Brewer Fanatic

Have we been thinking about Fielder the wrong way?

clancyphile
I actually think it hurts Prince's situation. There's only so many big market teams (AL only most likely) that would pay him $100+ million, now if he goes for 40+ this year thats different, if he duplicates this years performance Prince is going to be asking Boras why we didn't take that $100 million :0
There are 5 big market teams and you could even add in Toronto as a big market team that would be in on Prince. There are 5 teams that will be in a need for a 1B/DH type of a player and there will only be 2 players to fill those needs. If you have all 5 of those teams bidding on those 2 players that means it is a win win situation for the player. Prince is not going to be asking why Boras didn't take that $100 million he will be celebrating with him for not taking it. At the minimum I see Prince getting $140 for about 6 or 7 years I don't see why Prince would be asking Boras why he didn't take that $100 million.

You are completely undervaluing the market next year. Cubs, Dodgers, Red Sox, Orioles, Nationals, and Toronto all will be bidding on 2 players that makes the situation great for Prince and there is no way any of those teams bid under $100 million for Prince.

So if Pujols and Gonzalez were not free agents, how exactly would Prince be hindered? Then there would be five big market teams after just one guy. The theory of supply and demand dictates that when supply increases, price goes down.
Yes that is the general rule but supply is not increasing in this scenario it is decreasing while demand is staying the same so the price will increase.

So if Pujols and Gonzalez were not free agents, how exactly would Prince be hindered? Then there would be five big market teams after just one guy. The theory of supply and demand dictates that when supply increases, price goes down.
Yes that is the general rule but supply is not increasing in this scenario it is decreasing while demand is staying the same so the price will increase.
I appreciate the knowledge of which teams will have openings and money, and I believe what you are referring to is that Pujols will set the market, from which Fielder could benefit from (kind of like arbitration). Which may work if teams are dumb enough to let that happen.

But I still think you have the supply part of supply-and-demand backwards.

The teams losing those other 1B may be bidders as well. I don't really think it's a positive to have 3 rather than 1, but I suppose there's always room for a different outlook.

As for the original post, Prince is looking to break the bank ASAP. Guaranteeing him a single year for less than he'll get in free agency (barring injury or his production falling off a cliff) is not even make him consider it. If you offered him 2012 only and $30M for it, that he might think about, but probably not sign.

If I am not mistaken, both Pujols and Gonzalez become free agents after 2011 as well - potentially hurting Fielder's chances of getting a mega-deal.

That won't hurt Fielder it will only help him.

How does that help Fielder at all? It takes him from the top offensive player on the market to the 3rd. You figure that the Yankee's will be out of the running most likely with Tex and then Jeters eventual move over to DH(though not for certain). The Red Sox don't strike me as a team that's going to go for Prince, most likely they'll go after Agon.

And then after the whole litany of teams with big money, I don't see many who would be willing to pay for Prince, or have the need for him.

Mets-Ike Davis

Phillies-Obviously Howard

Dodgers-Loney, though they may be possible.

I think the best chances are the Cubs and then a team like Baltimore who seems to make an aggressive play every so often. But ulimately I think that the market for Prince is going to be incredibly shrunken. In fact, I think at the end of the day that Prince's chances of staying in Milwaukee.....which I don't think is a great idea, BUT, his chances of staying in Milwaukee are a helluva lot better than they've been the last 5 years or most people on here think. 6 years 115 million is what I think he'll end up getting. And I'm a guy who thought Prince was going to ask for 27 million and get just under 25 only a year or two ago.

I do think that locking up Prince could end up being a smart move for the Brewers. It'd take a big chunk of our resources, but you could then open up Corey Hart,Casey McGehee, and several others for trade while putting together an incredible offense. Sign Weeks and while we'd have very little money left, you'd throw out a lineup of potentially Weeks 2B/Gamel RF/Braun LF/ Prince 1B/Lawrie 3B/Cain CF/LuCroy C/Escobar SS.

That's a potentially GREAT lineup.

I think our lineup is going to be better in the future with or without Prince, but Prince could truly give us an elite offense.

Then take Hart, try and get a good prospect for him, and then just hope that your young pitchers develop.

The new TV deal, and keeping Prince, Braun and Weeks could help us push our payroll upwards of 100 million in the near future.

CF and 3B already have Lorenzo Cain and Casey McGehee, respectively.

Ideally, the team needs a lefty bat at shortstop or 1B. One of the K

Davises would be options, but they're not going to arrive in Milwaukee

until 2013 at the earliest. Same for Dennis.

I think that Escobar is a little bit more entrenched at this point than Casey McGehee.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived