And That
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Adam:

General manager Doug Melvin said the Brewers and Blue Jays would probably finalize the Carlos Villanueva trade next week. The Brewers sent Villanueva, a reliever, to Toronto on Dec. 3 for a player to be named later or cash. Melvin said the Brewers would probably opt for cash, but, "we'll take a look at it and see." The Brewers were considering non-tendering Villanueva when they found a last-minute trade partner in Toronto.

• 2 weeks later...
Villanueva has allowed 1 hit and fanned 11 in his first 9 2/3 innings as a Blue Jay.

Sean Green, who ostensibly replaced him in order to save roughly $500K, has a 1.588 WHIP, with 4 hits allowed and 5 walks in 5 2/3 innings.

I hope Carlos has turned the corner. He would look very good for a little while and then he would look like he could not get anyone out. In those same 9 innings he has walked 6 guys. Averaging over a walk every two innings will come back to haunt him. His WHIP the last 4 years was 1.31 or higher so once hits start to drop those numbers will slide to the norm.

On the other side Green has not been good at all. But I dont know if you can say he replaced Carlos since Green wont be on the roster when Hawkins and Saito are back, will he?

• 1 month later...
Pretty sure Villaneuva can be explained by a BABIP of .000. He'll suddenly "suck" in May.
May so far: 9 2/3 IP, 6 hits, 1 run, 2 BB, 10 K. 0.93 ERA.

Villanueva is scheduled to make his first start since 2009 tonight against the Yankees. He's replacing injured Jesse Litsch in the Blue Jay rotation.

Blue Jay manager John Farrell on Villanueva: "Those numbers stand for themselves. If you go on merit alone, he's earned the opportunity to go into the rotation".

Villanueva's BABIP: .148 (career .278)

Villanueva's LOB%: 93% (career 74.9%)

Villanueva's HR/FB: 6.9% (career 12.2%)

His ERA is 1.48. He has a 3.77 xFIP and 3.85 SIERA, so pitching well, but he does appear to be pitching with quite a bit of luck. He's almost the anti-Greinke.

The jury is still out if he's worth the $1.45M he's getting paid this year. Probably will be.

Villanueva's BABIP: .148 (career .278)

Villanueva's LOB%: 93% (career 74.9%)

Villanueva's HR/FB: 6.9% (career 12.2%)

His ERA is 1.48. He has a 3.77 xFIP and 3.85 SIERA, so pitching well, but he does appear to be pitching with quite a bit of luck. He's almost the anti-Greinke.

The jury is still out if he's worth the $1.45M he's getting paid this year. Probably will be.

Considering he had 11.4 SO per 9 IP, a 3.05 SO/BB ratio, a .238 BAA, and .702 OPS against in 2010, one could easily make the case, he was extremely unlucky last year.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Don't underestimate what a change of scenery can do also. There is no way of knowing that he would have or could have put up those same numbers for us. I'm happy he is doing well, but I agreed with the trade also (although, it would have been nice to get some player back instead of cash, given the state of our farm system).

Roderick]
he's earned the opportunity to go into the rotation".
Mark it down. Kiss of death.

That's his manager's words, not mine. My point isn't that dealing Villanueva was a bad idea necessarily but that the timing insured minimal return.

Archived