Brewer Fanatic

Red Sox have agreed to deal in principle to acquire Adrian Gonzalez

mrbergmann

Adrian Gonzalez is being traded to Boston

Well, you guys tell me...if this actually goes through, I think this just about clinches the fact that Prince will start the 2011 season as a Brewer. I always thought Boston was the leading candidate to end up landing Prince, so does this actually help the Brewers chances of signing him long-term?

(Moderator note: I edited the topic title to make it clear that this is Major League forum material rather than a transaction rumor.

--1992casey)

Adrian Gonzalez is being traded to Boston

Well, you guys tell me...if this actually goes through, I think this just about clinches the fact that Prince will start the 2011 season as a Brewer. I always thought Boston was the leading candidate to end up landing Prince, so does this actually help the Brewers chances of signing him long-term??

I've always assumed that if Boston was going to pony up for one of the two, they'd prefer Gonzalez. Boston puts a premium on defense more than just about any other team.

I really can"t come up with a legit list of teams that are going to aggressively go after Prince, and be able to pay him that much more than we can. Maybe the Cubs...the Giants I suppose both when he's a FA. The big options, both NY's, Philly, Boston...they're all pretty well set, especially if this trade goes through.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I'm requesting a Melvin Siting. It's been a weird hot stove season so far in that GM's are acting early. I wouldn't mind seeing Melvin start getting into the action seeing that he's been telling us all that he needs to make a lot of moves this offseason.

If I were Boston, I'd prefer Adrian Gonzo as well. Cheaper and better defense. With that said, all I want for Christmas is for the Brewers to obtain Greinke. Time to get to work Melvin! Time to make the donuts.

I'm requesting a Melvin Siting. It's been a weird hot stove season so far in that GM's are acting early. I wouldn't mind seeing Melvin start getting into the action seeing that he's been telling us all that he needs to make a lot of moves this offseason.

What? Signing Brandon Boggs and that big Carlos Villanueva trade aren't enough for you?

It does seem like the Brewers have been laying particularly low, though. Kind of frustrating as a fan. I expect the Winter Meetings (which start Monday) to be very telling.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I think this guarantees that Cliff Lee will be a Yankee, maybe Greinke too.

I'm still holding out hope for Texas to retain Lee and that the Greinke camp is right in that he would prefer to play for a smaller market.

I'm holding onto that hope as well

Well, the Rangers do seem adamant about re-signing him. But as well know, the Yankees can outbid for anyone they really want. I've read that the Yankees don't think Greinke would be a good fit due to his past issues (I think either Heyman or Rosenthal was saying that recently).

I do wonder if this move opens up more opportunities for a Prince Fielder move? Maybe Toronto will want to keep pace and get interested? Not going to hold my breath, just a thought.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Is Kevin Youkilis + Adrian Gonzalez that much better than Kevin Youkilis + Adrian Beltre? If Youkilis slides back across the diamond to third base, the Red Sox will take a step down defensively there, and how much better is Gonzalez' defense at first from Youkilis'? My point being, I don't see this being that huge of a move for the Red Sox, at least compared to what they had on their IF corners last year. It could turn out being a wash, aside from getting the player they really wanted for several years.

If they add a big bat for one of their corner OF spots, like Crawford or Werth as rumored, that will be the bigger move this offseason.

And aside from a few free agents signing, there are quite a few teams that haven't done much this offseason.

Is Kevin Youkilis + Adrian Gonzalez that much better than Kevin Youkilis + Adrian Beltre? If Youkilis slides back across the diamond to third base, the Red Sox will take a step down defensively there, and how much better is Gonzalez' defense at first from Youkilis'? My point being, I don't see this being that huge of a move for the Red Sox, at least compared to what they had on their IF corners last year. It could turn out being a wash, aside from getting the player they really wanted for several years.

If they add a big bat for one of their corner OF spots, like Crawford or Werth as rumored, that will be the bigger move this offseason.

And aside from a few free agents signing, there are quite a few teams that haven't done much this offseason.

But it does open up a spot for Fielder next year when Ortiz's contract is up. And while I don't think it does much over last year's Beltre its hard to expect Beltre to perform like he did last year going forward..

Boy, wouldn't that be perfect? Boston could sign Fielder next year after getting Gonzalez this winter and extending him. And of course they signed John Lackey last year. The rich keep getting richer in MLB, while teams like the Brewers have to hope and pray for their prospects to develop and settle for scraps on the FA market.

And while I don't think it does much over last year's Beltre its hard to expect Beltre to perform like he did last year going forward.

I agree, but I still contend this move doesn't make the 2011 Red Sox significantly better than the 2010 Red Sox. They could have re-signed Beltre, not given up any prospects, and possibly had their 1B of the future in Anthony Rizzo in another year or two.

This has been my biggest fear. We have the best trading chip we've had since Richie Sexson and we're going to end up high and dry. You could see this developing a mile away and probably makes Melvin regret not taking Daniel Hudson when he had the chance for Prince.

I can see Jack Z coming back to get his first round draft pick after this season as a FA signing that could save his job. Seattle isn't afraid to spend money and Prince could be a good fit for them long-term. That's my prediction. And we're left with 2 draft picks for him.

If Boston also adds either Crawford or Werth, they will for sure be my pick for the AL East. I think that offense will be better than NY and their pitching might be as well.

I'm with you bucksman4, they should have taken Daniel Hudson last season and been done with Prince. But part of me wonders, with Gonzalez now off the trade market, early this hot stove season, maybe Fielder is a little more tradeable now.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

This is precisely why many of us thought Doug's thinking of "You can get more for position players in the offseason, there are more suitors" was wrong. A lot more supply as well, Doug.

I'll gladly eat my hat if we wind up trading Prince for a similar package, or somehow sign him for a smallish extension 2 yr 30 m (I know, quite the longshot).

As for Greinke, he's not going to NY. He'll block any trade there, so we don't have to worry about that.

I'm wondering if Cliff Lee will go to the Yanks, get a offer and bring it back to Tex and just sign there after the incident with his wife. Pure speculation, but I think Nolan Ryan is gonna try to keep him at all costs. Dude has a massive ego.

According to Over the Monster:

The Padres will receive Red Sox prospects Casey Kelly, Anthony Rizzo, and Reymond Fuentes in return

Interesting....no Kalish

The highest rated guy, Kelly had a 5.31 ERA and a 1.61 WHIP at AA. Rizzo's shown some power potential, but hasn't hit for much of an average, and he makes a ton of errors at 1b. Fuentes is at least 3 years away.

It's will be at least 2013 before this deal pays any dividends for Padres and that's assuming a lot. Not a good deal for baseball in general in my opinion. Glad to have Gonzalez out of the NL, but I'd rather have Fielder for another year and take the two draft picks than take this deal for him.

This has been my biggest fear. We have the best trading chip we've had since Richie Sexson and we're going to end up high and dry. You could see this developing a mile away and probably makes Melvin regret not taking Daniel Hudson when he had the chance for Prince.
Daniel Hudson isn't better than any of the players named so far in the return for Adrian Gonzalez. I'm with endaround; I'd rather take the two compensation picks than settle on a guy like Hudson. It'll take a lot more than 80 good innings with an unsustainably low BABIP and high LOB% to convince me the Brewers missed the boat there.

I don't think anyone can really look at this trade and use it as a gauge for what the Brewers should/could get for Prince. Gonzalez is a better fielder, just as good as a hitter, and was willing to work out a long-term extension. The Padres also weren't looking for MLB-ready pitching in return. If you're going to criticize Melvin for one thing in regards to trading Fielder, it should be about limiting possible returns by only talking about pitching.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Archived