Brewer Fanatic

Jayson Werth signs with Nationals; 7 years, $126 million

trwi7

This is basically the Alfonso Soriano contract, minus a year. If the Nationals are lucky, Werth may still be a decent player when Strasburgh and Harper on the team. Chances are that he will be a nice player on a team that isn't competing for a couple of years, maybe the Nationals put together a competing team for a couple of years, and then the Nationals can only hope that the back end of this contract works out better than Soriano, Carlos Lee, or Helton.

Boston is going to offer Crawford 10 years and $640 million dollars now.

This cracked me up.

I really don't know what to say about this deal, but maybe Washington would actually be a viable landing spot for Fielder now? This seems like an absolutely horrible contract from Washington.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Boston is going to offer Crawford 10 years and $640 million dollars now.

This cracked me up.

I really don't know what to say about this deal, but maybe Washington would actually be a viable landing spot for Fielder now? This seems like an absolutely horrible contract from Washington.

They did offer Teixeira a mega-deal 2 years ago, so obviously the Nats aren't afraid of spending money. And without Dunn, they have a big hole at 1B.

I'd want Jordan Zimmerman, but I doubt they would offer him.

AG reportedly wanted 8 years and Boston was offering 6. There was also speculation that the Red Sox may have wanted to agree to a deal in principle, but not sign it until after the 2011 season started so that it wouldn't be included in luxury tax calculations for 2011.

AG should be asking for the Teixeira deal and the Red Sox were probably hoping that he would take a Halladay type of extension.

all i can say wow and where have the Nats come up with all that cash?
The Nats are not a small market club. I wish people would stop lumping both the Orioles and the Nationals in the small market group. Neither of these clubs are small market clubs. Both the Nationals and the Orioles offered contracts to Teixeira for close to what the Yankees offered Teixeira. So this shouldn't be a surprise that they gave Werth this the only surprise here is that they spent their money a year earlier. The Nationals probably should have waited until next off season when they could have landed Fielder or Gonzalez.

Corey Hart could be a very valuable trade chip now. I can't believe the Nationals gave Werth this big of a contract!
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Congratulations to Mr Werth, and his family...what else can you say?

I hope Nats fans have some fun with this, but in the end, just like Alfonso Soriano and Carlos Lee, this will go down as a horrible contract.]

Mr Boras will never have many fans in this part of the world....but he's very good at what he does.

this signing takes me by surprise, as it has others. The money isn't the issue, obviously, but the years. I'm stunned.

As splitter said, good for him and his family that they will be able to live comfortably for several generations. Based on what I've read about the guy, he deserves it. Let's hope he can do some good with that money as well.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Archived