Brewer Fanatic

Red Sox have agreed to deal in principle to acquire Adrian Gonzalez

mrbergmann

If you're going to criticize Melvin for one thing in regards to trading Fielder, it should be about limiting possible returns by only talking about pitching.

crewcrazy, you may be right. Melvin might want to expand his horizons. Getting one or two highly touted position prospects for Fielder wouldn't be bad at all. You could then flip one of them or someone like Lawrie for starting pitching. Just another way to have more options.

(fixed code --1992)

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Hopefully this takes one more team off the list of Prince suitors. Where is he going to go for the huge money? I can only think of a handful of teams that have the need/money to get this done.

By the way, judging from his stuff, Daniel Hudson will not sustain any long term success anywhere close to what he did for his last dozen or so starts last year. Wait until he's been through the league a few times. I always snicker when I see people criticizing the Brewers for not making that trade. Personally, I would have been at Miller Park with a burning pitchfork if they would have traded Prince for Hudson straight up.

Here's my thoughts. The Red Sox have acquired their big piece, and perhaps could get Crawford or Werth. That will probably push the Yankees to pony up as much money as possible for Lee. All those things could push the Blue Jays to make a big splash to keep in the race. They need a 1B/DH, and have a surplus of pitching. I think A-Gon and Dunn being off the market increases Prince's value, and I think the Blue Jays would be looking to land him.

RockCo: I feel the same about Hudson, to a point. He's definitely not going to be an ace-like pitcher like he was with the D-Backs. He could still be a good #3 type, which would still be valuable to the Brewers.

Sage: I really could see the Blue Jays jumping in, in order to stay competitive, as you suggest. They could afford Fielder and possibly re-sign him after next season. Also, they probably have enough prospects to swing a deal without destroying their rotation or core group.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

This is precisely why many of us thought Doug's thinking of "You can get more for position players in the offseason, there are more suitors" was wrong. A lot more supply as well, Doug.

I'll gladly eat my hat if we wind up trading Prince for a similar package, or somehow sign him for a smallish extension 2 yr 30 m (I know, quite the longshot).

As for Greinke, he's not going to NY. He'll block any trade there, so we don't have to worry about that.

I'm wondering if Cliff Lee will go to the Yanks, get a offer and bring it back to Tex and just sign there after the incident with his wife. Pure speculation, but I think Nolan Ryan is gonna try to keep him at all costs. Dude has a massive ego.

I believe Greinke just waived his no-trade to New York, so it doesn't look like he will block a trade there.
Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

How about Prince to the Natinals since they fancy themselves a mini Yankees franchise all of a sudden?

Not sure about the offer as this might be too much but maybe something like

Prince for Drew Storen, Chris Marrero, and Michael Burgess/Destin Hood

This is precisely why many of us thought Doug's thinking of "You can get more for position players in the offseason, there are more suitors" was wrong. A lot more supply as well, Doug.

I'll gladly eat my hat if we wind up trading Prince for a similar package, or somehow sign him for a smallish extension 2 yr 30 m (I know, quite the longshot).

As for Greinke, he's not going to NY. He'll block any trade there, so we don't have to worry about that.

I'm wondering if Cliff Lee will go to the Yanks, get a offer and bring it back to Tex and just sign there after the incident with his wife. Pure speculation, but I think Nolan Ryan is gonna try to keep him at all costs. Dude has a massive ego.

I believe Greinke just waived his no-trade to New York, so it doesn't look like he will block a trade there.

Really? I hadn't heard that. Hello panic attacks.

Melvin has to get what he can for Prince at the winter Mettings,we really can't afford to keep up till July.The only way The only way we could get something good that late is if another team is desperate to win it all maybe someone would overpay. This is a no win situation for Melvin and yeah he should have moved him 2 years ago since he had to know with Boras as his agent he was going to Free Agency.I would have hoped the Prince would have taken control to say with the Crew.

Now they'd got the most value by keeping him, trying to win this year, and taking the picks.

In a vacuum, I'm leaning more toward thinking sitting tight and taking the picks will be the best option. However, one thing we often neglect in considering comp picks is the signing bonus. It's not "trade for prospects vs get two draft picks", it's "trade for prospects vs get the opportunity to pay for 2 draftees". A player in the 2nd half of the first round plus a supplemental pick will run between $2MM and $3MM. If we think we're getting a return equal to what we'd expect from the comp picks, you also have to consider that the other team essentially paid that 2-3MM signing bonus for you.

The net effect of trading Fielder now would be 1) someone paying you a couple million for him (by not paying the draftee signing bonus) and 2) the prospects being 1+ years more advanced. Of course, that all falls apart if you feel that the offered return is NOT the caliber of player you could net from the draft picks, in which case you keep your finger off the trade button and pay the signing bonus.

Jon Heyman is reporting the deal has fallen through (in two separate tweets), as the Red Sox and Gonzalez could not come to terms on a contract extension before the end of the negotiating window at 2 PM ET.

If true, this is huge. Of course, doesn't mean a trade between the two won't get done with lesser players, but I thought it would've been a fair deal for the Padres and a big factor in the AL East arms race.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

The deadline for the Red Sox and Gonzalez to agree on an extension, and reportedly the two sides aren't close. The Red Sox still may pull the trigger on this deal.

And it seems as though Paul Konerko re-sigining with the White Sox is a matter of when and not if. That would leave quite a few teams out there looking for an impact bat.

I love Jon Heyman. He's my new Gammons.

I dislike Ken Rosenthal. He's my new Rosenthal.

And 7 years at $23 million per, for a guy who hasn't taken an at bat in the AL? That seems very risky--and if that is the market price for Fielder, then I would guess he'll be a Brewer all year and we'll take the draft picks.

According to Over the Monster:

The Padres will receive Red Sox prospects Casey Kelly, Anthony Rizzo, and Reymond Fuentes in return

Interesting....no Kalish

The highest rated guy, Kelly had a 5.31 ERA and a 1.61 WHIP at AA. Rizzo's shown some power potential, but hasn't hit for much of an average, and he makes a ton of errors at 1b. Fuentes is at least 3 years away.

It's will be at least 2013 before this deal pays any dividends for Padres and that's assuming a lot. Not a good deal for baseball in general in my opinion. Glad to have Gonzalez out of the NL, but I'd rather have Fielder for another year and take the two draft picks than take this deal for him.

Important to keep in mind that both Kelly and Rizzo were in AA at age 20. Kelly was dominant in A and A+ the year before with great feel for two secondary pitches and actually added a couple mph on his fastball heading into 2010 (some speculate this is the source of his recently less impressive command). Either way, he's probably a top 25 prospect in all of baseball, and Rizzo would seem like a lock for the top 100 (also, a good defender according to scouting reports, fwiw)

Seems like a pretty good haul, especially compared to the 2 picks SD would have gotten otherwise (in an unsure FA compensation environment); and from the Sox perspective, it's a hefty price to pay for 1 yr of Gonzales and an exclusive negotiating window. In the end, I think both teams win with this. Gonzo should rake in Fenway, and I think Kelly is gonna put up great numbers in Petco as soon as the 2012 season, if not late this season.

Archived