Brewer Fanatic

John From Cincinnatti (spoilers) Latest: Cancelled!

Boy Jeenius

Am I the only person watching this show? It's the 4th episode tonight and I'm in stitches. What fantastically bizarre characters and clever writing. I am already hopelessly addicted.

EDIT: I spelled Cincinnati incorrectly.

Edit: Update. - Toby

HBO, Sunday nights. (Careful, spoilers below)

A family of highly talented surfers (with the surname Yost no less) from San Diego (Imperial Beach) somehow encounters a VERY strange character who calls himself John from Cincinnati. At the same time, they all start experiencing very strange things. Miracles. The youngest surfer has a miracle recovery after breaking his neck just hours earlier. His grandfather actually notices that he floats on occasion. Yes, up in the air.

John keeps saying weird stuff like "The end is near" and really, not much else that he doesn't hear someone else say.

My theory:

John From Cincinnati

Jesus Friggin Christ

I must admit, I'm hooked, and now I've hooked 2 other people.

The show is so odd, I was able to call some shots on some things, it's definately much different than other shows out there. Now that I think about it, that's probably the attraction for me. I sorta go my own way...

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Thanks for bringing this one to my attention Boy Jeenius! I've only seen the first episode but I think I'm really going to like this show. Weird stuff all around, I like it!

Can't wait for a Ned cameo.

I've been up on this show since it started, and i agree that it will continue to get better as they start to unlock more and more secrets. i won't get to watch last night's episode until tuesday afternoon.

I have all the episodes cached on my TiVo, but I haven't watched the show yet. The reason I hesitate is that the reviews I've seen have been devestating. I gather that some people think Milch has become unbearably pretentious with this show.

Hova, can reviewers stop from being anything but pretentious themselves? This show is genius, with lots of VERY good actors you will recognize. Start it up and enjoy. I have watched every episode 3 times and see new stuff I missed every time. It's like watching the Marx brothers in that regard.

I've never heard of this show. What channel, what time?

I've never seen the show either, but it seems to me that HBO has been showing it almost nightly. Whenever I check the listings, it's there.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Maybe the mods could put "(spoilers)" in the thread title so we could start discussing the show?

Sam -- This show just drips of Deadwood IMO -- a lot of great character writing and character acting. If you liked Deadwood, you need to give this show a chance. It is really hard to explain what it is all about -- but it is a real "outside the box" show.

I want someone on the show to say they were "Yosted" -- that would crack me up.

speaking of new HBO shows, is anyone watching "Flight of the Conchords"? I thought the first couple episodes were hilarious, but my wife only thought it was ok. Have any of you guys watched it?

(not to threadjack or anything)

FOTC is hilarious... I thought last night's episode was the best yet. I've been watching the episodes multiple times, mostly because I miss so much the first time around.

The supporting characters are just as funny as the band members themselves. The groupie and manager pretty much have me rolling.

(getting back on thread)

I've so far DVRed all of the episodes, but haven't watched them. I'll probably watch them all while working sometime before next season.

FOTC does not grab me to the point that I can't miss it, but I do laugh a lot when I watch it. It reminds me of Monty Python. Dead pan humor, ironic very clever twists, mixed in with some music. Now if those 2 don dresses and have a "drag race" it will convince me it is Python reincarnated.

Another solid show tonight, but I really am left wondering where the show is supposed to go. There doesn't seem to be any sort of endgame (not that there needs to be 5 episodes into a run), and they keep introducing new characters each show.

The thing that bothers me most outside of the stilted writing is Shaunie Yost... the actor that plays him is either playing the part completely dead, or the actor is just plain horrible. De Mornay and Greenwood try to act off of him, but nothing happens.

It's gotta be tough to find decent child actors that fit the mold of the show.

The mother was definately not what I expected.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Shaun's kinda the hub that the whole wheel of crazies is revolving around. They're playing him down on purpose. Watching him stay calm in the middle of all the chaos is like he's a straight man for the comedian. I think he's charming as all get out.

Ed O'Neill just kills me when he's on the screen. And how about Paul Ben Victor who played the heavy in the Wire's 2nd season, now playing the goof here. That guy's got range.

i've been getting more and more lost each week, but i feel as if the last few episodes will explain everything. the whole thing with john "preaching" to the entire circus of characters was very interesting, it made john look like a prophet.

I've now watched the most recent episode three times... I've formed some opinions as to what may be happening, but the more I think about it, the more confused I get. Some really brilliant patchwork writing in the episode, even if I had no idea what was going on.

And where was Mitch Yost? He wasn't even in the show when the family was grouped together at the end of John's whatever it was speech.

But yah, I'm mostly lost as well.

Edit: Here's John's speech from the end of the episode. Lots of biblical illusions, amongst other things.

www.imdb.com/title/tt0814...d/79857687

If you can't access the Imdb message boards, the entire speech is also on my Last.fm profile page, which is at the link on my sig.

Well from the second episode I thought that JC = Jesus Christ...

Even if it's not intentional he sure looks like a prophet at this point. I must say, that had I known where the show was going, I wouldn't have watched it. However, not knowing much about it forced me to keep an open mind, and I enjoy the show immensly.

- Plato

- Plato

Archived