Brewer Fanatic

Braves sign Eric Hinske to a 1 year deal w/an option

And That

The symbolism for an old guy like me of a Wisconsin native spurning what is essentially his hometown team for Atlanta kind of bothers me a bit, but he wasn't going to make or break this season for the Brewers anyway.

I had a hard time seeing a role beyond lefty PH for him if Fielder comes back. Even then, I don't think Hinske is an adequate replacement.

At least now Melvin can focus on the real needs of this team.

The symbolism for an old guy like me of a Wisconsin native spurning what is essentially his hometown team for Atlanta kind of bothers me a bit, but he wasn't going to make or break this season for the Brewers anyway.
He likely enjoyed his time in Atlanta and feels the Braves have a better chance at a title this year than the Brewers do. I wouldn't let it bother you, even a little bit.

Doesn't hurt my feelings as Hinske is just a 'guy' at this point. Plenty of them around available without doling out a two year contract and then ending up with a small Jody Gerut-like albatross ($2 million) for 2012 if things go south.
I agree. It's not like anyone was going to be buying tickets to see Hinske in a Brewers uniform or something, other than his immediate friends and family.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Doesn't hurt my feelings as Hinske is just a 'guy' at this point. Plenty of them around available without doling out a two year contract and then ending up with a small Jody Gerut-like albatross ($2 million) for 2012 if things go south.
I agree. It's not like anyone was going to be buying tickets to see Hinske in a Brewers uniform or something, other than his immediate friends and family.
I don't know about that, I live in the Fox Valley, and Hinske is pretty popular in Menasha. Whenever Hinske visits Miller Park as a visiting player, a bunch of Menasha bars have bus trips to see him. Probably wouldn't translate to a lot of extra ticket sales, but he'd bring in more people than any other backup OF the Brewers sign.

From TH's latest blog post

Melvin said he could have had Hinske with a two-year offer, which the Menasha, Wisc., native confirmed in an interview with the Atlanta Journal Constitution.

“Milwaukee made a big push,” said Hinske. “I think it kind of boiled down to they weren’t willing to give me a two-year deal. Neither was Atlanta but if neither was going to, my heart was in Atlanta.”

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived