Brewer Fanatic

Ron Santo passes away at 70

Invader3K

The Chicago Cubs legend died last night due to complications from bladder cancer.

(Dec. 3) -- Ron Santo, the retired Chicago Cubs great who lost his legs to diabetes but continued to work as a broadcast analyst, has died at age 70.

The former Cubs third baseman, who hit 342 home runs and drove in 1,331 runs during his 15-year major league career, died Thursday of complications from bladder cancer, family members told WGN-AM in a report cited by the Chicago Tribune. Santo worked for the station as a Cubs analyst.

(removed link styling inserted by Chrome/Safari --1992)

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

This is sad news for fans everywhere. I've always felt that his playing career was underrated by many. He was certainly dedicated to his team.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

It was fun/frustrating to tune in to Cubs games to listen to him and his homer calls. I hate the Cubs, so the things that brought him despair would bring me glee--and vice versa.

But I admire his passion for his team, and I REALLY admire how he continued to work even as his body was failing him. He could have given up years ago, but he kept plugging along.

Not sure if he's a Hall of Famer. But he seemed like a decent guy and a hero in his battles against his ailments.

This is not an audio link, but just a programming reminder MLB Network Radio provided.

Happened to hear that interview with Santo on my workday commute via XM Radio the day after Thanksgiving.

His passion, even via his baseball sufferings following his own club, seemed to allow him to overcome the many very real and severe physical sufferings he dealt with in "real" life.

Occasionally I'll listen to Cubs game on the radio. I'm really going to miss Santo. I know many have criticized his broadcasting talents. However, I found him very entertaining to listen to. It was like eavesdropping on a die hard, life long, Cubs fan as he watched a game. He truly lived and died with each play and he clearly showed that emotion when he did his broadcasts.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

It's a sad day in baseball indeed. I think the last time I listened to him was when McGehee got that walk off hit off Marmol. Santo always wore his emotions on his sleeve just like any fan.

Of course I remember him as a player too. When Santo came up in 1960, Eddie Mathews was established as the premier 3B in the game, certainly in the NL. His 2 closest NL rivals were Ken Boyer and then a little later Santo. Boyer and Santo were both very good, but neither is in the HOF. Eventually, both probably will make it.

He truly lived and died with each play and he clearly showed that emotion when he did his broadcasts.
Listening to Ron pretty much drove me crazy, but I respect his passion for the Cubs, even though I don't share it; and he certainly had more than his share of physical ailment to bear. I always thought if the Cubs actually "won it all" while he was in the booth, that he might not survive it, though at least he'd die happy.

I was mildly surprised to see this in the Chicago Tribune online obituary:

His most famous call was a simple two-word utterance -- "Oh no!" -- when

outfielder Brant Brown dropped a fly ball with two outs and the bases

loaded in the bottom of the ninth of a crucial game in Milwaukee in the

final week of the 1998 season.

When I heard the news on the radio this morning, I thought of tomwopat's avatar immediately:

http://images.yuku.com/image/png/ffa15f91825790cee6c119425654fd6d5b9278a_t.gif

Rest in peace, Ron.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I heard the news on the drive to work this morning. Ironically, they included the audio call from the Brant Brown game. I have no memory of Santo as a player, but I enjoyed listening to horrific Cub losses on the radio just to hear him grunt, groan, and complain.

I also enjoyed listening to Ron. Especially when he'd kid around with Pat about his "gamer." (The high quality toupee for ballgames) Not a great announcer by any conventional means, but Ronnie always entertained. Made listening to games FUN, and I think there is something to be said for that. He will be missed in my home. As for the Hall, I think he should make and will eventually. Unfortunately, he won't be around to see it.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I loved listening to the rare inning when Hughes was away doing something else, and Santo was handling play by play by himself. You'd hear a crack of a bat, and then something along the lines of ".........uh......CAUGHT in uh.........right field by......Sosa? Yeah. Sosa."

I digress. The guy has belonged in the HOF for a good long while. It sucks that if and when he makes it, he won't be able to cherish the moment.

While it's true I hate the Cubs, I mourn the losses of Harry Caray and Ron Santo. Both seemed like good guys who were passionate about baseball. No matter what team someone may like, I always hate seeing passionate baseball people go. They've made my life so much better.

It was fun/frustrating to tune in to Cubs games to listen to him and his homer calls. I hate the Cubs, so the things that brought him despair would bring me glee--and vice versa.

But I admire his passion for his team, and I REALLY admire how he continued to work even as his body was failing him. He could have given up years ago, but he kept plugging along.

Not sure if he's a Hall of Famer. But he seemed like a decent guy and a hero in his battles against his ailments.

Agreed. Most of us on here can appreciate how loyal and dedicated he was to the Cubbies. It's a sad time for Cubbie nation.

While I have to admit, I wasn't his biggest fan, and he wasn't exactly the most polished radio guy, you really could hear the emotion coming through. At the time I thought his agonized groans were funny, but hey, it's kinda cool to have a guy who's that emotionally invested into the team.

Great player as well.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

When I heard the news on the radio this morning, I thought of tomwopat's avatar

Me too... I literally said, "Oh no!" out loud before I even thought of the connection. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

R.I.P. Ron

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I loved listening to the rare inning when Hughes was away doing something else, and Santo was handling play by play by himself. You'd hear a crack of a bat, and then something along the lines of ".........uh......CAUGHT in uh.........right field by......Sosa? Yeah. Sosa."

I digress. The guy has belonged in the HOF for a good long while. It sucks that if and when he makes it, he won't be able to cherish the moment.

I thought it was better when the ball WASN'T caught. "OH NO!!! NO....NO....NO....that's just a shame....c'mon GUYS!!!"

Just blind homerism....and that's not a bad thing.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I'm a huge fan of radio and Ron was always one of my favorite radio voices. I love passion in the voice of an announcer and Ron was certainly genuinely passionate. As a Brewer fan I could grin a little bit hearing Ron's "Oh no!" when the Cubs were playing the Brewers.

I didn't get to see him play, but his numbers always seemed Hall worthy to me.

Here's Ron's Hall of Fame Trial topic:

ARTICLE: Hall of Fame Trial - Ron Santo

I remember looking up OPS+ stats for Hall of Fame third basemen a few years back. Ron's would fall right in the middle of that group. I would think that should make him a worthy candidate.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived