Brewer Fanatic

Adam Dunn to the White Sox - 4 years/$56 mil

Invader3K

I think it's a good move by Williams. They needed a power hitter, and Dunn certainly gives them that. It's a big contract, but I don't think it's an outrageous one.

I wish Melvin would take a cue from Williams and make some aggressive moves like he always seems to.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Shoot, I had wanted a Prince for Gavin Floyd trade. I really am not seeing how we get a #1/#2 starter without giving up the farm now. And trading prospects should not be done, as I doubt we are a playoff team anyway. I hope Doug is smart through the off-season. I have a horrible feeling we are one of the two teams rumored to be hard after Kevin Correija.

One other thought: I realize there's a four year age difference, but does this signing have any reflection on what Prince Fielder would command in free agency? The two are similar players in that they are both big bats with poor gloves, and both seem destined for the DH. Dunn probably has the better body type, though.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

One less place for Prince to go in all likelihood.

It's also one less big bat on the market. Keep in mind the Nationals didn't trade Dunn at the deadline because word had it that they wanted to re-sign him long-term. The Nationals may still be pretty bad, but they have been making moves as though they're intent on putting the best team on the field that they can. I wouldn't be surprised if they inquired about Fielder, even if the two teams don't match up particularly well.

I'm still keeping an eye on the Orioles. If they lose out on Konerko, like they did with V-Mart, I could see them getting involved.

The faster these bats are scooped up, the better for the Brewers (if you're a proponent of them deadling Prince).

Remember back to the trade deadline when everyone assumed Kenny Williams only traded for Edwin Jackson because the Nationals wanted him for Adam Dunn, and when that deal fell through he was "stuck" with Jackson? Now he has both.

Kenny Williams is a mad scientist.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I still love Adam Dunn. I think this is a really nice pickup for Chicago, but who knows how it'll look a couple or three years from now.

Yea, there is a slight risk that Dunn will regress a little to quite a bit by year three or four of that contract, but if i was an AL team that needed a big lefty power power to play 1st/DH, i'd much rather do this deal with Dunn than trade some good young arms for Fielder and then either see him leave after the one season or to resign Prince to some huge money 6-7 year contract.

As long as Lawrie, Odorizzi, Jeffress, Rodgers, and Rivas are still with our organization, I am fine with anything we do this off season.
I agree. I'd much rather see guys like Gamel and McGehee traded.

You have to give to get. McGehee might net some good talent, but I don't think Gamel would bring much in return. It's fairly clear that the Brewers are not going to net a #1 or #2 starter in free agency. They are going to have to trade something of value away to get that. The Fielder situation is not looking great. Does not seem to be a ton of interest and I not sure that a team is going to offer a #1/#2 for him.

As good of propects as Lawrie, Odorizzi, Jeffress, Roders, and Rivas are, I will always take top proven MLB talent over a prospect that only promisses to be good some day at the MLB level. Of course some of this depends on the contract of the player that is being received, but I think people get way too attached to "can't miss" prospects.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Congrats to him. He deserves it IMO. He's a pretty decent career and he was stuck being the best player in Washington. Now he's on a better team.

Austin 5:29

Life never slows down, so always make it exciting #moveit

Shoot, I had wanted a Prince for Gavin Floyd trade. I really am not seeing how we get a #1/#2 starter without giving up the farm now. And trading prospects should not be done, as I doubt we are a playoff team anyway. I hope Doug is smart through the off-season. I have a horrible feeling we are one of the two teams rumored to be hard after Kevin Correija.

The prevailing thought seems to be that the Brewers are going to make a strong play for Greinke. At least that's been speculated. I was listening to the score and they had one of the Boston beat writers. He said he'd been hearing the Brewers were one of the favorites to get Greinke.

I'm not sure about that with what Drayton Moore seems to ask, but he's the one guy I'd be willing to give away a package of Gamel and Odorizzi plus a couple fill in's. Maybe you deal Hart, get a top pitching prospect and then make the deal. I don't know.

But he's one of the few guys who, maybe the only I'd be willing to give up that type of package for. I would NOT include Lawrie however.

A rotation of Greinke/Gallardo/Wolf are your top 3 wouldn't be bad at all. And by the way, I have NO problem signing Correia if we sign him for something like 2 years 12 million. He's a pretty solid pitcher at that price and could be a nice back of the rotation guy. He'd also allow us to throw Rivas, Rogers, or whomever in there and limit their innings. Round out the big 3 with Correia and Parra to start the year and I think we'd be looking pretty damn good.

The question is could we extend Greinke for another 3/45? That'd give us him for 5 years along with Yo and open up our window pretty substantially.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

One other thought: I realize there's a four year age difference, but does this signing have any reflection on what Prince Fielder would command in free agency? The two are similar players in that they are both big bats with poor gloves, and both seem destined for the DH. Dunn probably has the better body type, though.

That's a great question. Haudricourt has a post talking about the money Gonzalez and Werth are getting as proof the Brewers can't sign Fielder. The reality though is other than age, that Fielder is closer as a player to Dunn than he is to Werth, who's got all around ability and Gonzalez who's a better all around hitter. Besides with Boston and New York already set a 1B, if either bid on Fielder they would do so with the intention of him being a full time DH, a position of less value.

My feeling is that Fielder has to match his 09 numbers to get the kind of money Boras has talked about. If he repeats his 2010, season, he'll not get much more than the $100 million over 5 years that he turned down from the Brewers.

I'm not even sure that he'd get a 5/100 offer right now. Prince (because of our fan base and out potential to be a solid team next year with 1 more good arm) is worth more to the Brewers than other teams.

a .275/.375/.525/.900 line makes him extremely valuable

a .260/.370/.470/.840 line, valuable, but not the kind of player and a non-premium position that you want to pay $20M per

Given the Dunn deal (4/56)... i'd offer Prince 20/22/24/18/16 ... if he thinks he can do better than 5/100, good luck to him

endaround[/b]]Right now Fileder's asking price is likely 10 years $200m

And if this is true I hope he waits all next offseason for this. I would be hard pressed to give him even the Werth contract. 7years/$126MM for Fielder would take him to age 35 or about 2-3 years before I believe he will be a full time DH.

Legitimately, I believe his asking price is 8years/$180MM and will likely get around 7years/$160MM

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

That's a great question. Haudricourt has a post talking about the money Gonzalez and Werth are getting as proof the Brewers can't sign Fielder. The reality though is other than age, that Fielder is closer as a player to Dunn than he is to Werth, who's got all around ability and Gonzalez who's a better all around hitter. Besides with Boston and New York already set a 1B, if either bid on Fielder they would do so with the intention of him being a full time DH, a position of less value.

My feeling is that Fielder has to match his 09 numbers to get the kind of money Boras has talked about. If he repeats his 2010, season, he'll not get much more than the $100 million over 5 years that he turned down from the Brewers.

JohnBriggs, I think you got this about right. What is a one-dimensional 35-40 HR guy worth? Dunn is a good comparable. He's older, but Prince's body type scares people into thinking he's going to fade quicker than most guys. But as you said, if Prince hits 45-50 HR, then we're talking a different player.

I will say this - it only takes one crazy team to throw reason out the door. Even if Prince hits 'only' 32 HR next year, one team could be convinced that Prince is their savior and pony up $25 million/year. Did anyone think Werth was going to get $18 million/year? He's a very good player - but $18 million! And for 7 years! It only takes one lunatic.

If you're going to have one or two-dimensions as a position player, hitting HRs & getting on base are the two to have. Fielder & Dunn are similar in those categories, & defense, but Prince has & will hit for a better AVG, & will K less. Those two differences matter, too.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived