Brewer Fanatic

Brewers acquire Shaun Marcum for Brett Lawrie 1 for 1; 3/24/12 -- Jayson Stark article

crewcrazy

Can't they have amended the Villy trade? Villy and one prospect for Marcum?

At this point I'd consider the weak market and try to push for Cappy to be the #4 and Bush to be the swingman (like the Wakefield role).

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator

I'm sure one of our top pitching prospects is getting sent over. A pitcher with 3 years of major league experience with a sub-4 ERA does not come cheap, especially coming from the AL East. I really hope it isn't Rogers or Jeffress.

If we are working with the Blue Jays, you also have to wonder:

1) Is Toronto is going to turn around and trade their return to Kansas City?

and/or

2) Has Prince Fielder's name also come up in discussions?

Marcum is a good pitcher. He's no ace, but he's no back of the rotation starter either, and he have him under control for a couple of years.

Guys like him do not come cheap, however. I'd be surprised and thrilled if Doug was able to get him without giving up Jeffress, Rogers, or Odorizzi.

He's no ace, but he's no back of the rotation starter either.

He fits nicely to the 2/3 slot that the Brewers had to fill behind Yo.

Put me down as much more interested in giving up Jeffress than Lawrie. A Weeks extension might change my opinion on that, though.

We've all been talking about how pitching is at a premium, and we all know how difficult it is to acquire. Most don't think even Prince Fielder will fetch as much as he should. As already noted, the Brewers are sending something big to Toronto to acquire Marcum. I would be surprised if it were Lawrie, but you have to figure one of Jeffress or Rodgers is included. Hopefully not Odorizzi, who I would only part with if Greinke is being discussed.

Good point obsessedwithbrewcrew about the Blue Jays possibly trading what they receive in return to the Royals.

This is great news! It finally feels like Yo is getting some support in the rotation.

Marcum's got an injury past and he's under contract for only 2 more years, so I think Lawrie is a bit much to give up. I think Gamel or Braddock is a little more reasonable.

Hadricourt "A source in Toronto just confirmed to me that Blue Jays like Lawrie, so the Brewers might have had to surrender him to get Marcum"
Is there a team that doesn't like Lawrie? Don't think I could name one. Marcum's solid, but Lawrie would be a vast overpay in my opinion.

Sounds like Lawrie and another lower-tier prospect. Brewers are definitely overpaying, but that's what most teams do for pitching.

Now the idiot casual fans can stop whining about how Melvin does nothing to improve pitching and can start whining about how he traded away the future of the team (even though they've never seen any of the prospects or Marcum play).

So looking this over.

1. Giving up our best prospect

2. Already had Tommy John surgery and is 29 with only two more years of control.

3. Has an average fastball under 88 mph in his career.

Safe to say I hate this deal.

Archived