Brewer Fanatic

Jayson Werth signs with Nationals; 7 years, $126 million

trwi7

I'm not too surprised that the Nationals get involved, but I am surprised by the years and dollars involved. The great thing about the offseason is that all teams may think they have a chance to compete.

What is a little surprising to me is that with Werth's acquisition they will be looking to move Josh Willingham, who is somewhat of a poor man's version of Werth (and similar to Hart). I think I read that they may have moved Willingham anyway, largely due to money IIRC.

That's pretty brutal. I hardly noticed this with the Marcum trade going on (which hasn't been mentioned on SC yet, of course). What could possibly be going through a GM's head when he thinks "Hey, I should sign Jayson Werth to a 7year/$126MM deal"!

Maybe it wasn't possible for the Nats to sign Werth for any less then this absurd contract. That's all I can come up with. Does anyone outside of the Nats front office think this is a smart move? It will be really interesting to see how the rest of the FA contracts fall into place after this.

Maybe it wasn't possible for the Nats to sign Werth for any less then this absurd contract. That's all I can come up with. Does anyone outside of the Nats front office think this is a smart move? It will be really interesting to see how the rest of the FA contracts fall into place after this.
Unfortunately I think it's bigger than the rest of the FA contracts this years. It will play into arby cases and future FA signings too. The players union has to be ecstatic.
"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

It's just a bad way to start the winter meetings off in my opinion.

Is DC a worse FA destination than Milwaukee that they have to shell out this kind of a contract? And I don't buy that they need a face to the franchise. Zimmerman and Strasburg are perfect for that, plus I hear Werth is a grade A jerk. It does make me a little happier about the guys we do have signed to extensions.

Ken Rosenthal posted the Werth contract breakdown. The $4M bonus is to be paid between Jan. '11 & Jan. '12.

'11: $10M

'12: $13M

'13: $16M

'14: $20M

'15: $21M

'16: $21M

'17: $21M

I have a hard time understanding why a team would want to be paying Werth $20M+ AAV for his age 35-38 seasons. I guess it's based on the economy rebounding, but yikes. If Werth is *ahem* worth (sorry) $20M when he's at that age, I guess good for the Nats.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived