Brewer Fanatic

Brewers acquire Shaun Marcum for Brett Lawrie 1 for 1; 3/24/12 -- Jayson Stark article

crewcrazy
  • Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Audio interview with Shaun Marcum on Toronto sports radio Wed. AM.

He was at the Broncos - Chiefs game when notified of the deal. He'll be in Milwaukee on his birthday next week, along with his family.

Interview a lovefest between Marcum and the city via the radio hosts...

Also --

Ron Roenicke interview via WSSP as part of their Hot Stove Weekly show Tuesday 12/6

Toronto's GM discusses Brett Lawrie in detail in this additional audio interview.

Adding to the audio available from this thread -- Brett Lawrie talks to Toronto Sports Radio

(Yes, he discusses the MillerParkDrunk photos, improperly credited to Deadspin; also dances around the Arizona Fall League decline...)

More audio, this from press conference day:

Shaun Marcum on ESPN Milwaukee (thanks Drew, for being at least a bit enthusiastic and informed)

and WSSP (Marcum is hardly a scintillating speaker, but it's not all his fault on this one)

Trenni, we miss you. Come back!

Thanks for linking, Mass Haas.

Interesting to me to hear that Marcum knows Justin James (came up in the TOR org. together), but that's the only guy he knows that's currently in the Brewers' org.

EDIT: Via McCalvy's blog:

http://brewersbeat.mlblogs.com/assets_c/2010/12/Marcum04%20copy-thumb-550x491-2562091.jpg

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Yeah, she hasn't been with MLB Network for a while and is on the D-List quite a bit. Her and Jen Lada (another hottie) do a podcast on 540 every week.

http://www.stationcaster....d.php?s=71&c=720&f=64884

I too noticed I have not seen her on MLB Network in forever. Did she get let go? Or did she quit?

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I'd assign about the same level of "no-offense" to Telly "Thanks So Much!" Hughes.

Come back, Trenni! Your only year directly covering the Brewers was their playoff-eligible year. Like Teatoe993, I believe this is no coincidence; although I wouldn't go so far as to bring back the likes of Guillermo Mota. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

It is no coincidence that the Brewers have tanked ever since she left. She was the glue that held it all together. Just sayin'.
No offense to Craig Coshun, but I'm sure many would love to see her back as the "roving reporter."

I thought it was Telly Hughes that replaced Trenni

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• 1 year later...
Interesting....there is usually more to the story. Lawrie has seemed to have a confidence and swagger about him, like Braun, however, it seems that in Braun's time in the minors and to the majors, he handled things with humility and didn't fight the organization...at least as far as we know. I have Lawrie on my fantasy team, so I'm hoping he does well.

Why are people like Jayson Stark glorifying this kid? It seems pretty obvious that we will be reading a "Why Brett Lawrie needs a fresh start" article within 2-3 years. From John Farrell's comments, it just seems they completely took the reigns off him. That is not what this kid needs. He needs to stop being a douche nozzle. Sounds like the Jays are letting the inmates run the asylum over there. The better hope they do not start 15-25 or 20-30, because the Jays have the sound of a team very capable of self-imploding.

Regarding his comments about the Brewers, the fact that Lawrie just completely disregarded and disrespected the Brewers' suggestions for Fall League, the same Brewers who are run by Canadian Baseball HoF'er Doug Melvin, is just super immature. And that incident seemed as if it was the last in a line of many. I for one am glad this loose cannon is not on our team. It is just one of those situations where I would rather root for the better person, not the better player.

Why are people like Jayson Stark glorifying this kid? It seems pretty obvious that we will be reading a "Why Brett Lawrie needs a fresh start" article within 2-3 years. From John Farrell's comments, it just seems they completely took the reigns off him. That is not what this kid needs. He needs to stop being a douche nozzle. Sounds like the Jays are letting the inmates run the asylum over there. The better hope they do not start 15-25 or 20-30, because the Jays have the sound of a team very capable of self-imploding.

Regarding his comments about the Brewers, the fact that Lawrie just completely disregarded and disrespected the Brewers' suggestions for Fall League, the same Brewers who are run by Canadian Baseball HoF'er Doug Melvin, is just super immature. And that incident seemed as if it was the last in a line of many. I for one am glad this loose cannon is not on our team. It is just one of those situations where I would rather root for the better person, not the better player.

Great points. The more I was thinking about it, a really good comparison is to good ol' GS. How many teams did Sheff end up playing for? The answer? 8. Longest time with a team? 5 years each with the Dodgers and Marlins. No doubt Sheff was talented, but his attitude and demeanor was tough to swallow. I have a feeling Lawrie may be the same way.

A few things that stuck out in that article.

1. He was 19 or 20 years old and telling the GM how to do his job.

2. Lawrie seemed more concerned about fast tracking his way to the big leagues than earning it the hard way. Normally I'm ok with players that are motivated but his refusal to play in the AFL in return for a invitation for a big league camp at 19 was very troubling.

3. Toronto is enjoying his attitude and "being himself" now, but letting the inmates run the asylum tends to not turn out well (see 2011 Boston Red Sox) .

Lawrie seems to have much more swagger than Braun without Braun's PR skills or ability to keep his mouth shut at the right times. Think of 2 seasons ago when Braun stated to the press that Melvin and the ownership needed to make personnel moves and then Doug basically had to put him in his place. Well Toronto basically has a more cocky Braun that they won't be able to control because they don't want to "change him". Now add in the fact that Toronto has to play in the same division with Boston and NY, the odds that they will be competing for a playoff spot every year isn't very good. An outspoken guy on a team that will have a tough time competing every year is a recipe for a disaster. I think Gary Sheffield is a great comparison. Time will tell but sometimes the talent isn't worth the trouble that comes with it and it seems like Lawrie might fit this mold.

No doubt the kid is talented but he comes across as a cocky, immature punk in that article. We will miss his talent but not his personality. I like swagger but not disrespect and that is what I had read about him before the trade and again now. I think his career will be tough to watch because he will be very good, but I will be interested to see how he handles adversity going forward

Look, he was a kid in the Brewer system. Was he full of himself? Sure he was. But we all know that there is a very fine line between cockiness and confidence.

The deal that Melvin made was a bad one in retrospect. Lawrie was a lot to give up for Marcum. In Melvin's defense he hadn't secured Greinke at that point and the Brewers were desperate to improve their rotation and Marcum was an improvement. But I still think how much better off they would have been to sign Brandon McCarthy (who I liked a lot) for peanuts, then deal for Greinke, and now have Lawrie at 3B and not have to go out and overpay for Aramis Ramirez.

I think it's pretty funny that people are trying to convince themselves that it's good that Lawrie isn't a Brewer because he's cocky. No, we definitely would not want his ability to mash in the middle of the lineup. Not with that mouth. No sir.

And I was and am fine with the Marcum trade, btw.

Archived