum and use those picks to get someone as good as Lawrie. Odds are much higher that even if we got a pick or two for Marcum , any first round pick would turn out to either be a bust or fringe prospect.

Dont let the ghosts of Tyrone Hill,Kenny Felder, Gabby Martinez, Kelly Wunsch, Todd Dunn, Joe Wagner, Antoine Williamson, Kyle Peterson, J.M. Gold, Dave Kyrnzel, and Mike Jones haunt you. That is just the Brewer fan in you screaming a warning. They gotta have better luck drafting now, especially pitchers....right??

Just a thought.. worst case, If Marcum has as good of a season as he had in '10 with the Jays in '11 for the Brewers, they could always flip him next year for a prospect/Prospects with comparable value as Lawrie if they can't sign him to an extension. Assuming some of our pitching prospects develop and are ready to contribute in '12. Alot of assumptions, I'll concede

Archived