Brewer Fanatic

Marlins sign Javier Vazquez to 1-year deal [Latest: $7MM, Full NTC, No Arby Allowed]

And That

The link is broken. This makes a lot of sense for Vazquez. Take an incentive laden 1 year deal and go back to the NL East where he had so much success in 2009. He has a home in Miami too, so it was probably an easy choice for both sides. I would have liked to see the Brewers get him on the cheap, but like you say, it probably wasn't even considered by Vazquez.

Probably due to my Packers hangover, but why would Vazquez care about the arbitration clause? Just to help make him more sign-able next offseason?

In the event he does have a huge season with the Marlins and potentially improves his free agent status to a Type A, teams may be more hesitant to sign him if it cost them a first-round pick (or even a second).

He was my lone hope for a free agent signing. I figured his high K numbers could help him get out of holes dug by the Brewers poor defense, and his down season with the Yankees could allow the Brewers to sign him to a one-year deal (like he did with the Marlins) when the Brewers have plenty of money to spend. I never really expected he'd come here, and now I can finally close that door.

Now we still need two pitchers, and the only way we'll get them is at the expense of our offense (trade Fielder, Gamel, McGehee, Weeks, etc.) or at the expense of some of our young pitching in the minors. I hope Melvin is able to successfully walk that tightrope.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived