Brewer Fanatic

Brewers acquire Shaun Marcum for Brett Lawrie 1 for 1; 3/24/12 -- Jayson Stark article

crewcrazy

I agree with this. However, they could always approach Marcum about an extension. Now would be the time - buy out the last two arby years and add a couple. Brewers get some cost control, Marcum would still be a FA in his early 30s, which would enable him to get an additional big contract from someone else for his mid-late 30s (assuming health).

Who is his agent? Lets hope it's not Boras.

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys are nuts. We wanted to improve our pitching and we did. Quite a bit IMHO. In the NL, Marcum is a solid #2 pitcher. There is no way one hitting prospect goes for a legit #1. EVER.

Close to 200 innings, a low 3 ERA, and very few walks. What is there not to like there?

Remember, two years ago, Escobar and LaPorta were our top prospects. We should've traded both of them.

Any chance an extension with Marcum is on the way? It would make losing Lawrie sting a lot less. Regardless, I really like the move if it is Lawrie for Marcum because the Brewers need pitching, and I don't think the Brewers would trade Lawrie if they didn't think they could extend Weeks.
"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

I really don't get what any of this has to do with Weeks - nobody even knows if Lawrie is going to stick at 2b and even if he does, it's highly unlikely that he will be MLB ready next season (when Weeks would leave as a FA).

Yeah, I think the main problem I have with it is that Marcum is only under control for two more years.

I agree with this. However, they could always approach Marcum about an extension. Now would be the time - buy out the last two arby years and add a couple. Brewers get some cost control, Marcum would still be a FA in his early 30s, which would enable him to get an additional big contract from someone else for his mid-late 30s (assuming health).

Yeah, I'm surprised that so many are resigned to the fact that Marcum would only be pitching here for 2 years. A guy who has had TJ surgery and has never earned more than $1M in a season would be very open to the idea of an extension, I'd imagine.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
If he gets guys out, I couldn't care less how hard he throws.

I'm going to withhold judgment until we see what the Brewers gave up. Another rumor out there is that Cain is involved. That would suck.

Actually, I'm going to wait and see what Keith Law thinks before passing judgment. If he hates it for Milwaukee, then I'll be ecstatic.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

If Lawrie is Braun - we gave up to much.

If Lawrie is Laporta - we made a good trade.

Lawrie posted good numbers, but as other have mentioned, since he likely wouldn't play a premium position, his top value was limited. Are we really losing a 25 HR corner first base man?

Don't forget, Lawrie had several disciplinary problems in the minor leagues. He is a very poor defender. And no one has ever accused him of being a good teammate. I would say his chances of every being an all-star at 25% at best.

I hope a Weeks extension is soon.

On a blue jays forum, some of the guys were saying that they would be sick if it was anything but lawrie, gamel and a pitcher...

No one wants to give guys up, but you have to give in order to get..

GMs have a lot better idea of value than any of us and I am sure Melvin took everything into account. We got a high end pitcher that we desperately needed, I am feeling pretty good.

I wish they hadn't had to trade Lawrie, but I think a lot of you are undervaluing Marcum...this guy can pitch.

As others have said, I would love to see an extension for Marcum, and for Weeks.

Now, I have to wonder if the Brewers won't just keep Prince and take a shot at 2011. If there isn't a good deal out there for Prince...why not?

Gallardo, Marcum and Wolf isn't bad folks.

Heard a rumor its Lawrie, Gamel, and Bucci
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I really don't get what any of this has to do with Weeks - nobody even knows if Lawrie is going to stick at 2b and even if he does, it's highly unlikely that he will be MLB ready next season (when Weeks would leave as a FA).
We know all that. Lawrie has a good enough bat and the athleticism to play 1B, 3B, RF, or LF if he can't stick at 2B. Lawrie is probably slated for AAA in 2011 so being in the majors by June wouldn't be a stretch at all. Weeks doesn't leave until after 2011 if he isn't extended and Lawrie will almost certainly be MLB ready by spring training 2012.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I can only hope that if Melvin was willing to deal Lawrie, he knows he can re-sign Rickie Weeks.
This is a silver lining I want to believe. Good point.

Close to 200 innings, a low 3 ERA, and very few walks. What is there not to like there?
What's not to like? The fact that Marcum has been a legit #2 guy for all of one season, and doesn't throw hard enough to give himself any room for error.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Now its just Lawrie for Marcum straight up.....ok, I'm done until this gets sorted out.

From rotohardball.com comes a well done report that desvribes Marcum's change as bar far the most effective in baseball.......

Let's look at just how good Marcum's 2010 season was. Here's his roto line: 13 W, 3.64 ERA, 165 K, 1.15 WHIP, 0 SV. Looking deeper, he pitched the most innings of his career (195.1) and had the highest K/9 (7.60) and lowest BB/9 (1.98) of his career which resulted in the 6th best K/BB% in the majors.

Marcum's career whip is only 1.24 thanks to his consistent ability to limit walks and maintain a low batting average against (.247 career and in 2010). He's probably always going to give up 20+ homers a season in the homer-friendly Rogers Centre though many are solo shots thanks to this ability to limit baserunners. Both his career BABIP (.280) and LOB% (77.4%) are above average and if he can improve even more with his K/9 and BB/9 those numbers may only get better.

Looking at BIS pitch/fx data via Fangraphs, Marcum abandoned his slider completely, throwing more fastballs and cutters to set up his devastating change-up. His change-up resulted in a swinging strike a whopping 28.1% of the time, resting at about 80-81 mph, or about 6 mph slower than his 86-87 mph fastball. According to Fangraphs, his change ranked top in the league in wCH at about 26 runs above average. That's over 5 points higher than the second best, Felix Hernandez's 18.7.

The improvements Shaun Marcum made in 2010 after missing over a year, coupled with his dominance in the first half of 2008 make me a serious believer that lands him within top 25 SP territory for me. Some may be weary, and some may even take fellow pitching standouts Ricky Romero and Brandon Morrow first, especially in keeper leagues. Toronto has a wealth of useful pitching and Marcum does have two years left of arbitration which increases his trade value. If Toronto does resign him, he should be considered their ace. The question remains: Will he be drafted like it?

Archived